Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I took delivery of my 2019 JLS (V6 auto, well-optioned including tow/HD charging and LSD) a few days ago; still in initial break-in phase, stock wheels and tires. I thought I’d document a few initial quality items that have been topics of much discussion in these forums. ;)

Spoiler Alert: Based upon my experience with this Wrangler so far, some of the build quality issues reported in these forums may be getting addressed!

1. Steering - very little wheel play, tracks very straight at Interstate speeds (much better than I expected, especially for a 2 door). “Hunts” a little at 40-50 mph or so on some asphalt roads, but well within my “good steering” expectations. Sensitive to winds (also as expected). 4/19 build date; received AD steering gear, AE steering damper (4/6 date code on damper).

Bottom line: steering acceptable; better than expected at speed.

2. Frame welds/corrosion - all welds that I examined look good. Very small amounts of slag on a few welds (well within FCA stated parameters). One small (about the size of a nickel) scratched area exposing bare metal on frame rail; easy fix.

Bottom line: much better frame build quality than some on these forums have reported; looks like FCA may be getting it together on these frames.

3. Paint - paint (and panel fit) excellent. No HT leakage in rain this weekend.

Bottom line: I’m happy with fit & finish.

4. Electronics - no issues identified so far (although I am not convinced that the ambient lighting switch adjacent to the headlight switch does much of anything as far as changing the door handle LED brightness).

Bottom line: I’m very pleased with the functionality of the on-board electronics.

So…guess I got a “good one”…but hopefully this just means that overall initial quality has improved/is improving.:like:
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got 6k on our 19 JLSport, same experience as yours, had some vicious cross winds and that's about the only white-knuckle times we've had to deal with. Welds, Steering, fit & finish have exceeded my expectations as has performance (especially the 8AT), and overall comfort from a short wheelbase is much better than expected.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I'm now at 5k miles on my 19 JLUR. Been absolutely terrified to post anything about quality; my Jeep's been perfect, and I don't wanna jinx myself. Drives tack straight, steering is impeccable, ride's been smooth and comfortable. A total joy. I could go on for pages, but I will say no more out of superstition...

But to the OP's point, I think now that the production line is established and there's no parallel production with the JK, the issues are becoming much rarer.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much same experience as you, ‘19 JLR built in March. Crosswinds on the highway have been crazy but besides that, smooth sailing. I love this thing so far. I get compliments every day from strangers and neighbors, whether it’s on the color (ocean blue) or just the Jeep in general. All the neighborhood dogs love it too

39D504CE-9690-4D68-BB0A-53B452A4DA86.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
^^^Looks like a place where all the cool kids hang :)

Sponsored

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Got 6k on our 19 JLSport, same experience as yours, had some vicious cross winds and that's about the only white-knuckle times we've had to deal with. Welds, Steering, fit & finish have exceeded my expectations as has performance (especially the 8AT), and overall comfort from a short wheelbase is much better than expected.
You were one of the lucky ones. Mine had wiring problems with the start stop system. I hope there are no more electrical problems with it.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Mine was first production run, and I was told I was the first to take private delivery in my state. I have 20,000 on it right now with no issues other than the rear seat latch and defroster that many have.

This is my third new Chrysler product, and the only one to not have any real issues. My challenger had some minor annoying issues, and my JK was a total mess (another first production run). I’m actually fairly surprised there hasn’t been any other issues. Not even any leaks in the top.

Built November of 2017, delivered Jan 2018.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My December build date is fine. All I've had issues with is a loose wire on the ESS and when we got down to -25 both rear shocks started leaking. The dealer fixed both issues no questions asked. Also, mine just went thru an EF1 tornado and I can say the soft top didn't leak:like: Unfortunately, my garage was packed out for my husband's garage sale, so both Jeeps had to weather the storm.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
2018 Sport S 2 Door Hardtop 3.6L Automatic. Build date 31 July 2018 delivered 25 November 2018. 8800 miles, 0 problems. Steering tight and tracks true with hands off the wheel. Worst MPG 18.9 all city driving, best MPG 28.9 all highway @ 65 mph. This is my first jeep and the most trouble free vehicle I have owned (and I have been driving since 1969).

PeeCeeJunior

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
4k miles on my Jeep so far. The center armrest latch broke on D day + 3. I got a check engine light at 3k miles (appears to be a firmware issue to do with high idle speeds). Finally my interior ambient lighting appears to be all wonky. It'll go full blast to dim to full blast again without any real reason.

Dealer appointment is this Friday (it took months for them to get a new center console replacement).

Not bad. I'm not going to say it's good either.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
18 Sahara, Sept 18 build, 3.6 8spd so far so good, no issues.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018, 2 door , Build date October, no problems at all, 2.0 T. Bought in March, love it, plain Sport. I'd be curious to see troubles by Build Date, if possible.
October 2018 build here too... no significant issues (GPS needed to be recalibrated and passenger seat noise issue).
Sponsored