Sponsored

Soft or hard top?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I think you’re asking me about snow in CT? I’d say it’s same as OP’s situation in Pennsylvania.

In my case, I park in my garage. I also work from home if the forecast is brutal. If OP can’t fit the Jeep under his car port, he might have more worries than I.
That situation is ideal. I'd go softtop only if those were my living and working situations. I'm gonna be without a garage for probably about a year, myself
Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
For anyone still on the fence, this video makes a pretty compelling case for the soft top. He has a little twist trick to get the windows and back window on track.

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in MI and we get hard winters so the hard top was the logical option for me. I have a soft top on my TJ and when it's really cold out it sucks to drive. It also sucks when my 33s kick up all kinds of crap on the back and I can't see out the plastic back window. The hard top on the JL is much nicer in both of those regards. Luckily my JL was ordered with the dual top package so I've got both. I'll be doing hard top in the winter and soft top in the summer. If I was in a warm state I probably wouldn't pay extra for a hard top.

Jethris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2106 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon

The hard top goes off in April or May, comes back on in Sept or October.

I had a soft top in my '94 YJ. The plastic sucked, and after a few years you couldn't see out if it, and couldn't clean it. It was louder (Okay, probably some upgrades in 14 years), colder, and generally not as nice as the hard top. I park in a garage, so storage isn't much of an issue (hoist it and store it above the jeep).

We have afternoon storms, so I will purchase a cover for it. Most storms pass by the time I leave work.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
For anyone still on the fence, this video makes a pretty compelling case for the soft top. He has a little twist trick to get the windows and back window on track.
Good video and he has a couple of tips that will help. This will be so much faster than the JK soft top once you learn a few of these tips of tips like best way to hold the window when putting it back on.

Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The hard top goes off in April or May, comes back on in Sept or October.
Location Toronto:
Same here. Not just for the snow, but also the cold temps. I don't care how 'Premium' that soft top is, cold weather will break it down.

Ps. for reference, Toronto actually gets 1/3 the snowfall of Buffalo.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hardtop and gotta have the headliner...

how people order a hardtop without this is beyond me.
I agree about the advantages of Headliner ownership/use. I believe though that it is worth it to wait until the aftermarket produces better product at the same price as FCA, or at FCA's quality (which is not to say that FCA is shabby) something demonstrably cheaper, and install it myself.

I'm sorry, with discounts, around $450 for......foam, albeit even shaped for the interior of the roof? Paying that much for cushion, irrespective of one's presumed ability to afford it, just rubs me the wrong way.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
I agree about the advantages of Headliner ownership/use. I believe though that it is worth it to wait until the aftermarket produces better product at the same price as FCA, or at FCA's quality (which is not to say that FCA is shabby) something demonstrably cheaper, and install it myself.

I'm sorry, with discounts, around $450 for......foam, albeit even shaped for the interior of the roof? Paying that much for cushion, irrespective of one's presumed ability to afford it, just rubs me the wrong way.
The JK aftermarket has better HT headliners for $200 (factory $400!), so I hope they will have them for the JL by May when mine arrives.

I wanted Dual tops, but my dealer said they can't be ordered on the 2 door now. He will order aP-Soft Top and provide it at cost though.

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Anyone know if the JKU soft top would fit the JLU? My neighbor offered to sell his to me at a really good price, but I want to make sure it's compatible. I have the hard top now and was always told to get that from the dealer and order the soft top. Less expensive and easier that way!

Sponsored

Wdh777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping to get a JLL
How about the power top. Best of both worlds. And it comes with a glass back window with wiper.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Just a question, why do people think you need a hard top in the winter? I've driven soft top Jeep all my life in Maine winters and never had an issue except once it was so cold the back plastic shattered when I opened my tailgate but the dealer replaced it for me no questions.

I like the ease of use that comes with a soft top. You want the top off? Just roll it back. Starts raining? Just roll it back up .Very easy.

Hard tops are more work and you have to worry about storing stuff. Just my opinion.

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
Mine came with both tops.. it was someone else's order that I guess fell thru..
Hi, Have you had the opportunity to remove the hard top and try out the soft top? I am so eager to find out about if it is worth it to purchase... if it is not a pain to replace the tops at any given time,

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Anyone know if the JKU soft top would fit the JLU? My neighbor offered to sell his to me at a really good price, but I want to make sure it's compatible. I have the hard top now and was always told to get that from the dealer and order the soft top. Less expensive and easier that way!
No, I would seriously doubt it.

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I live in northwestern NJ - I’m definitely getting a JL 2 door as my next 4 wheel vehicle ( I ride a motorcycle in summer).

Here in NW NJ the winters can be mild like this year or we can get storms producing several feet.

I have no garage and only two tent style car ports lined up in my gravel based driveway for my wife’s 2012 Liberty and my car.

Naturally when I’m at work if it snows it’s piling up on my car.

I’m wondering if I should opt for the hard top or if the soft top/ premium soft top are sufficient enough to withstand snow
I went with the duel top
Sponsored