Radio Issue - turns itself on

akasjl

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I searched the forum and have not come across this issue and apologies if I missed a relevant thread. I have a JL w/an 8.4 UCONNECT and would like to know if anyone has the following issue. Have you ever turned off the radio, the car, started the car back up later and the radio just turns on by itself w/o manually turning it on? This happens to me frequently. At first I thought I was forgetting to turn off the radio but that is not it at all. Is this an issue with the JL? TIA.
Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I have an '18 JL with 8.4 Uconnect. Yes, several times during the last year the radio would turn itself on, when I started up the Rubi. I have assumed that the electronic 'geniuses' at Jeep still don't know much about their own design. "It's a Jeep...live with it"

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
I believe that you’re wanting to have the radio off 24-7 correct? Yes, even if you turn off the radio before you shut off the vehicle it will always automatically come back on when you start the car next time. That’s by default. No way around it, other than turning it off as soon as you see it starting up.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Why would you not want the radio on....

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
My 2014 RAM 1500 is that way too. It’s radio is never “off”; there’s a mute button to silence it. I was wondering if the JL was like that too. Still waiting for mine to be built.

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I believe that you’re wanting to have the radio off 24-7 correct? Yes, even if you turn off the radio before you shut off the vehicle it will always automatically come back on when you start the car next time. That’s by default. No way around it, other than turning it off as soon as you see it starting up.
By design...
Every FCA vehicle I've owned in the last, oh five or six years, has done this. At least since about '18 they've had a mute button...

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Mine does the same. It's kind of annoying.

You can turn the volume all the way to zero so when it starts back up at least it's almost like it's off.
That's what I do, and if i've been listening to stuff from a usb drive, I switch to FM so it doesn't keep playing through.

Hitdog540

First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2015BMW 550xi
Occupation
Retired
I searched the forum and have not come across this issue and apologies if I missed a relevant thread. I have a JL w/an 8.4 UCONNECT and would like to know if anyone has the following issue. Have you ever turned off the radio, the car, started the car back up later and the radio just turns on by itself w/o manually turning it on? This happens to me frequently. At first I thought I was forgetting to turn off the radio but that is not it at all. Is this an issue with the JL? TIA.
I'm confused...why are we turning the radio off???

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused...why are we turning the radio off???
Everyone, the OP is talking about the actual FM radio that makes noise, not the whole head unit. Yes mine does this and it’s super annoying. I have no desire, ever, under any circumstances, for any reason whatsoever, at any time, in any place, whatsoever, to listen to FM radio. But every once in a while it’ll just present itself to remind me it still exists I guess. Go the fuck away, FM, your time is past...

Sponsored

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
The VAST majority of buyers today are using Carplay and Android Auto in new cars (mostly the lower end of the market)...BUT, given the system architecture for the radio systems is a shared system as a baseline between MOST of the systems offered in any manufacturer's lineup, you get shared behavior like this.

And since many states have laws around use of mobile devices during driving, being able to plug-n-play when you start your car, and have voice control systems instantly available to help comply with state laws, we get always on/instant start audio systems that cannot be "turned off". muted after powered up? Sure, but that's YOUR choice. Their choice is to avoid liability. ;)

If you want a system that can be turned off, the aftermarket is happy to help, but with Alpine's new 8.4 replacement system coming in at $3,000 (!) for the head unit, that's an expensive option. Might be easier to develop the habit of simply turning the volume knob to zero before exiting the Jeep. ;)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to make sure before I spoke. I have the 8.4 Alpine system. I just ran errands and when I turned Radio off after motor was off it came right on when I started again. When I turned the radio off before turning motor off my radio did not come on when started. I had to press the button on. I did this 2 times to make sure. You might try that.

rcass46220

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
My 2018 JLUR radio has no sound when running, when turning off the Jeep the sound comes back on.

Has anyone had this issue?

Called UConnemt for help and they directed me to the dealer to get the latest firmware update, QR40.1. Dealership updated the firmware, but the radio has the same issue. - no sound when engine is running.

Dealership said the radio needs replaced at $950.00.

I don't think the issue is the radio, I think the engine on/off switch or UConnect HUB is not programmed correctly.

If I'm going to replace the radio, at $850.00, I will upgrade the radio - sad.

UConnect should provide more services and help debug and help figure out what is failing.

Looking for options to try.
Sponsored