Sponsored

Just took delivery! First thoughts from a first time Jeep owner.

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Thanks to the actions of my amazing dealership, I was able to take delivery on my ordered JLUR last night!

My first Jeep... heck, my first vehicle that wasn't a GM.

This thing feels rock solid, everything about it looks and feels like quality. I feel like I'm driving a tank (in a good way). I've already put over 200 miles on it--and I haven't even had to make excuses to find reasons to go out to the store yet.

Some things that seemed unclear to me for the last month or so of reading the forums until I picked up my own:

I got the all weather floor mats, which do not have the red Jeep logo. I don't think I mind one way or another as it's on the floor and there are plenty of other red accents throughout. Also, they came installed, in place, but I noticed the drain plugs were not in them, and they didn't sit flush. The carpet beneath for the drain plugs were not cut out and the plugs were still in the bottom of the floor. It was a few seconds to fix--most of the holes are already cut.

I don't mind the red dash at all. I think it shows up a LOT more prominently in the CG renderings on the Jeep.com site and perhaps in photos which use lighting as well. It's more of a burnt red/subdued color.

I'm also surprised that the auto start/stop system doesn't bother me either. When I first heard about it being in the JL and many people here being unhappy with it, I worried it would bug me. I honestly forget it's there unless I'm thinking about it. The process to kick back on is faster than the time it takes me to take my foot off the brake and place it on the gas pedal.

Android Auto is fantastic and I don't know how I ever lived without it! My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to pause playback on audio sources through it (Google Music, Audible Audiobooks, Podcasts). If I use voice commands to pause playback, it stops it fully and closes the (music/audiobook/podcast) app. Am I missing something?

I, like everyone else, currently have no offroad pages on the main 8.4" display and eagerly awaiting those to be added back in on a flash update. I really hope they keep the GPS coords. as a display option there.

I haven't been able to find the splices/heat shrink pack that comes when you get the AUX switches--are these hidden in the vehicle somewhere? It's not a big deal--I have more of those type of things lying around than I know what to do with from other hobbies--mostly just curiosity.

I have the hard top with headliner. It's definitely louder to drive on the highway than other vehicles I've owned, but I wouldn't say it's "loud." Plenty quiet to have a normal volume conversation with anyone else in the vehicle, front or back seats.

The LED headlights are bright as heck! Though no one has flashed their own high beams at me to yell at me for them yet, and most of my driving has been at night so far.

On purely highway driving, 65-68mph, relatively flat roads, I was getting 21-22mpg. Once I got into the stop/go traffic off the highway for the second half of my drive, it dropped down, but my trip average is still 18-19. I'm going to count this as a win because it's barely less than I get in my car.

I'm finding all sorts of little things about the design that just show how much thought went into the details such as the little plastic clip in the back to hold the electrical connector and washer fluid hose when you take the top off.

This waving at other wrangler owners you pass is really a thing. I've heard about it, but only today experienced it... and then experienced it again.... and again.... and again... and again. I almost got tired of having to wave. =P

I'm also drawing a lot of attention... I don't think there are many JLs in the area yet. I've only seen two others since they first started being delivered and both times I was on the interstate.

Overall, very happy. I'm smiling every time I drive it, even on my way to work. I hope my car doesn't get jealous, but I'll be sticking to the Jeep for the next week or so. I can't wait for nicer weather so I can start taking parts off of it. =D

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
Sponsored

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
That's the granite crystal, no? That's the color in eyeing for my Rubi. Yours looks good

Sponsored

LydiaSP613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thanks to the actions of my amazing dealership, I was able to take delivery on my ordered JLUR last night!

This thing feels rock solid, everything about it looks and feels like quality. I feel like I'm driving a tank (in a good way). I've already put over 200 miles on it--and I haven't even had to make excuses to find reasons to go out to the store yet.

Some things that seemed unclear to me for the last month or so of reading the forums until I picked up my own:

I got the all weather floor mats, which do not have the red Jeep logo. I don't think I mind one way or another as it's on the floor and there are plenty of other red accents throughout. Also, they came installed, in place, but I noticed the drain plugs were not in them, and they didn't sit flush. The carpet beneath for the drain plugs were not cut out and the plugs were still in the bottom of the floor. It was a few seconds to fix--most of the holes are already cut.

