OP
OP
ANBE

ANBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for all the replies. I did think the bounciness was weird because I was driving on pretty flat roads but any slight imperfection on the road will transfer into the cabin and it felt like I was in a small boat the whole ride. It was to the point I got slightly car sick after 10 mins. I never knew tire pressure can have such an impact because I never experienced this in other cars before since I always overinflate my tires for less rolling resistance. Is this just specifically to how it reacts to how the Jeep suspension works?

However, if you’re used to a Mercedes ML ride quality... switching to a straight axle wrangler will be significantly different. I don’t notice a bouncy ride on my Sahara, but it can’t compare to my BMW 5 series.
Thanks @Djmatt85 - Yah I'm not expecting the Jeep to ride remotely close to a Mercedes. In fact, after driving the Mercedes for several years, I find the drive too "muted" and way too comfortable. LOL. I've always wanted a Rubicon for the fun factor and I know I won't be getting the luxury that I'm used to.

Remember that lowering tire pressure will increase ride comfort, it will impact gas mileage.

I find that my Jeep tracks better and gets about 2 MPG more when set at 40 vs 34.

I would also guess that hard braking and turning are improved with the higher tire pressure.

Side note: I run 35”
Thanks @ERIXJLUR - Interesting, do you find 35 PSI to be the sweet spot? As in it will smooth out the ride but still getting the suggested sticker MPG?
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
no two human feels the same, and all depends on what your experience and what you used to. I would say you can just rent a JL from rental company or TURO.com spend $50 a day or two to just feel it out yourself.

SCMR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2019 Unlimited Rubicon
FWIW, I test drive a Sahara and a Rubicon on the same route, and the Rubicon was hands down the better ride on the road. I, too, felt the Sahara was way to floaty and wandery. The Rubicon felt planted and responsive in comparison. Can’t vouch for the tire pressures for each vehicle, but the difference was clear.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Interesting, do you find 35 PSI to be the sweet spot? As in it will smooth out the ride but still getting the suggested sticker MPG?
I actually feel like the recommended 37 PSI is spot on. I have no wandering or bouncing. I do have a bit of body roll, but that is totally to be expected with a short wheelbase, slightly factory lifted vehicle.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'll shed my experiences with you, though I'm not coming from a Mercedes ML, though my previous car was a 2015 BMW 435, and I also own a 2005 Nissan Xterra which has upgraded suspension including RadFlo Shocks w/Eibach 650lb coil overs, and Total Chaos upper control arms (Heim joint) among a few other goodies.

I won't compare the car, but the Xterra to my 2018 JLU Rubicon (all stock). The Nissan now has a firm ride (due to the shocks/springs, which are also meant to be loaded down a bit. As such, it's firm on the highway. Not uncomfortable, but firm. Offroad, also firm. However nowhere near as comfortable at taking bumps as the Rubicon is. Keep in mind that Jeeps have real live axles with springs and shocks, whereas your ML, and my Xterra are independently suspended. I like that the jeep is "squishy". I find it to be comfortable in comparison to the Xterra, both on and off. It's a trait of the vehicles, so worth keeping in mind. However that can be controlled with shocks and springs to your desire through aftermarket suspension products.

Sponsored

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
My tires were overinflated from the dealer too. I have been playing around with tire pressure and I find the recommended pressure of 37psi too much. For me, I find 34-35 just right to take away the bounce from the ride.
Same here. Mine does best with 34-35 psi