First time Jeep Owner!

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Congrats! I’m 7k miles into my first one.

Just a note, might want to look into side steps early. I have dings on my door hinges from rocks flying up and hitting them. Wish someone would’ve told me to prioritize those.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Seanjackmc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red
Put some rock rails on that and you have yourself a winner! Excellent Jeep :)
Do you have a suggestion on rock rails? This is our first Jeep. It's my wife's DD and her first fun vehicle since driving a mini van for 8 years. So far we are both really happy with it. I'm ok admitting I know nothing and open to all suggestions! Thanks

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ll say this- being new is/was scary. You see so much info that you assume everyone is this mega expert.

The best part about owning a Jeep is that you can make it yours. I made a few mistakes over the years, but most of the time I went to meet ups, read the internet, or simply just flipped through a magazine. Quadratec and 4wd are fab favorites to me, and I use them as a Christmas list most of the time.

So to answer your question- I have the nfab with side steps. I have little kids and some of the more hard core rails don’t do well for little legs getting in and out.

Because the JL is new, there are somewhat limited offerings. So keep an eye out - and don’t throw anything away. Jeepers will buy stock and aftermarket. So if you cruise the classifieds, you find some good deals. Then you can sell the parts you remove or keep them and swap back out of you swap Jeeps down the line.

Hope that helps. I was new a few years back and I was scared to death to talk Jeeps. Everyone seemed to have a pre-made book of reference and I was a sport bike/sports car guy. But you’ll find that most everyone is cool and willing to jump in!

0959016A-FF1F-48E7-A6E7-B83D53263FA7.jpeg

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a suggestion on rock rails? This is our first Jeep. It's my wife's DD and her first fun vehicle since driving a mini van for 8 years. So far we are both really happy with it. I'm ok admitting I know nothing and open to all suggestions! Thanks
Rock rails are nice especially if you ever take it off road, not only for rocks but mine in my JK have come in handy going over logs as well. I would suggest placing some protectant on the hinges, see link below for some suggestions.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/door-hinge-rock-chips.7287/page-7

I would do this even if you get rock rails or steps to help deflect the throwing of stones that you may get with your JL

OP
OP

Seanjackmc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for suggestions above. Lots to learn which is one of the things I enjoy. The rock rails with steps seem like a great option. I have little ones and getting in and out easier while adding some protection seems like a nice way to go! Thanks again

Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have little kids and went with the MOPAR ones. They are grippy, functional as rock rails, and still allow me to step out over them without having to use them. I tried several types on the JKs last fall and didn't like ones that were too wide because I HAD to step on them and couldn't exit around them.

Some other options in this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rails-on-their-rubicon.3061/page-4#post-76843

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
OP
OP

Seanjackmc

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have these on my sport. I would see if anyone local is selling it as a take off of their rubicon. That’s what I did I got a set for $250. They really look good as a trim piece as well. Here’s some photos so you can see of me around Yosemite, then the last two are before I put them on.

50B3D62D-2369-4402-9313-F3B68BD6F5B1.jpeg
45088EF2-DF1B-403B-A0AF-7112B6A6C1BA.jpeg
BC0DC84E-B507-4747-8FD3-CE0C0DA3A967.jpeg

374B2850-3D36-4C1B-BD2B-1B51354E2922.jpeg
F6B78086-8DBD-4382-828E-88B8C15BD7BD.jpeg
Thanks for the tip, checked local CL and found a set at half the cost! I like the ways yours looks without the step, nice and clean

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Thanks for the tip, checked local CL and found a set at half the cost! I like the ways yours looks without the step, nice and clean
Great! And thank you! Welcome to the Jeep family this was also my first but now has 6500 miles haha. Installation was easy just 3 or 4 bolts per side I forget which size sorry!
Sponsored