Rust Protection Standard?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Not the best picture, but this is the rust proofing and undercoating from LineX.

IMG_20190116_132628772.jpg
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Are you happy with it? I was looking for a place to take mine
Yes I am. I also had my 17 JKU done when we bought it. No problems with it. After owning a TJ, I do what I can to try to prevent any rust, if possible.

Sponsored

Bobbythek

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Not the best picture, but this is the rust proofing and undercoating from LineX.

IMG_20190116_132628772.jpg
If I have my new JL Wrangler undercoated with LineX will it void the factory of extended warranty?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I remember in 2011 when I got my JK some people were outraged that some came from the factory with rust on some underbody structural components and axles. They were going to demand new ones. An engineer and a couple of mechanics said that it was normal not like thin sheet metal. Mine had a little and still does but nearly 8 years later it is the same as first day. A study by the American Trucking Association (big over the road trucks, dump trucks, etc.) found that structural rust wasn't as much of a problem as the brine infiltration into electrical components and wiring. Only rust I've had over 50 years is the cowls of a 1979 Honda Accord. I sure saved a lot of money not rustproofing any of my vehicles.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

Im new to the wrangler scene (absolutely love it) and live in the North East. The salt along with the moisture build up during the winter just destroys undercarriages. I just purchased my wrangler a few weeks ago and was wondering does the car come with any basic rust protection or undercoat film from the factory? I am planning on coating it with fluid film in the next few days but I just don't want to put something on that'll potentially take off any standard coat from the factory.

Thanks a ton for your input!
Here's a better tip, move to the west coast. Funny. I've been here a year and now when I watch video's on youtube, or whatever, and see people working on vehicles from the east coast, with all of that rust, it stands out like a sore thumb to me now and they look so corroded. Anyhow, I'd agree with the others, keep up with the power washing to get the sodium chloride off and setting you up for rust. Not a whole lot you can do otherwise.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I remember in 2011 when I got my JK some people were outraged that some came from the factory with rust on some underbody structural components and axles. They were going to demand new ones. An engineer and a couple of mechanics said that it was normal not like thin sheet metal. Mine had a little and still does but nearly 8 years later it is the same as first day. A study by the American Trucking Association (big over the road trucks, dump trucks, etc.) found that structural rust wasn't as much of a problem as the brine infiltration into electrical components and wiring. Only rust I've had over 50 years is the cowls of a 1979 Honda Accord. I sure saved a lot of money not rustproofing any of my vehicles.
You never owned a TJ then.

Sponsored

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
They come with nothing and rust fast. Here in the Chicagoland area, it is not uncommon for there to be rust on the undercarriage while still on the dealer lot...
What do you use for rust paint, winter is coming soon?

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
What is the product name did you use to undercoating your jeep?
Here is what work for me. I order my cars/jeeps, pick them up at local dealer(pays to buy local, store is around the corner and gives excellent service, free loaners for any servive on any car, new or out of warranty) and bring them right home.

power wash under side, allow to dry. Pull all the inner liners out.

Paint everything under neath with Eastwoods Rust encapsulator paint and then top coat with their chasis black epoxy, do all the floors and suspension. Also use their paintable seam sealer on floor pan seems where they overlap. I use their inner frame coating ( Zinc phenolic) inside all the rocker boxes and frames. Cans come with a wand. Then I finish with waxy coating I bought at PSC, spray it on everything

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/undercoating-in-a-can-black-wax-coating/

I use Rustoleum aluminum paint on all the aluminum underneath

lastly I use Fluid film with a wand to flood all the lower doors, tailgate and respray inside the frames, rockers.

Time consuming PITA to do this but if you do it correctly from the get go when new and everything is clean, it works well.

I also use eastwoods caliper paint and do the calipers. Pull the unit bearings out and put some grease behind them so down the road can get them out of the hubs for replacement.

Also take all connectors apart and put dielectic grease in them for corrosion. On all negative chasis grounds, use liquid electrical tape, and dab on the ends where the eye loops are so corrosion doesnt start.

Things like this will help avert all the stupid little problems that crop up.
Sponsored

Last edited: