First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Don't forget you need a license.
Correct. To legally use these Baofeng UV-5R radios you need an FCC Ameture Technician Class license to transmit on 2m and 70cm bands. That is unless it's a life or death emergency, then I guess you get a pass.

Also, these can usually transmit outside of the 2m and 70cm bands (such as FRS or GMRS). This is illegal to use these radios outside of the approved frequencies even if you have a Ham license or the appropriate band license (like GMRS).

With that said, ya, I've got a Baofeng UV-5R and a Yaesu VX-5R (that one will transmit on all kinds of frequencies outside of the 3 bands it was sold for). And ya, I have a Technician class license. Passed all my written tests up to Expert Class 20 years ago. But could never master Morse Code, so, I'm a lowly non-code Tech. I need to go take my writtens again now that codes not required.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't need one for FRS or GMRS.
Not for FRS. For GMRS you do. https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs
Ya, the band plans overlap, but GMRS allows for more Xmit power.
If you are using a UV-5R outside of 2m or 70cm bands, its techilnically illegal because the equipment is not certified for these bands. Hell, there's debate on the UV-5R transmitting being legal on any frequencies.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not for FRS. For GMRS you do. https://www.fcc.gov/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs
Ya, the band plans overlap, but GMRS allows for more Xmit power.
If you are using a UV-5R outside of 2m or 70cm bands, its techilnically illegal because the equipment is not certified for these bands. Hell, there's debate on the UV-5R transmitting being legal on any frequencies.
Nobody but HAMs give a shit if UV-5Rs are legal. Literally nobody else, .gov included. And you can use GMRS under 2 watt without a license.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
A little in the weeds, but I had to get some kind of license to run my 25w marine VHF radio. I also got a MMSI code or something. Is that the same as a GMRS license?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Eh, I like being legal and I learned a lot getting my HAM license....KN4WRO reporting!
And that's fair. I prefer being responsible and not needing government permission.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
And that's fair. I prefer being responsible and not needing government permission.
How is it responsible to encourage illegal use?

It drives me crazy that there’s a simple high power option with no exam required, GMRS, but people feel the need to be lazy and use ham illegally.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I am kinda surprised by some of the comments here. I expected everyone to support CB use. I think the OP needs to decide if he is going to wheel often and if so he will need one, or at least get whatever the local Jeep club uses (CB, HAM, etc).

This is my first Jeep and my first year wheeling but the one mod I would NEVER wheel without is a CB. My antenna was the first thing I installed and getting my CB working was my only real requirement before I went on my first run a few months ago. Being in communication with the other Jeeps is very important to me, not really for safety but just to feel like I'm part of a group and not just out there by myself.

Also, the idea that a CB is only line-of-sight is nonsense. I have tested my CB to over 3 miles in the city. When I am out in the mountains I can easily communicate with others that I cannot see because they are too far ahead or behind me.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
How is it responsible to encourage illegal use?

It drives me crazy that there’s a simple high power option with no exam required, GMRS, but people feel the need to be lazy and use ham illegally.
I didn’t encourage anyone to do anything illegal. We all make decisions every day which laws we follow and which ones we don’t.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
My understand is that if one does get caught using the Ham frequencies without a license, the fine can be steep. A few google searches show fines in the low thousands of dollars and much higher than that. Likely? Who knows.

Seems to me that if your local club wants to use Ham frequencies for general communication on the trail, it makes sense to get a license for it....... I assume that we all have a license to drive (our Jeeps or other cars/commercial vehicles). I don’t view a license to use a specific set of radio frequencies any differently than a license to use the roads.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Or hunt on public lands. It’s a shared resource and there are (international) rules to follow.
Sponsored