2 DOOR JL build/order discussions master thread

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 11 Ram 1500, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk
Well, I think I need a lift next. I spun my tires on my rubi, probably should wait a bit til they run down a bit. But found out on trail jeepers use lifted daily drivers, they don't hold back lifting. . It's an expensive plan, so your opinion, one inch or two? I assume the 1 vs 2 need different tires? What do y'all recommend? I'm just a beginner but folks on the trail are supper nice. They also will be stuck if they don't help but mainly they are awesome. That's how you learn.
It has been super fun. Heading back to savannah in the morning.

5C9E8A0E-A1CB-4A5B-8EAE-AA1F0AF7626D.jpeg
A lift won’t keep your tires from spinning. It all depends on the trails that you want to go on or the look that you are going for. The tires should match the trails also. Are you looking for mud tires, rock crawlers or gravel roads? If it’s for looks that’s personal too. Some people like a tire that fills the wheel well and some like tires that show room for travel.
Advertisement

Last edited:

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Edition JLR
Build Thread
Link
Well, I think I need a lift next. I spun my tires on my rubi, probably should wait a bit til they run down a bit. But found out on trail jeepers use lifted daily drivers, they don't hold back lifting. . It's an expensive plan, so your opinion, one inch or two? I assume the 1 vs 2 need different tires? What do y'all recommend? I'm just a beginner but folks on the trail are supper nice. They also will be stuck if they don't help but mainly they are awesome. That's how you learn.

Looks like so much fun!

Lifts are a tough one, and as important as tire choice. I chose the Metalcloak 2.5" game changer because I love how comfortable they are with no squeaks and creaks. They also allow for great articulation so tires stay on the ground. I don't think I would have gotten a lift if I weren't scraping so much on a trail, but more I noticed how little travel I had. Hitting speed bumps at speed now without hitting the bump stops. Yay!

Seriously though, lifts help with many things and you should write down what's important to you and where you will be going. Try to find the one that helps your goals.

You may still find that the stock suspension will do the job. Maybe all you need is better shocks and more time finding the right line? Always have fun, whichever way you decide to go. 🍻

jlopes68

First Name
john
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase

I’d recommend metalcloak 2.5" lift. My reason is longevity between maintenance intervals. Bushings wear out, these just last much longer than many others I’ve had experience with.

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
I’d recommend metalcloak 2.5" lift. My reason is longevity between maintenance intervals. Bushings wear out, these just last much longer than many others I’ve had experience with.
[/QUOTE
Thank you everyone. I really don't want mud tires but just trail worthy.
I understand about the spinning; I realize a lift won't resolve thadd to, but only practice, practice. Wish we had some good keeping around here... going twice a year is great but hard to learn
Going to Troy North Carolina Jeepfest this weekend so I see how I survive.

IMBlu

First Name
Cristina
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door ocean blue jl
Anyone had problems or heard of Fob failing intermittently on wranglers? Sometimes it won't open the door, or will but will not start. They finished checking it but this has been intermittent and of course it didn't happen while at the mechanic. I'm just wandering if this happened to other wranglers.

cmb

First Name
Chad
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Anyone had problems or heard of Fob failing intermittently on wranglers? Sometimes it won't open the door, or will but will not start. They finished checking it but this has been intermittent and of course it didn't happen while at the mechanic. I'm just wandering if this happened to other wranglers.
You try replacing the battery? When this happened with my Audi usually just needed to replace the fob battery then would work just like new again.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Try changing battery in fob?
Edit: oops, little slow.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I had problems with my driver side and tailgate proximity. Gradually got worse after a year. The driver side door would not work 25% of the time. The tailgate would not work 50% of the time. I initially thought it might have been a bad remote battery but it happened with both remotes and new batteries. The dealer confirmed there were problems and located the problems. The driver side door was a bad connection at the plug for the proximity. The plug was not fully seated during assembly. It worked 100% after they snapped and locked the connector. The rear tailgate was a defective proximity antenna.

Your issue might be different? I never had any issue with not starting. I'd replace the FOB battery first to see if that fixes the problem.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Mine does it when it’s cold.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried replacing the FOB battery? Cold temps can reduce the output of a marginal battery.
I have not yet, I’m in Southern California so it’s rarely that cold🤣

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement