What did you do TO your Jeep JL today?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That is correct, ask any sailor, this synthetic line gained its popularity 1st in the sailing industry, any marine supply store that sells this in bulk will insist you stitch the line after splicing (all Marine stors that sell Amsteel ot other brands should sell all the tools and stitching materials. While the clamping feature of a splice is significant it is not 100% full proof for holding the splice together. In sailing lines can kill, just like in winching the stitching prevent the splice from slipping. It is called "Lock Stitching". It is important to understand that the constriction is only when pressure is on the line when there is no tension the constriction can loosen allowing your splice to slip/loosen. it is a simple safety step that only takes a couple minutes...

This video demonstrates on a larger scale as you can see it is a simple added safety precaution

This is cool but one thing I noticed different from what factor55 did was factor55 went completely through two times and then fed down the center. Where as in this video it looks like the rope just loops and then is fed down the middle. Maybe I just can’t see it correctly. Anyways I was thinking maybe that is why factor55 doesn’t require stitching?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This is cool but one thing I noticed different from what factor55 did was factor55 went completely through two times and then fed down the center. Where as in this video it looks like the rope just loops and then is fed down the middle. Maybe I just can’t see it correctly. Anyways I was thinking maybe that is why factor55 doesn’t require stitching?
If you have handled synthetic line you will see that it is very slick, while that is also added protection you still have the issue that unless under tension the splice can move. Amsteel which was the originator of the synthetic high strength line is who specified the stitching. I just checked my stock line on my winch is not weaved but has the lock stitch but also has a fabric sleeve over the 1st 1-foot.

It is important to note that to make a lock Drummel(sp) (weave the line) it actually requires both ends of the line not attached to anything. The original video I provided showing the stitching is from the rope manufacture.

What is interesting is the Factor 55 video they make/suggest an exposed loop on the winch shackle, a unprotected loop on a potential cast steel or even aluminum block would wear on the line as the line would pivot on the steel potentially wearing through strands there should be a stationary metal eye that is inside or encapsulate the loop protecting the cable so the line is not in contact with the rough shackle. factor 55 also said the splice is as strong as the line, that is incorrect a splice is 80% the strength of the line, I assume because the fibers are bent...

Watch at 15:20

Keep in mind I am only relaying what the rope/lime manufacture says to do and what I have been instructed to do by the folks that splice lines for a living in the boating industry. When I converted all my lines (except mooring) to Amsteel synthetic a couple years ago. I also learned another lesson about this Synthetic line. Never use it as a mooring line, mooring line requires stretching of a line the Amsteel has NO stretch, so I ripped one of the dock cleats out from the 28000lb boat with wave/wake movement and with no spring in the line ripped the cleat right out. This stuff is amazing.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Had a Warn Zeon 10-s with Warn winch carrier installed and threw on a new front Maximus-3 bar. Ended up switching the fairlead with a gun metal epic one and switched to a different epic gun metal hook, like how it came out!

DA967332-FE7A-4ED3-9F00-CAFC8B7F341D.JPG

IMG_1579.jpg

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Something new

2019-06-01 16.29.15.jpg

2019-06-01 16.29.34.jpg

2019-06-01 16.29.42.jpg

2019-06-01 16.29.51.jpg

2019-06-01 16.29.57.jpg

2019-06-01 09.53.50.jpg

2019-06-01 09.54.00.jpg

2019-06-01 09.54.05.jpg

2019-06-01 09.54.10.jpg

2019-06-01 10.12.23.jpg

2019-06-01 10.12.29.jpg

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Installed EAG tube doors. Great product!

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg
Beautiful! FYI I also ordered the EAG Matrix Doors (thanks for your thread, @TaxPhan !!!). I was supposed to get them today for install over the weekend, but instead it's not coming till Monday. UGH. Can't wait. Your pic justifies my decision to buy that product based on looks AND cost.

Did you have any install issues? I've been reading some issues with installation... whether it be bolts, some finishes, and driver side mirror. Did you have any issues?

NM_hOoLiGaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Billet Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful! FYI I also ordered the EAG Matrix Doors (thanks for your thread, @TaxPhan !!!). I was supposed to get them today for install over the weekend, but instead it's not coming till Monday. UGH. Can't wait. Your pic justifies my decision to buy that product based on looks AND cost.

Did you have any install issues? I've been reading some issues with installation... whether it be bolts, some finishes, and driver side mirror. Did you have any issues?
No issues at all with my install. The door latches only required minor adjustment to ensure a tight fit when closed and the included rubber shim for the driver side mirror put it in the correct position.

The included instructions don't help much, but it's pretty straightforward.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Installed EAG tube doors. Great product!

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg
I bought the EAG doors several months ago I was one of the 1st to buy them and then I was ridiculed for buying cheap Chinese doors, well it has been one of the best valued mods I have purchased and the quality is excellent so far, while the tubing may not be as big of diameter as those that cost 3 times as much I think the smaller diameter fits the door well better as well I love the tactical look of the mesh (especially on a Black Wrangler). Additionally there has not been a single bad review on them. While I would prefer to buy US made and I would consider paying more there is not a similar US made product unless you want to pay 3-4 times more.

Congrats for making a solid choice for your tube doors...