• Poll closed .

jameslavis

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Sport S
Well, I stand corrected but Im still gonna use it.
I had a card come with mine outlining gas. In Canada the price diff on premium vs 87 wouldn’t balance. I’m about mpg at the lowest cost.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Agree, I have been using the premium for the past few months and have noticed a big difference in mileage per tank.
Hmmm I'll test this out too, might explain why I got great mpg in New York, I thought it was mostly the highway, I use Costco, will test their top tier then Shell top tier.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it is. I "grew up" in the petroleum business and this program is sold to big-petroleum companies as a margin-enhancer and a way to combat "gar price wars" by having a differentiator.

This is a MARKETING program to improve MARGINS and nothing to do with a better product to the consumers.
You are mistaken. It was developed oringinally by GM, BMW, Honda as a higher standard of detergent gasoline to keep engines from losing efficiency from deposits. Other manufacturers, including Mercedes Benz, Ford, and Audi have endorsed it, too. It was NOT thought up by anyone in the gasoline industry. How do I know this? My Dad was a GM engineer for 45 years and knew the people involved in it from the beginning, many years ago. It is a 100% legitimate standard that is checked and maintained among those certified as Top Tier.

I've even gone so far as to post an independent study from AAA whose findings backed it up. I'll ask you to back up your statement with evidence from a reputable source. If you can't do that, then find something that at least attempts to discredit or refute AAA's findings. I doubt it exists.

Do some research on it. We have a fuel refinery nearby and they would also tell you that they have additive packages that are available for fuel sellers who are Top Tier certified, as well as proprietary packages for Shell, Mobil, and others.

One more thing. If their claims were not true, they'd face the same kind of sanctions that Slick 50 and others have faced for false performance claims.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What I am saying is a scam is "TopTier" branded gas as it means nothing except some special detergents they claim improves engine cleanliness as a marketing/margin grab.
The claims have been independently verified. The detergents not only increase cleanliness, they also cause no harm to emissions systems, which is exactly why GM, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Honda, and others helped establish this and endorse it. One of their worries was that additives sold at auto parts stores were either ineffective or caused deterioration in the catalytic converters.

Top Tier fuel does exactly what it claims to do. If not, you can file a claim with the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the Federal Trade Commission. I'd love to see the evidence that would be used in that complaint. Here is the link you can use. https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

And this is what happens when a product makes false claims: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...sidiaries-settle-ftc-charges-against-slick-50

I'll post this again for quick reference. If it has been reviewed and proven to be false, please share a link. I seriously doubt any of those automakers would attach their reputation to a scam.

https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You are mistaken. It was developed oringinally by GM, BMW, Honda as a higher standard of detergent gasoline to keep engines from losing efficiency from deposits. Other manufacturers, including Mercedes Benz, Ford, and Audi have endorsed it, too. It was NOT thought up by anyone in the gasoline industry. How do I know this? My Dad was a GM engineer for 45 years and knew the people involved in it from the beginning, many years ago. It is a 100% legitimate standard that is checked and maintained among those certified as Top Tier.

I've even gone so far as to post an independent study from AAA whose findings backed it up. I'll ask you to back up your statement with evidence from a reputable source. If you can't do that, then find something that at least attempts to discredit or refute AAA's findings. I doubt it exists.

Do some research on it. We have a fuel refinery nearby and they would also tell you that they have additive packages that are available for fuel sellers who are Top Tier certified, as well as proprietary packages for Shell, Mobil, and others.

One more thing. If their claims were not true, they'd face the same kind of sanctions that Slick 50 and others have faced for false performance claims.
Blah blah blah blah blah. Brainwashed by the fancy logo. A detergent is part of all the name brand gasoline -- again this is nothing unique and just a marketing game to get the logo to drive sheeple to pay more.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Blah blah blah blah blah. Brainwashed by the fancy logo. A detergent is part of all the name brand gasoline -- again this is nothing unique and just a marketing game to get the logo to drive sheeple to pay more.
Do you have anything to back up the statements you made or is this a opinion.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I do too but it’s $4.69 a gallon! . Opposed to their 93 octane 10% ethanol blend which is $3.40. Can’t afford the 100% pure gas.
I think I paid $3.10/gallon

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody, including Top Tier makes the claim that cheap gas has no detergent. The EPA requires a mininum level. Top Tier goes above and beyond the minimum.

