Sponsored

Not using ESS feature anymore... Here's why

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I changed the oil today (First change) Reset the oil life counter and left the info display to oil pressure when I left the Auto Hobby Shop. Normal oil pressure @ 30psi, looks good I say... Then I hit the first traffic light, engine stops, pressure zero; cool. Upon engine restart and I start rolling, the oil pressure rose to 67psi then slowly tapered down to the normal 30psi; yikes!

The only way I could prevent the high pressure spike was to ease off the brake and sit for about 8 sec then go. Try doing that in Comifornia traffic without getting shot at. With the ESS system off (Button) the oil pressure remains at a constant 30psi.

This oil spike can not be good for the oil seals over the long haul. Additionally, would that pressure spike Bypass the oil filter and allow unfiltered oil to circulate for a time? I imagine it would and that also can not be a good thing. Hence no more ESS for me.

I did a search and did not see this referenced in any oil pressure or ESS threads. If this has been addressed, I apologize for wasting your time.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Additionally, would that pressure spike Bypass the oil filter and allow unfiltered oil to circulate for a time?
hmm That is not how the system works. Also, it would not matter. The oil filter's job is to remove particulate matter and any nasties which get in there from blow by. All the oil in your engine is makes a pass through the filter and is clean enough to do its job.
Also, the oil pressure sensor in your car is not designed to accurately read fast spikes, so you certainly cannot take any reading you see as accurate.
Furthermore, it is almost certain that power is momentarily removed from that sensor when power is applied to the starter, thus it needs some milliseconds to come back to operation. All cars with ESS stop giving power to most things in the car when starting. You will notice for example your wipers will stop moving for a second.
The radio will stay on, but charging will be disrupted. Naturally, this also means that any momentary spikes you see are not reliable.
You can always pop a calibrated gauge on there and check it. Short of that, don't take the little blip as gospel.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Either way, I'm done with ESS. With it disabled, I do not have any fluctuations in oil pressure it stays at 30psi at all speeds.
@Jo's Jeep
And how did you disable your Jl's ESS.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Pressed the button on the dash that prevents it from engaging. I know you have to do that each time that you start the vehicle but I'm fine with that.
@Jo's Jeep

Yup, the button is there for that reason. Was just curious how you were doing it.

Depending on my mood... I either push the button or I let either my SmartStopStart or my Tazer JL Min do the deed for me.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
@Jo's Jeep

Yup, the button is there for that reason. Was just curious how you were doing it.

Depending on my mood... I either push the button or I let either my SmartStopStart or my Tazer JL Min do the deed for me.
Only the rif raf push THE BUTTON!!!

Sponsored

Lincoln

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JLU, 2017 Chevy Express 2500 High Top Explorer 4x4 Conversion Van, 2011 Ford F-150, 2016 Jayco Seneca 37TS Motorhome
Either way, I'm done with ESS. With it disabled, I do not have any fluctuations in oil pressure it stays at 30psi at all speeds.
That’s the only thing I really don’t like about my Jeep. I’m really not worried about burning a couple of table spoons of gas why I’m at a red light If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a Prius

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
67PSI wow that's not normal, never seen mine fluctuate to any extreme like that??? I've never seen anything "sike at all and never above 32 PSI or so.

Forget ESS worries and probably have that checked out! ESS should have nothing to do with oil pressure?

Go Jeep!!!

Last edited:

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Coasting down a hill with cruise on at 65 MPH.........Oil PSI might be 18-20. When i start climbing the next hill it might go up to 40-50 PSI and drops fairly quickly as load/acceleration required to maintain speed decreases. (2.0L) RPM staying around 1600-1800. It may have been even higher than 60 but I honestly can't remember but did note that its a pretty wide range of fluctuation depending on load. Doesn't concern me.
Sponsored