Sponsored

Help me decide: Sahara or Rubicon

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys think that cloth is better to go with over the leather.. Thinking of cold and hot weather and comfort for riding?
Personal preference. I'll be going cloth to save $$. Plus they won't burn the sheet out of my legs in summer in the hot sun.
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
OP: this may be the easiest question I've fielded here.

...this vehicle will be my daily driver,

Then you'll appreciate the JL Sahara, reported by reviewers to ride with the smoothness of pretty much any SUV now.

This is by no means to trash the Rubi--just the that highway ride (perhaps it's tires dependent mostly) as apt to be rougher.

.....but it will not get a lot of off road use other than the occasional dirt road, or light trail.

The Rubi might be the go to choice if off roading was a priority over daily driving. For you it isn't. Sahara. Period. No question.

A Sahara review, queued to the driving experience part:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Personal preference. I'll be going cloth to save $$. Plus they won't burn the sheet out of my legs in summer in the hot sun.

Gents: appreciate if you don't, to the extent that it's worth something to you, that you give up that back seat armrest/cup holder when you go cloth (my decision), and get the cup holders on the floor right behind the center console.

With leather, these cup holders become, IMHO, 2 useless and depth lacking trays not much more useful than to store change or a piece of gum--not that the aftermarket won't address that eventually. To get the cup holders you bring down the armrest and lose a seat.

I just bought an aftermarket back seat armrest/cup holder for use when I (99.99% of the time) and not carrying 4 passengers while driving, and called it a day.

Brian08

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2500HD
Has anyone ordered a Jeep? Does the dealer have different options when ordering? I am not seeing the power top online to get pricing.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Has anyone ordered a Jeep? Does the dealer have different options when ordering? I am not seeing the power top online to get pricing.
It is not availale yet. June is the current projected production date for the Sky One-Touch Power Top according to JeepCares who discussed it with factory personnel.

Sponsored

Brian08

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2500HD
Ok that is fine then we have time .. Really thinking on waiting for the Power Top.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have.

Sure, the same ones pretty much you see building a Jeep at jeep.com. In fact I read here that some of the Mopar Accessories (discussed in another thread) may also be things purchasable at the time of Wrangler ordering.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-jl-parts-available-soon.4287/page-2#post-85484

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/mopar-aftermarket-jl-parts-and-pricing/

The power top is not available yet for purchase. When it becomes so perhaps you'll see it online, and with, care of this forum's post on the matter https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/1743-2/ an MSRP of $3,995

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Do you guys think that cloth is better to go with over the leather.. Thinking of cold and hot weather and comfort for riding?
That really is a personal preference. I love leather and almost optioned it. Then I was going to go with Katzkin's after purchase. Then I realized while I loved leather in my car years ago I would not like it in the summer with the top down returning to HOT seats.

Some however still prefer the leather. Maybe they don't really drop the top much so it does not matter to them or they cover them. Either way this is up to you and your personal preference.

I thought the Sahara got "premium" HD cloth seats too.
No just regular cloth but with Sahara stitched into the seat is all really. Nothing like the Premium Cloth option on the Rubicon.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That really is a personal preference. I love leather and almost optioned it. Then I was going to go with Katzkin's after purchase. Then I realized while I loved leather in my car years ago I would not like it in the summer with the top down returning to HOT seats.

Some however still prefer the leather. Maybe they don't really drop the top much so it does not matter to them or they cover them. Either way this is up to you and your personal preference.

No just regular cloth but with Sahara stitched into the seat is all really. Nothing like the Premium Cloth option on the Rubicon.
Again...see my post above about how seat material affects armrest/cupholders.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I thought the Sahara got "premium" HD cloth seats too.
Again...see my post above about how seat material affects armrest/cupholders.
I was answering the question about "premium HD cloth seats. Not differences between leather and cloth. There is no premium cloth seat for the Sahara. Yes there are differences between the standard cloth seats and leather seats.

DudeJeeper

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Granite HardRock Rubicon.
I agree, but I sure would like an official list of std items in both trim levels plus a base cost of each trim level. Once you have that, you can compare prices by adding the things you want to each trim level and getting a true cost of each.
One thing to remember is The Rubicon has Lockers, a D44 in front and rear and the 4to 1 crawl ratio in 4LO. Expensive to add later.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Here's where I am stuck: I love the look of the Rubi. Not so much the hood, but the general stance and aggressive nature. That said, I could easily (and probably more prudently) enjoy a Sahara. For me, the set up need only provide enough capability to get me over sandy beaches and light off-roading. No rock climbing in my future, just top-down joyriding with the family.

So setting up a Sahara with the 33" KO2 tires and replacing the running boards (which apparently just get in the way) with rock rails would liekly get me the look I'm after. So for me, this decision really comes down to the benefits (for a non-rock climber) of the AUTO 4HI mode. I'd love to know more about its performance? It's effect on MPG's? And whether one should be concerned about durability or longevity?

Yo Sam

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude
Your post actually answered your question in my humble opinion. I have always had a suspicion that we are all guided toward that go big approach which of course cost more. Been there done that...LOL!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
IMO, go with the leather, and then get a seat cover if you want to change the surface contact feel for weather extremes.

I find the leather provides better support especially in the bolsters, and to me is more comfortable for longer trips. I have summer light covers because the F’in black is a heat magnet (though not as bad as the bacon-sizzlin’ armrest IMO), but if you go with the light tan seats that will improve the sun/heat issue a bit... but... likely still a bit sticky when humid. Of course in winter when heated both are fine, and if it’s cold enough to matter, you likely have heavy enough pants/jacket to not notice that much.

I haven’t tried the new Rubi seats yet, still waiting on a test drive from my two prefered dealers, but the new cloth Saharas were ‘meh’ to me, and considering the positive reviews vs the JK seats I think the leather will still be the choice for me.
Sponsored