I don't mind the red dash at all. I think it shows up a LOT more prominently in the CG renderings on the Jeep.com site and perhaps in photos which use lighting as well. It's more of a burnt red/subdued color.

I'm also surprised that the auto start/stop system doesn't bother me either. When I first heard about it being in the JL and many people here being unhappy with it, I worried it would bug me. I honestly forget it's there unless I'm thinking about it. The process to kick back on is faster than the time it takes me to take my foot off the brake and place it on the gas pedal.

Android Auto is fantastic and I don't know how I ever lived without it! My only complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a way to pause playback on audio sources through it (Google Music, Audible Audiobooks, Podcasts). If I use voice commands to pause playback, it stops it fully and closes the (music/audiobook/podcast) app. Am I missing something?

I, like everyone else, currently have no offroad pages on the main 8.4" display and eagerly awaiting those to be added back in on a flash update. I really hope they keep the GPS coords. as a display option there.

I haven't been able to find the splices/heat shrink pack that comes when you get the AUX switches--are these hidden in the vehicle somewhere? It's not a big deal--I have more of those type of things lying around than I know what to do with from other hobbies--mostly just curiosity.

I have the hard top with headliner. It's definitely louder to drive on the highway than other vehicles I've owned, but I wouldn't say it's "loud." Plenty quiet to have a normal volume conversation with anyone else in the vehicle, front or back seats.

The LED headlights are bright as heck! Though no one has flashed their own high beams at me to yell at me for them yet, and most of my driving has been at night so far.

On purely highway driving, 65-68mph, relatively flat roads, I was getting 21-22mpg. Once I got into the stop/go traffic off the highway for the second half of my drive, it dropped down, but my trip average is still 18-19. I'm going to count this as a win because it's barely less than I get in my car.

I'm finding all sorts of little things about the design that just show how much thought went into the details such as the little plastic clip in the back to hold the electrical connector and washer fluid hose when you take the top off.

This waving at other wrangler owners you pass is really a thing. I've heard about it, but only today experienced it... and then experienced it again.... and again.... and again... and again. I almost got tired of having to wave. =P

I'm also drawing a lot of attention... I don't think there are many JLs in the area yet. I've only seen two others since they first started being delivered and both times I was on the interstate.

Overall, very happy. I'm smiling every time I drive it, even on my way to work. I hope my car doesn't get jealous, but I'll be sticking to the Jeep for the next week or so. I can't wait for nicer weather so I can start taking parts off of it. =D

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
Congratulations!!! :party:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Great write up. Thanks for posting this.

OP
OP
GMCarGuy

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMCarGuy,
Congratulations, thanks for the well-written post. Enjoy your Heep (Hispanic pronunciation, I'm in New Mexico...).
Randy
Hah, good to know! Thanks.

That's the granite crystal, no? That's the color in eyeing for my Rubi. Yours looks good
Yes, Granite Crystal. It's darker than I thought it would be, but I really love it. Definitely glad I got the black hardtop and fenders though--it needs the contrasting color in my opinion.

Aux wires in the interior are behind the glovebox.
Hrm, I went to have a look and couldn't find wires, but I found a connection bus/bar thing. No splices or heatshrink like other people have found. Unless I'm missing the connectors for that bus bar I won't worry too much about it.

I just got home from the store, where I picked up $1.80 worth of things... it was totally not an excuse to go take my first drive in the rain. No leaks! Hurray!

Sponsored

OP
OP
GMCarGuy

GMCarGuy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's definitely behind the glove box.
Ahhh, ok. I was behind there, and saw those green connectors just above the glovebox hinge and thought that was it. I assume I just didn't pull those wires out of where they were hidden.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Great write up. That was my second choice in colors. I'm waiting for my Punk'n to be built.

In the mean time, I live vicariously through you new owners. Enjoy the new lifestyle.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter

-Jim

IMG_20180227_183454.jpg
Beautiful jeep!!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Congrats!!! Your comment about smiling while driving is something I always try to explain to nonjeep owners... how could you ever not be happy driving a jeep! Wait till you go topless!!!!
Sponsored