Sponsored

Want to get a CB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
What does everyone think of the handheld wireless cb’s? Good idea? How’s the range on them? I want to get a CB, I just don’t know what to get. Anyone have good recommendations? Or are the cordless ones garbage?
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
CB's are getting less and less frequent... Most of the people I offroad with use GMRS/FRS base or walkies

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
I was in same boat considering CB. After doing to some research, seeing what others were using more frequently and even a watching some of the guys like TrailRecon - decide not to go CB route. Went out and got my Ham License and will be putting in a 144MHz/420MHz dual band radio instead. Test is super easy - studied the night before the test and aced it. I'm not smart enough to be acing test regularly.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
CBs are still widely used in the off-road community. They are relatively inexpensive and available everywhere, including some convenience stores and truck stops. Jeep excursions tend to be in tighter formations and Jeep convoys tend to travel slowly, so CBs work well because there's little distance between Jeeps. When I had my Raptor and we'd get together for off-road racing, we needed MURS or GMRS because there would be greater distance between trucks and CBs just couldn't keep up.

I have both a Uniden CMX760 (CB) and a Midland MXT275 (GMRS/FRS) radio in my JLUR. I have a Midland 75-822 in my CJ7. Both CBs have 4' Firestiks. I also have several MURS 5-channel 2-way radios and some handheld GMRS/FRS radios that we take camping.

I'd go with CB for now since it's common and inexpensive. If you find that more of your Jeep buddies have GMRS, apply for the license and get a GMRS mobile or handheld.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I started a thread here sometime back and had a lot of good advice. The general consensus was to go GMRS

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
A hand held CB or even some cheapo walkie talkies get the job done for talking vehicle to vehicle. Range is very limited, but its better than shouting.

sundevil827

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ask around your local community as to what they are using.

It definitely seems to vary region by region as what's more popular. GMRS is definitely the growing segment because of range and clarity, however what matters quite a bit more, is what the people you are running with are using.