It is really simple. More detergent equals more cleaning ability. That's all they claim. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, and others add to the claims with their own proprietary formulations. What they have in common is that they meet the Top Tier standard. Some go further beyond it than others.

I'll make it real simple: The AAA study tested multiple brands of Top Tier and multiple brands of non-Top Tier. The Top Tier gas produced fewer deposits than non-Top Tier gas. Among the Top Tier gas, some out performed others. That supports any and all claims of Top Tier and doesn't contradict what Shell and others claim about their own formulations of additives.

I'll check back in here and there to see if you post anything of substance to support your opinion.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those who don't have enough time to dig into the AAA study, here is a summary. Some of these findings show there was actually a dramatic difference between Top Tier and non-Top Tier gas...
  • Base gasoline is the same in large geographic areas, but the additive (detergent) packages differ by brand.
  • Top Tier gas brands are required to have all of the fuels, even the cheaper lower octane, to meet the standard.
  • Octane rating has nothing to do with detergent levels. Even "Premium" fuel at non-Top Tier brands may contain the EPA minimum detergent level.
  • The cars running Top Tier had 19x fewer intake valve deposits.
  • Over an extended period of time, those deposits cause a 2 to 4% reduction in fuel economy.
  • Over extended time the deposits cause higher emissions.
  • AAA recommended the EPA adopt the Top Tier standards across the board.
  • Top Tier fuel, on average, onliy costs 3 cents more per gallon. \
  • If you have not been running Top Tier, a change can reduce and even remove the deposits accumulated in your engine, over time.
19x fewer deposits is pretty stunning, really.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
My pre 1995 cars ran regular plain ole gas non ethanol and detergent free Gas. We just ran the dog crap out of them every now an then when performance dropped. Believe it was called an Italian Tune up ;).

If you read why the EPA forced a standard level of detergents was to get better emissions under the Clean Air Act. The theory was carbon build up caused more pollutants and emissions, EFI clogs ect. There is some science behind it just not sure how Biased the science is since the Auto Industry was involved in said studies. May be all factual idk dont really care tbh.

Fuel injectors would clog often back in the day. So was born a billion dollar industry of detergent additives. Fuel injection cleaners become a huge industry back then. Wonder how cars from the 20's-to mid 1995 survived without all these special money maker detergents....I'm sure these additives help i honestly don't know 100% there is alot of automotive experts that say they do. They also rich as hell from the profits off these wonder chemicals..

This top tier gas thing was born in 2004. I'm sure it does help long term idk, I am more concerned with what Ethanol does to my engine more than carbon build up. Ethanol is crap crap crap IMO. Leave that junk in a gas can without a stabilizer for a short time and see the gunk it forms. Even with those added detergents it forms gunk. Wonder what it does to your Engine and your fuel tank long term? Wonder why small engines like motorcycles lawn mowers weedeaters ect recommend you adding additional stuff to prevent damage from it. Ethanol is extremely Hygroscopic and has a short shelf life vs Pure gas. That worries me more than some secret magic detergents in the fuel. Oh and the cost of pure gas vs Ethanol gas is stupid crazy. Someones getting Rich off it all just not me :)

Last thing all these studies and Facts are on the Internet so it must be true right?:angel:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Let's compare engine life from pre 1995 to now. How long did you really expect your engine to last past 100k miles then? And how many miles do you expect engines to last past 100k now?

So yeah, older technology with an older blend of fuels worked fine. Just not as well and not as long as they do with today's technology and today's fuels.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I do too but it’s $4.69 a gallon! . Opposed to their 93 octane 10% ethanol blend which is $3.40. Can’t afford the 100% pure gas.
$4.69 a gallon! Now that's a scam ! I would be riding my Harley until I was 80 !
Sponsored