First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EHS
Plenty of support out there. I installed the Race Chip GTS performance programmer (piggy back style). Mishimoto IC pipe, AFE intake filter, AFE muffler delete pipe, Pedal Commander throttle augmenter. Im not saying its a beast but its stupid how quick it is with 37's and stock 4.10 gears.
That's awesome to hear. I'll be putting my 38's on once I have enough saved up for the Metalcloak lift so this definitely sounds promising in trying to get at least stock power back with larger tires.
Sponsored

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
So... with all my mods as stated previously. I just came back from a 8 day trip. Completed Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Mosquito Pass, all with zero performance issues with 37's and stock rubicon gearing. At 13,000 ft. I had no problems. It, for me, was a proof in concept!

20200809_122853.jpg

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey @Reconatrek,

Just wanted to pop in since you had some concerns about our intake. I don't think I've seen any accounts of CELs with our intake, but please feel free to forward any along if there are issues I've missed. We do have one customer reporting a lack of power at higher road speed, but we're still troubleshooting with them to determine if the intake is the cause of the issue - if it is, we'll definitely be working with them to make sure it gets taken care of.

We put a ton of R&D time into all of our 2.0T products, so we want to be sure all of our customers are getting the best performance from them as well. While our intake did not make any significant power on the stock tune, it does flow 39% better than the stock intake, so it should free up some power with a tune as others have said.

As far as oiled vs dry filters go, it's really a matter of preference. Both our filters are washable and reusable, but the oiled filter does require a cleaning and re-oil kit, which adds a bit to the cost and time to clean it. I will say, a lot of the issues people experience with oiled filters are due to over-oiling on MAF-based cars. Since the JL is a MAP based car, you shouldn't have any issue with an oiled filter, especially if you only apply enough oil to saturate the filter material. All of that being said, our oiled filter actually flows better than the dry filter - the oil allows the filter to remove smaller particles with a less dense filter material.

Overall, a tune is definitely one of the best, if not the best mod you can do to these newer turbo engines. The JB4 is a great product and I know a lot of people who have used them on various other vehicles and have nothing but good things to say about them. After a tune, everything else is just added power :)

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns; I'm happy to help any way I can!

-Steve

OP
OP
Reconatrek

Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Hey @Reconatrek,

Just wanted to pop in since you had some concerns about our intake. I don't think I've seen any accounts of CELs with our intake, but please feel free to forward any along if there are issues I've missed. We do have one customer reporting a lack of power at higher road speed, but we're still troubleshooting with them to determine if the intake is the cause of the issue - if it is, we'll definitely be working with them to make sure it gets taken care of.

We put a ton of R&D time into all of our 2.0T products, so we want to be sure all of our customers are getting the best performance from them as well. While our intake did not make any significant power on the stock tune, it does flow 39% better than the stock intake, so it should free up some power with a tune as others have said.

As far as oiled vs dry filters go, it's really a matter of preference. Both our filters are washable and reusable, but the oiled filter does require a cleaning and re-oil kit, which adds a bit to the cost and time to clean it. I will say, a lot of the issues people experience with oiled filters are due to over-oiling on MAF-based cars. Since the JL is a MAP based car, you shouldn't have any issue with an oiled filter, especially if you only apply enough oil to saturate the filter material. All of that being said, our oiled filter actually flows better than the dry filter - the oil allows the filter to remove smaller particles with a less dense filter material.

Overall, a tune is definitely one of the best, if not the best mod you can do to these newer turbo engines. The JB4 is a great product and I know a lot of people who have used them on various other vehicles and have nothing but good things to say about them. After a tune, everything else is just added power :)

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns; I'm happy to help any way I can!

-Steve
Thanks Steve. I have read a few different threads with CELs coming on after intake installation, shouldnā€™t be too hard to find if you search ā€˜Mishimotoā€™. One or two may have been early on in product release. To your point, it sounds like those are anomalies, which is why Iā€™m still considering the intake.

Is the 39% flow increase with an oiled filter? What was the flow increase with dry? Iā€™m just not a fan of oiled filters on an everyday driver.

Last point: you guys did a ton of R&D. I read the saga, it was quite a journey getting this intake where it is, and a noble effort. By the end of the project, with no/nearly non-existent change in stock sound and power, Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t take it across the goal line and measure output on the intake with and without a tune (eg JB4), then measure the 2.0 with a tune, both with and without the intake. That would provide some great data with which one could make a decision, and decide if risking a voided warranty on engine and powertrain on a brand new $50k vehicle is worth it.

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks Steve. I have read a few different threads with CELs coming on after intake installation, shouldnā€™t be too hard to find if you search ā€˜Mishimotoā€™. One or two may have been early on in product release. To your point, it sounds like those are anomalies, which is why Iā€™m still considering the intake.

Is the 39% flow increase with an oiled filter? What was the flow increase with dry? Iā€™m just not a fan of oiled filters on an everyday driver.

Last point: you guys did a ton of R&D. I read the saga, it was quite a journey getting this intake where it is, and a noble effort. By the end of the project, with no/nearly non-existent change in stock sound and power, Iā€™m surprised you didnā€™t take it across the goal line and measure output on the intake with and without a tune (eg JB4), then measure the 2.0 with a tune, both with and without the intake. That would provide some great data with which one could make a decision, and decide if risking a voided warranty on engine and powertrain on a brand new $50k vehicle is worth it.
Hey @Reconatrek,

I did a search and couldn't find any threads referring to CELs with our intake. Maybe it was people talking about the S&B kit in our threads, or CELs with our 2.0T catch can at high altitude? I know S&B had some issues with their intake that they corrected early on, and we did have some CELs from customers running our 2.0T catch can at high altitude.

The flow increase we advertise is with the oiled filter installed. With the dry filter installed, our intake flows about 33% better than stock, so only a 6% drop in flow from the oiled filter. I actually usually do recommend the oiled filter for a daily driver - it filters just as well, if not better than a dry filter, and as long as it's not over-oiled, you shouldn't have any issues with oil infiltrating the intake. We run oiled filters on all of our R&D vehicles, and I've been running one on my personal vehicle for about 3 years now with no issue - and it's a VW, so that's saying a lot :LOL:

As for tuning, there wasn't an off-the-shelf tuning option available when we were finishing up R&D, and since this is a new platform, we've been waiting to see if one system becomes the most popular so that we can test all of our parts with that. It's definitely something we do for other vehicles where tuning is more readily available, but it's still on our to-do list for the JL.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!
-Steve
Sponsored