Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
thanks for the info. There was a lot of movement and rattling with bike on which is why I was concerned. I spoke to 1up and they advised to use a washer or shim of some type.
Sounds like their design has taken a step backwards. The older design like mine allows a little bit of play up and down but nothing like what you're describing, and I've never noticed any rattling from the rack.
Sponsored

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
1 Up Bike Rack Review. I wanted to give a review of my new bike rack. We have 2 mountain bikes and 2 e mountain bikes (emtb) but we only take 2 at a time. Given the weight of the emtb, there are only a few racks where you can carry those. I scoured this forum, the net and You-Tube for several weeks. I finally decided on the 1 Up Super Duty bike rack for 2 bikes. Here is my review:

1. The bike rack arrived within 5 day days of ordering via Fed-X. Great packaging and the box could be kept to store the rack in when not in use.

2. Very good instructions. I did need to make one call to customer support for something I forgot to read and they actually answered the call without voice mail, and they were very helpful. Even with the call, it only took me 20 minutes to be ready to go even adding an extra I ordered (See 6 below).

3. The rack is excellent build quality, all aluminum except for the bolts. No plastic anywhere. Fit and finish excellent.

4. Fit onto my truck perfect. Very secure mount up with 1 Up’s mounting system. I did recheck the mount bolt after 40 miles to tighten hitch mounting bolt slightly.

5. For my JLUR, I bought the 1 Up hitch extender for the rack and bikes to clear my spare tire. Another forum member mentioned the hitch extender had some movement and was having some issues with I solid fit. My hitch extender fit perfect with no movement. Very solid mount. The bike rack itself when mounted to either the truck with no extender, or the Jeep with the extender, has some slight movement, but so does every other bike rack I’ve seen. The mounts to the hitch are solid.

6. The one negative is the that mechanism to move the rack from upright (with no bikes), to bike carrying position is awkward. 1 Up sells, and I bought, an “EZ-Pull Handle” which make adjusting the rack very simple. It was an extra $69. They really need to include this with the bike racks.

Overall very satisfied with this product.

311BE3D0-7AFB-417A-B347-EF3CA334E963.jpeg

EE21B9DB-D991-421B-89E3-8CB06B8F3C45.jpeg

8845998C-D231-4F6F-B9FF-B9074718AC9A.jpeg

BA9E8A72-3616-4D4A-80F8-25083E7006F2.jpeg

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Added this to my 1up :

AA19AEE2-3D65-4E89-A3A3-CB9D21A825D5.jpeg
277313FD-C618-4A3A-87A2-DAD7361EACB4.jpeg
3EDA0541-5F35-44CD-AD9F-DB0AFA049857.jpeg

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That pivot accessory is a cool option!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ugh. I'm getting back into Biking and Now I need a bike rack since before I had a truck I never worried much. But now I'm looking for the JEEP and holy cow they are pricey.

Sponsored

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Ugh. I'm getting back into Biking and Now I need a bike rack since before I had a truck I never worried much. But now I'm looking for the JEEP and holy cow they are pricey.
Remember, you get what you pay for. Think of it as a Jeep accessory, not as a bike accessory.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
1 Up Bike Rack Review. I wanted to give a review of my new bike rack. We have 2 mountain bikes and 2 e mountain bikes (emtb) but we only take 2 at a time. Given the weight of the emtb, there are only a few racks where you can carry those. I scoured this forum, the net and You-Tube for several weeks. I finally decided on the 1 Up Super Duty bike rack for 2 bikes. Here is my review:
I remember years ago when my buddy said that he finally bought a bike rack. I asked him which one.
He said, "Google most bad-ass bike rack."

Then he said, "Google most expensive bike rack."

I've always wanted one, but hard to justify since I already have a T2 setup with a 2-bike add-on so I can carry four bikes. No, I haven't used it on my JL. Oddly, only on my long bed Ram truck.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Craigslist is your friend. Always deals to be bad there. Those thins are way over priced.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
Craigslist is your friend. Always deals to be bad there. Those thins are way over priced.
Ya no kidding. Gonna hit up facebook marketplace or craigslist

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I remember years ago when my buddy said that he finally bought a bike rack. I asked him which one.
He said, "Google most bad-ass bike rack."

Then he said, "Google most expensive bike rack."

I've always wanted one, but hard to justify since I already have a T2 setup with a 2-bike add-on so I can carry four bikes. No, I haven't used it on my JL. Oddly, only on my long bed Ram truck.
I didn't get my 1Up until my T2 was starting to rust out... I got sick of replacing parts every year due to it not being very weather resistant. The 1Up is just over a year old now and only shows a bit of sun fade on the anodizing. It was expensive, but has been far better than all the other options out there.

PS, I sold bike racks for almost 30 years.

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
1-up with a hitch extender is perfect for me. It folds down enough to open the tailgate. All the high quality ones are expensive. No way around it unless you find a great deal on Facebook or Craigslist. Check Facebook for a local bike sale club. Generally easier to weed out some of the crap on just the Marketplace.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
I’ve only had two but one was Craigslist which I got for a steal and the other was at an REI Garage sale thing. Yakima hold up at half price.

definite deals to be had out there just gotta look around and be patient.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
I do have a pioneer roof rack. Wonder if it’ll be too high up to mount bikes up there.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I'm going to read this entire thread later when I have more time, but the first 1/4 or so didn't really give me any clear answers.

If anyone has a model/brand that jumps out at you... (I'm going to watch for a used one)

I'm looking for an inexpensive hitch mount bike rack for OCCASIONAL use (for 1-2 bikes). Something that's easy to put on and take off, easy to store (well, as easy as a bike rack can be, anyway) and is preferably platform style (not hanging). My current one is hanging and I don't like it. I need to buy an extender for it anyway, but I would much rather just replace it with a new one (I can buy an extender now and a new rack later, if need be).

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
I'm going to read this entire thread later when I have more time, but the first 1/4 or so didn't really give me any clear answers.

If anyone has a model/brand that jumps out at you... (I'm going to watch for a used one)

I'm looking for an inexpensive hitch mount bike rack for OCCASIONAL use (for 1-2 bikes). Something that's easy to put on and take off, easy to store (well, as easy as a bike rack can be, anyway) and is preferably platform style (not hanging). My current one is hanging and I don't like it. I need to buy an extender for it anyway, but I would much rather just replace it with a new one (I can buy an extender now and a new rack later, if need be).
Perhaps my video might help?
Sponsored