Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Which specific issues? By the way, both part numbers are invalid in the Mopar parts system. There might be some typos because Mopar parts have 8 numbers and two letters at the end. 6839408AA only has 7 numbers. And 68394097AA doesn't show up at all so it might have a typo as well.
Then I have nothing I guess lol. Those are the part numbers listed on my repair order sheet that are needed.

As long as there are parts to fix the issue, I will be much happier. Working with FCA, it is looking like mine will be shipped from here in MO back to AZ to be fixed once the parts are available. So at least I won't have to drive it home like it is.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks you beat me to it! Haven't made it to dealer yet, but when I get new damper I will report results!

That's what is great about this forum - the free flow of information that helps all of us when it comes to getting problems resolved & sharing information/experiences.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Is it just me or is it beginning to feel like FCA is ā€œstartingā€ to solve the problem that some folks are having with steering? New parts, new Star publications, etc.

I am new to the Jeep world but it seems to me like they are ā€œgaining momentumā€ in trying to solve the problem?

I Hope so as the NHTSA complaints continue to rise..... seemingly a few each day.... 651 now for the 2018 and 18 for the 2019..... most relate to ā€œsteering and suspensionā€......

Last edited:

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Here is the updated version of the "Shimmy Felt in Front End" Star case - Jan 31 2019 # S1819000004 The changes are the date code range which was increased and it includes instructions on how to test the steering damper aka steering stabilizer. Previous version was November 2018.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-end-jan-31-2019-star-case-s1819000004.25550/
My Jeep has been at the dealer for a week now and all they have done is tell me they are testing the SS per the above star case and trying to find a proper stabilizer. Sounded like they gave up on the OEM ones and ordered a Fox as a replacement. I'm really pissed as I pass the dealership every day going home from work and my Jeep hasn't moved from when I dropped it off last Friday. I am trying to tread lightly and have patience to give them adequate time to repair and go over my vehicle but taking this long with no resolve and then to give me the stabilizer BS as the culprit is beyond annoying. My Jeep cares case manager has been in touch with me once so far to update me and he was about as useless an un-knowledgeable on the issue as the service advisor at my dealership. I'm at my wit ends....

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My Jeep has been at the dealer for a week now and all they have done is tell me they are testing the SS per the above star case and trying to find a proper stabilizer. Sounded like they gave up on the OEM ones and ordered a Fox as a replacement. I'm really pissed as I pass the dealership every day going home from work and my Jeep hasn't moved from when I dropped it off last Friday. I am trying to tread lightly and have patience to give them adequate time to repair and go over my vehicle but taking this long with no resolve and then to give me the stabilizer BS as the culprit is beyond annoying. My Jeep cares case manager has been in touch with me once so far to update me and he was about as useless an un-knowledgeable on the issue as the service advisor at my dealership. I'm at my wit ends....
It is interesting where people are reporting multiple times that their dealers have or are considering using aftermarket steering stabilizers, and others have reported multiple times that their dealers won't work on their Jeep because it has an aftermarket steering stabilizer. That is frustrating too.

eric613

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask for some advice. My Jeep has the same wobble issues. Or at least starting to show signs of the wobble.
When I am driving at highway speed and I hit a bump, I do feel the shimmy/vibration. First time I felt it, it was very minor and I didn't think much of it but now it's not a significant wobble but I can definitely feel it and it seems to last longer.

So I have gone to the dealership and dropped it off after no calls from the dealership. I call to ask for the status, the service advisor said, "you have a dead spot in your stabilizer bar. We will order the part so leave it overnight." Next day I get a call from a different service advisor saying they cannot reproduce and they have check all the suspension components and nothing wrong with it and I should come pick up the jeep.....

Long story short, what should I do in this case? should I try a different dealership? I feel like none of these guys even looked at the Jeep. As I had the same issue of could not replicate story with the audio cutting in and out when cold.

Last edited:

Socceref

First Name
Ref
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara (loaded)
I had the same driving experience. My dealership found steering and chassis bolts were not tightened to Jeep specs. A torque wrench solved the problem. No issues since these were tightened.

mammoth713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
c5z
Here are 3 quick videos. I could not get them uploaded here. One shows the amount of play in the cold at 75mph that the steering wheel has. If you watch further in the steering view, you get well over an inch each way at speed. When you hit a bump or expansion joint it shakes real bad now.

The other two are how you can move the various steering components by hand in the front end. It has actually gotten worse, I took a video about 700 miles ago at a gas station, then this morning at the hotel. More play now.

Lol wowzers
Definitely a design issue or tolerance issue

mammoth713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
c5z
So, just had my first real death wobble moment this morning. 2018 JLU Sahara, bone stock, not off-roaded, @6500 miles. Traveling @75 mph and hit a bridge expansion joint that is at an angle to the direction of travel and I thought the whole thing was going to shake apart. It didn't stop until I slowed to @55 mph. One more note, today is about the coldest its been all year (mid-TN).

I've had minor shakes before but they were well within what I'd consider acceptable but today was something else. I don't scare too easily but this was frightening. I'm putting together an email with a lot of the good info from this thread to send to my dealer and we'll see what happens. I shudder to think what would have happened if my wife was driving or if I wouldn't have been able to get it back under control (on an overpass, with a decent amount of pitch, curved from left to right).

Otherwise, I've no complaints and the Jeep really puts a smile on my face but wobbling like that most definitely overrides any sense of happiness the Jeep brings me...
As an engineer, how wouldn't this shit be uncovered during mule testing...

It blows my mind

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the same driving experience. My dealership found steering and chassis bolts were not tightened to Jeep specs. A torque wrench solved the problem. No issues since these were tightened.
What symptoms would loose chassis bolts cause? And do you mean engine mount boats? Or frame bolts?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Lol wowzers
Definitely a design issue or tolerance issue
Yeah, it seems like every steering component has excess play. When the loose parts are all combined it really impacts driving. I had my wife turn the steering wheel today again and just watched the track bar. It also has quite a bit of play in the bushing as well. Literally every steering related component has 1/8 or more play in it. This is after everything being torqued to spec.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah, it seems like every steering component has excess play. When the loose parts are all combined it really impacts driving. I had my wife turn the steering wheel today again and just watched the track bar. It also has quite a bit of play in the bushing as well. Literally every steering related component has 1/8 or more play in it. This is after everything being torqued to spec.
I wonder if it had been torqued to spec at the factory, if these parts wouldn't of been prematurely worn out over time. How many miles were on your Jeep when everything was torqued to spec?

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if it had been torqued to spec at the factory, if these parts wouldn't of been prematurely worn out over time. How many miles were on your Jeep when everything was torqued to spec?
I would have to look at my paperwork. Most was correct torque already. I think the issue is that all the bushings are weak. After X amount of time (may very based on how you use the jeep. ) They wear out. Mine was great for 2500 or so miles. My jeep is 100% factory so far. I have driven mostly highway, with some easy trail use. (Not a scratch under the jeep). This also fits in with Jeep coming out a new track bar and new end links / bushings that are stronger.
Sponsored