Backup Camera will be standard on 2018 Wrangler

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
I have my JK rear camera peeking thru the spokes of the spare. It works well there, but I had hoped that the "geniuses" at Jeep could come up with something better for the JL.

For one example, have a pair of cameras integrated into each of the new tail lights, and then digitally "stitch" the two images into one single wide-screen view for infotainment screen in the dash. This way, factory spare or no spare, factory carrier or no carrier, factory tailgate or no tailgate, factory rear bumper or no bumper, would not matter to the rear view camera.
Sponsored

Mach_eyy

First Name
Maciek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (Bright White)
I have my JK rear camera peeking thru the spokes of the spare. It works well there, but I had hoped that the "geniuses" at Jeep could come up with something better for the JL.

For one example, have a pair of cameras integrated into each of the new tail lights, and then digitally "stitch" the two images into one single wide-screen view for infotainment screen in the dash. This way, factory spare or no spare, factory carrier or no carrier, factory tailgate or no tailgate, factory rear bumper or no bumper, would not matter to the rear view camera.
Makes me wonder why the more viable option of placing the camera in the Center High Mount 3rd brake light wasn't taken into consideration. That's where the back-up camera is on the 300 and Charger.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Makes me wonder while the more viable option of placing the camera in the Center High Mount 3rd brake light wasn't taken into consideration. That's where the back-up camera is on the 300 and Charger.
Because there's a spare tire in the way, which means it can't have the same severe angle on the Charger and see over the spare, and if it looks straight out from that position it's not showing what's directly behind the Wrangler.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because there's a spare tire in the way, which means it can't have the same severe angle on the Charger and see over the spare, and if it looks straight out from that position it's not showing what's directly behind the Wrangler.
See, I would flip that around, and say that possibly Jeep needs to find a better place for the 3rd brake light too. For example, I know of a much, much better place for the rear wiper motor, one that will not block what little rear-ward vision there is, and also result in a better wipe of the glass. If I can figure it out so easily, why can't Jeep?

Come on Jeep, get off your damn butts and put your brains into 4WD mode.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See, I would flip that around, and say that possibly Jeep needs to find a better place for the 3rd brake light too. For example, I know of a much, much better place for the rear wiper motor, one that will not block what little rear-ward vision there is, and also result in a better wipe of the glass. If I can figure it out so easily, why can't Jeep?
Well we know of the wiper-motor change to the bottom from the mules.
However, where are you putting the 3rd brake light that still has it there for top swaps, and also isn't likely to get damaged during or delay/complicated spare tyre changes?

The issue is that even the straight forward "in the bumper" location is complicated by a large number of Jeepers swapping bumpers. There is no area in the rear of this vehicle that doesn't have a probable , not just possible, challenge from normal Wrangler owners.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
However, where are you putting the 3rd brake light that still has it there for top swaps, and also isn't likely to get damaged during or delay/complicated spare tyre changes?
Ah, you're thinking like a Jeep engineer. :punch:

"How do I make it different, without actually changing anything?" You can't.

That's why EVERYTHING needs to change, if one wants improvement. Nothing can be held sacred and can't be touched. Though, I'll give kudos to Jeep engineers for what we believe is the change for the folding windshield. They found an answer to the problem of how to make the entire windshield assembly fold down, without actually having the entire windshield assembly fold down? :idea:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if we're gonna change 'everything' then I'm asking Santa for a swing-out/fold-down tailgate! ;)
I'll accept Barn-door option also.

I think the most adaptable, and also lateral re-think that addresses most of the concerns was your previous comment about stitching together two rear views from the edges, it provides wider coverage and more adaptability for all the customization. It would cost more though and everyone complains about that, but I think in reality the ROI is well worth it.

The issue with the 3rd brake light is it plays a role (not for that solution just in general) and kinda has to be there by law, so the flexibility in that system is more limited because it kinda has to be inthat soecific place and deal with the windows and spare.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Backup Camera is STANDARD for the JL, but not for the 2018 JK, because its an EOL , production ending early in 2018 ??
Ditto LED , or vastly Improved headlights ? Side Airbags ? I ask, because the" End of Life" deal is side- stepping some major improvements for a very popular vehicle, and dealers are not well informed on this. Clarification, please

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
LED lights and side-impact airbags (NOT side curtain airbags) are Options on the current JK. Backup camera is aftermarket and is complicated by the fact that a console screen is not standard but available as an option. All of these things will be standard on the JL due to new regulations.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ask, because the" End of Life" deal is side- stepping some major improvements for a very popular vehicle, and dealers are not well informed on this. Clarification, please
It is not really side-stepping. The backup camera will not be required on vehicles built before May 2018. Production of the "very popular" JK will have ended by then. No need to go thru the cost modifying a 10+ year old design, when the fix is in the new JL design.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The 1997 TJ had airbags. The YJs "ended" in 1995 because in 1996 airbags were required. The YJs were produced almost to the end of the year in 1995. Happens.

Then Chrysler closed the 29-year-old Brampton plant and moved the Wrangler back to Toledo, with production going from July 1992 to December 1995. The 1995 model year was extended and the 1997 model year began early (in January 1996); there was no 1996 Wrangler.
Jeep sold 119,309 1995 YJs. Up from 75,691 1994s but not as many 1997 TJs (149,073)
Sponsored