Bike Rack Options??

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
I do a lot of cycling, both MTB and Road. I find myself taking my bikes all over the place. I will have a hitch and know there are a few options that exist from Yakima and Thule. I know many also use the spare mounted options.

Do we not foresee a redesign coming for these products as the rear cam will be blocked?

Insights appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
If the rear camera view is simply blocked...the vehicle designers cannot take into consideration every situation that the owner might take to block the camera. Are you going to strap on an extra gas container or garbage pack on your wheel? I believe that the back up alarm can be switched off if you block the rear bumper sensors.

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
If the rear camera view is simply blocked...the vehicle designers cannot take into consideration every situation that the owner might take to block the camera. Are you going to strap on an extra gas container or garbage pack on your wheel? I believe that the back up alarm can be switched off if you block the rear bumper sensors.
Yes, don't expect Jeep to design around this and am aware you can likely turn the alarm off. I am asking whether the rack manufacturers will be changing/creating a new design to account for the camera. I plan to leave a rack on most of the time..

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The tire mount rack through the center hole won't work.

72403d1114382596-bike-rack-question-spare-tire-mounted-input-needed-saris.jpg

from there, the racks are generic for the most part. Jeep did extend the gutters on the hard top. You could now get a roof rack on top easier than before and have no issues seeing with the camera.

Option two? Install one of these to your rear view camera to see over the bikes:

-En-Plastique-P-riscope-T-lescope-Espion-int-rieure-en-plein-air-Enfants-Jouets-Jeux.jpg_640x640.jpg

JeepRat

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500, 2015 Lexus NX300h, 2017 Jeep Renegade, 2015 Subaru Forester, 2012 Lexus CT200H
I do a lot of cycling, both MTB and Road. I find myself taking my bikes all over the place. I will have a hitch and know there are a few options that exist from Yakima and Thule. I know many also use the spare mounted options.

Do we not foresee a resign coming for these products as the rear cam will be blocked?

Insights appreciated!
I have been looking at these since they won't compromise the approach angles. However, I'm sure that the backup camera view will be looking through the bikes (which I don't mind since I like seeing them). The outfit is out of Australia and they seem to have a well thought out product that is just slightly more expensive than the most expensive offerings from Thule, Yakima etc. (their prices are listed in AUS$). They are also customizable to your set up based on rear mounted tire width and vehicle lift. Anyone used or seen these? Thoughts?

http://www.isi-carriers.com/index.html

Sponsored

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm planning to use my Kuat NV with the Wrangler. I've used it on my SUV for years and it's been great and rock steady. For the Wrangler, I'll probably need an extension for the rack to clear the spare tire. I'm not concerned with the rear camera although there would still be some visibility while the rack is in use.

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S

Do we not foresee a resign coming for these products as the rear cam will be blocked?

Insights appreciated!
I'm in the same boat as you. Maybe a smaller company will come out with a JL specific rack but I wouldn't count on Thule or Yakima designing something for one vehicle.

The hitch mounted hanging swing arm options are too tall so will block the camera with or without bikes. if only with bikes on that would be fine but I leave my back rack on all year as it gets used regularly.

Roof racks wont work for me do to underground parking.

I have not found a tire mount option that is lockable to the vehicle and that folds out of the way that will work with the "special" camera location. Only temporary strap on models that don't fold out of the way. Folding is preferred as I need a rack that can take four bikes.

Does anyone know if the platform models tilt enough to open the gate with bikes on it? That might be an option although still need to tilt it every time to open the gate. If you have one how high does the four bike model sit up when folded. Will it block the camera.

Bluerhino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2005 Porsche 911 S
I'm planning to use my Kuat NV with the Wrangler. I've used it on my SUV for years and it's been great and rock steady. For the Wrangler, I'll probably need an extension for the rack to clear the spare tire. I'm not concerned with the rear camera although there would still be some visibility while the rack is in use.
OK that was quick! That will work well. It can be expanded to four when needed and with the pivot arm will move completely out of the way. There is an extension available too. You da man! Cheers! :like:

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Wow, the Kuat is very nice and a good option albeit at $600+ an expensive one!

Sponsored

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Raxster makes a nice bike rack for jeeps.

It has an option that you can get a longer extension so no extra extension piece is needed, like most other hitch racks for a jeep.

Also, when you put the bikes on the rack you can easily place them so they don't block the backup camera. The call it auto nesting.

The only negative is the hitch does not fold down so you only partially open the back door if you need to get into the back.

http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=5

OP
OP
snelldogg

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
Raxster makes a nice bike rack for jeeps.

It has an option that you can get a longer extension so no extra extension piece is needed, like most other hitch racks for a jeep.

Also, when you put the bikes on the rack you can easily place them so they don't block the backup camera. The call it auto nesting.

The only negative is the hitch does not fold down so you only partially open the back door if you need to get into the back.

http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=5
That is nice and well priced but won't hold a fat bike. Kuat is leading the charge at the moment.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Bought a Kuat last year for the JK. Had an extension but it wasn't low enough to let the tailgate open with the bikes still attached and lowered. So bought a drop down attachment and worked perfect with the tailgate.

Check Etrailer...bought my rack from them for a hundred or so cheaper than rack attack or any local store near me.

aCeMedic13

First Name
Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Have been looking into this for a while. I narrowed it down to 1up and KuatNV.

1up USA
$529 - $639
Black color available. 2 + single add ons.
Up to 50 lb bikes with 46 lb rack weight
or up to 75 lb bikes with 47 lb rack weight (Super duty version)
One of the lighter racks. Very compact.
Anti-sway tech with lockable hitch.
Requires hitch extension to clear spare tire. (Most do for jeeps)

attachment.jpg

784662d1364302664-1up-quick-rack-quick-review-img_0604.jpg

282699_23699_L.jpg

IMG_0496.jpg

KuatNV 2.0
$629
2 + 2 add ons.
Includes "field repair stand" and internal magnetic cable locks.
60 lb bike max.
Rack weight : Can't find but I recall reviews saying it was quite heavy.
Anti-sway tech with lockable hitch.
Requires hitch extension to clear spare tire.
Will not clear back unless drop hitch used.

P8200625.jpg

P8190403.jpg

No Clearance with stand straight hitch.

154_1106_02%2Bbike_rack_roundup%2Battaching_kuat_to_jeep.jpg

Drop hitch clears ok. (They sell this on their website as well).

attachment.jpg
Sponsored