Rented a JK on vacation

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
A guy at work has a Recon. It's a beast. He was excited to check out my JLU, but there was no jealousy at all. The things he cared about he got in his Recon and it's a pretty unique edition. I personally prefer the JLU but I'm not a Recon buyer.
Choice is good. I like the the heavier duty front axle over the standard JK Rubicon D44.I like that it doesnā€™t have FAD. I just wish she had got a two door. I wish I had kept my 2018 JKR.

E7900C46-68F9-47D4-AF96-843D5B1C7CB3.jpeg
Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Spent the day doing errands in the wifeā€™s 2018 JKUR Recon. I much prefer it to my JL Rubicon. FYI got a great deal on it as the JLā€™s were out. Wife drive both, chose the JKUR.
And I had a ā€˜17 JKUHR and couldnā€™t dump it fast enough for a JLUR. Go figure. Itā€™s a better vehicle in a hundred ways big and small. To each his own.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Choice is good. I like the the heavier duty front axle over the standard JK Rubicon D44.I like that it doesnā€™t have FAD. I just wish she had got a two door. I wish I had kept my 2018 JKR.

E7900C46-68F9-47D4-AF96-843D5B1C7CB3.jpeg
Did you get it from the factory with half doors?

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
The TJ was pretty reliable, in addition, it was pretty easy to work on. Based on the required Mechanical Skills, you'd need more in a JK than a TJ since you'd have to be able to take apart half of your Jeep to fix anything :CWL:

In all honestly, I really think the TJ was the last "purpose built" Jeep in that it was sparse for a reason. I like all the knick knacks in my JL and the ones I had in my JK...but that might be because my Trans Am has crap for amenities
Have to say I've always liked the TJ, granted up here finding one that isn't rusted out is getting to be a real challenge. Any really nice one's are going for very high prices, higher than a used JK granted really nice CJ's are going for even more. Might be different down your way but up here finding an older Jeep that isn't a pile of rust is getting very challenging.

Granted I keep scanning used TJ Unlimited's just in case.

Hey I kind of like the 'new' Trans Ams from Trans Am Worldwide... https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/trans-am-super-duty-455-drag-car/

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Itā€™s a better vehicle in a hundred ways big and small. To each his own.
We will have to agree to disagree. I do like the 8 speed auto better than the 5 speed.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I can't wait for that option to come out for the JL. That's the big thing I miss about my TJ.
After 7 years of half doors on my YJ I was done with them. That was a time when the roll-up windows were the premium option! Better than the zippers.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
After 7 years of half doors on my YJ I was done with them. That was a time when the roll-up windows were the premium option! Better than the zippers.
Shit, I only ever put the top halves on when it was snowing or raining. I donā€™t even know if I would carry the tops with me on the JL.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Have to say I've always liked the TJ, granted up here finding one that isn't rusted out is getting to be a real challenge. Any really nice one's are going for very high prices, higher than a used JK granted really nice CJ's are going for even more. Might be different down your way but up here finding an older Jeep that isn't a pile of rust is getting very challenging.

Granted I keep scanning used TJ Unlimited's just in case.

Hey I kind of like the 'new' Trans Ams from Trans Am Worldwide... https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/trans-am-super-duty-455-drag-car/
The TJ Unlimited is the LJ down here. Not sure if it's the same up there.

I sold mine about a year ago. 33" tires, 3.5" lift, quicker disconnects, year old Rampage soft top, marine radio with water proof cover, new sub, rhinolined floors, dirtydog netting on the rear roll bar, factory cognac seats, Rugged Ridge flares, Rampage bimini, aftermarket transmission cooler, Nate's front bumper with winch support, and Nate's rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. Got $10,000 USD for it.

Dude didn't even try to talk me down. He said right off he wasn't going to. Which made up for all of the "I'll give you $2000 for your Jeep, cash." Selling stuff on the internet really sucks.

Sponsored

JLhokie14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
In 2006, I was 13.
I was 14! Where are you in VA - we will have to meet up sometime, I think I am heading wheeling in the next coming weeks. PM me if interested!

gmangsxr750

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU (Freedom Edition), 2008 Mazda Tribute
Occupation
Web Application Developer
I don't think you'll find much disagreement on the JL wrangler forums. The JK guys are real sticks in the mud though. The transmission upgrade is HUGE.
Hey now... my first (and still current) Wrangler is a 2018 JKU. I purposely waited on the purchase for over a year waiting for the JL to come out. When it finally did and I test drove both, I would totally agree the JL is more refined, drives smoother, etc.

But I went with the JKU over the JLU because... the JK seemed more like a real "jeep" to me. The JL was a bit too refined. That coupled with the aftermarket availability and the slashed prices... the JK was a no brainer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Hey now... my first (and still current) Wrangler is a 2018 JKU. I purposely waited on the purchase for over a year waiting for the JL to come out. When it finally did and I test drove both, I would totally agree the JL is more refined, drives smoother, etc.

But I went with the JKU over the JLU because... the JK seemed more like a real "jeep" to me. The JL was a bit too refined. That coupled with the aftermarket availability and the slashed prices... the JK was a no brainer.
Of course I don't mean all the people who own JK's. Specifically, the JK enthusiasts on those other forums are just awful.

snowtx1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Driving a JK rental on vacation showed me that I could live with a Jeep every day. I went and bought a JL when I got home.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A Jeep rental in Hawaii last year started me on my journey to a 4-door. I had a TJ for 18 years upto that point. Rented a JKU Sahara. Family fit comfortablely with the car seat, stroller AND all our luggage. Wow. That alone pretty much sold me. Plus it was a quiet smooth ride, and the amazing LED headlights & foglights that actually showed the road ahead.

The last time I drove a JK was fall of 2006 when they first came out. I was tempted by a base model X with rear locker, e-disco and 4.10ā€™s for well under $25k then. But was underwhelmed by the 3.8, didnā€™t like the way it looked, felt too big, etc.

After Hawaii I went for the JLU because I immediately loved the looks, as it appears as a true TJ successor from the front. Then I drove one, what a disappointment. I went into the dealer looking to order a JLU and left searching for a leftover JKU.

I ended up with a new JKU Rubicon for less than a JLU Sport. Never thought Iā€™d own a JK, but it worked out ok.
Sponsored

Last edited: