Not open for further replies.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello All. I've been more of a silent creeper than poster until now, but I received some unfortunate information that a number of you may find useful. On Jeep chat today, tracking the status of my JLUR order that has now been in JB for 10 days, I was told that because I've chosen the Dual Top group, I am likely to be delayed until at least mid-march. Reason for the delay is Jeep has run out of Premium Black Sunrider Soft Tops which will not be back in stock until mid-march. I've pasted the convo with Mitchell who was very helpful. I've gone to my dealership asking if they can release the order without the soft top so that I may pick it up separately later when it arrives. Either way, really unfortunate news! :(

JL Screen Shot.PNG
I think Bestop got the contract for the JL soft tops. I think they are going to be slammed for a long time. I'm waiting on a Sunrider for Hard Top but they'll probably never have time to make anything but factory tops at this point.
Sponsored

Justtiffmonae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Unlimited
So this morning I call FCA for another update and the gentlemen was actullay trying his best to help me track my baby, all in all came off the phone with the impression my eta is now at 2/25-3/1. I decided to call my dealer just to hear his side of things last time we spoke I told him about my original given eta of 2/19-2/23 he pretty much said my status was KZ and not to pay much mind to FCA becuase they hardly ever know what they are talking about and that I would most likely have another month of wait. So, I call him and he says "hey I think your truck is here I'm just getting in I'll give you a call right back", he calls me literally 5 secs later and says yup it's here! First thing I could say to him was so my first eta was right! Lol he playfully replies do you want me to send it back? I could do nothing else but laugh after all I am excited! But just wait until I see him I'm really gonna give it to him! He also says the earliest I can get it is Sunday morning! Supper excited still doesn't feel real:giggle::fingerscrossed:

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Jeep Chat was full of information today
JB status waiting on hard top installation. Typical time in this step is between 2 days and 2 weeks

Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
I'm not going to discredit Consumer Reports entirely, and I've never had the "fan boy" mentality to defend a brand/car just because I own it, but I do take any CR rankings with a grain of salt. There are numerous flaws with the methodology CR uses to arrive at their rankings (link here). For starters, it's purely survey-based, which introduces some sampling bias. Unless, of course, you believe that the subset of people who subscribe to Consumer Reports accurately represents the population as a whole; this may or may not be true, but I think it is more than likely the latter.

Digging deeper, they also state "A typical model has about 200 to 400 samples for each model year. When we have smaller sample sizes than this on vehicles, we use brand history and the reliability of similar models that may share major components in calculating our predictions.". This is problematic for a couple reasons. First, "brand history"? That's all but completely admitting that they are anchoring on potentially outdated data that may no longer be relevant, especially when there is a change in the production process, a new engine, etc. For example, what did they do when Mazda abandoned Ford technology and developed their own SkyActiv engines? That's not a rhetorical question, it's legitimately unclear how they would determine the reliability at that point except to rely on "brand history". Additionally, the very same components going to different factories could produce vastly different results. For example, the VW Group has a VW factory in Mexico and Audi factory in Germany that share a LOT of the same components. I realize the burden of proof falls on me to prove that the final products have a statistically significant difference in reliability, but I'm going to take the cheap way out of it by suggesting anyone could apply the standard of common sense to arrive at that conclusion.

Moving on, they state that they have a list of specific problem areas they look for, with their own weighting scheme on what's considered serious or not. That's problematic because that assumes everybody weights the importance of those issues similarly. I'm sure general rankings would be relatively consistent from person to person. For example, nobody would say a rattling trim piece is more serious than a blown head gasket. But just how much more serious the head gasket is would be a subjective matter. If a every single example of a car had several issues with rattling trim pieces, would that be more serious than 5% of a different model having catastrophic engine failure? What about 20%? 50%? It's tough to draw the line as to just how bad a serious issue is, and how many not-so-serious issues are considered "equivalent" to one big one. This is especially difficult when talking to new owners who have active warranties, where the actual difference in impact to the end consumer may vary little between issues.

Furthermore, the rankings assume that the distribution of personalities within every make/model is roughly the same. This is again problematic, as anybody can tell you that most makes/models tend to attract very specific demographics. And since people are different, their tolerances for dealing with issues will also vary. A young professional buying his first pride-and-joy luxury car is bound to be a bit more obsessive about little issues than his grandmother buying a midsize sedan to take her to the grocery store and back.

In the end, ANY study that relies on surveys to arrive at a result ought to be viewed with a bit of skepticism. Any applied statistics course could explain this is much better detail than I ever could.

All of this said, I did just sell my Range Rover to make room for my Wrangler. And, well, the Range was every bit as horrendously unreliable as the rankings and "brand history" would indicate. But it'd still just be anecdotal evidence if trying to use that to build a case against Land Rover as a whole. I'm just hoping that Mopar's Maximum Care covers me ten years down the line when the Wrangler is still around but becomes the third- or fourth-most-loved car in the stable.
I appreciate that you took the time to dive in and give a thorough response even if I wouldn’t have arrived at the same conclusion. And to your point, a lot of things go into this type of stuff and some things don’t. As long as the Wrangler I get is reliable mechanically, I’ll love it forever. So I hope you’re right at least as far as that’s concerned lol

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I appreciate that you took the time to dive in and give a thorough response even if I wouldn’t have arrived at the same conclusion. And to your point, a lot of things go into this type of stuff and some things don’t. As long as the Wrangler I get is reliable mechanically, I’ll love it forever. So I hope you’re right at least as far as that’s concerned lol
To clarify: that was not intended to be a defense of Jeep in general nor the Wrangler specifically. Apologies if that's the conclusion you feel I was leading towards. I was merely pointing out the fallacy of relying entirely on survey-derived "statistics" to make certain declarations on a very broad and diverse set of vehicles. Their rankings may in fact be entirely accurate and representative of likelihood of issues, and of course they may not. It's their methods that leave something to be desired. So... I'm not refuting their findings, just saying take them with a grain of salt.

Justtiffmonae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sahara Unlimited
Just got a call from my dealer and my Sahara come in this morning. WooHoo!!!!!!

Ordered 1/24/2018[/QUOTE
Just got a call from my dealer and my Sahara come in this morning. WooHoo!!!!!!

Ordered 1/24/2018

Same with me! Ordered on the same day as well congrats!

Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
To clarify: that was not intended to be a defense of Jeep in general nor the Wrangler specifically. Apologies if that's the conclusion you feel I was leading towards. I was merely pointing out the fallacy of relying entirely on survey-derived "statistics" to make certain declarations on a very broad and diverse set of vehicles. Their rankings may in fact be entirely accurate and representative of likelihood of issues, and of course they may not. It's their methods that leave something to be desired. So... I'm not refuting their findings, just saying take them with a grain of salt.
I got what you were saying. That’s why I said (to your point) as long as mine is good I’m happy :)

LydiaSP613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Just did yet another Jeep chat & here’s what I got from this one....
Darryl: I know they are doing all of the 4 doors before the 2 doors.
Me: If the 4 door builds are currently on hold due to needing parts, they won’t proceed with 2 doors while they wait???
Darryl: Primary schedule is establish based on production capacity. They would move on and do yours (two doors) if they are still waiting for parts.
Me (wanting full clarification): So if they are waiting for 4 door parts, they would move on to start on 2 door production?
Darryl: Yes
- - -
Another interesting tidbit regarding build code status....
Darryl: The dealership system updates faster than ours.
Backwards much??!
- - -
Like most people on here, I like to do random Jeep chats to see who I get & how much more info they’re willing to let slide. Muahahahaha!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.