Jeep Wave [the hand thing, not the program]

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
Sponsored

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am in socal and it depends on your area. Up where I live In fallbrook, I get 75% waves returned and there are lots of jeeps in this area.

When I lived in Rancho Bernardo, I got none. If they aren't modding them and or on the forums, they don't know about it and just think you are weird. :rock:

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
So, I've read repeatedly about the Jeep Wave and thought it was kind of cool. A fellowship of sorts between like-minded enthusiasts/fans. Having ridden motorcycles for years, I figured it was similar to what I experience on two wheels. I have to say, I'm starting to think it's a myth. It seems no one in my neck of the woods is eager to wave from their Jeep to me in mine. Any of you in Southern California consistently waving and getting waves? Maybe I'm doing it wrong. It's half your body out the window with both hands outstretched and enthusiastic jazz hands, right? I'm going to be so embarrassed if it's supposed to be spirit fingers and I've been doing it wrong this whole time.
The same is here on Long Island NY. I wave at every Wrangler I pass only to get weird looks from them.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I am in socal and it depends on your area. Up where I live In fallbrook, I get 75% waves returned and there are lots of jeeps in this area.

When I lived in Rancho Bernardo, I got none. If they aren't modding them and or on the forums, they don't know about it and just think you are weird. :rock:
I'm in Rancho San Diego. So far, I'm just the weird dude.

Sponsored

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I drove through Utah and out of the 40 or so jeeps I seen the only one that waved back was a jeep jl.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Almost everyone waves here in central fla, don’t know the exact percentage, but has to be north of 90%. However, there are a lot of Jeeps around here, and it’s not a big city, maybe that has something to do with it.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I often wave if someone else waves first, but I'd really prefer not to. It's not really a "club" we are in. Last month I was driving the gkids home from school as a Jeep approached. I wasn't paying attention and as the Jeep got close and I didn't wave the hand went from waving to giving me the finger. I would have normally waved but that one sorta has soured me on the whole process. There is a pretty active Jeep Club on FB in my area. It seems like the "gods of mud" of the club page are people in a POS Cherokee where the gas in the tank is worth more than their Jeep. Then they just want to make fun of anyone that doesn't think it's funny to roll your Jeep on its side when going out and running a trail. If you have a JK you are automatically a Mall Crawler. I'm sure the JL will get the same status. It's really hard to feel like you want to be comrades with people like that.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I drove through Utah and out of the 40 or so jeeps I seen the only one that waved back was a jeep jl.
At what point do you stop initiating the wave? On my motorcycle, I've noticed that coastal riders are much less likely to acknowledge each other while inland and mountain riders almost always do. I suppose it's like millerjl said and it's a regional thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I often wave if someone else waves first, but I'd really prefer not to. It's not really a "club" we are in. Last month I was driving the gkids home from school as a Jeep approached. I wasn't paying attention and as the Jeep got close and I didn't wave the hand went from waving to giving me the finger. I would have normally waved but that one sorta has soured me on the whole process. There is a pretty active Jeep Club on FB in my area. It seems like the "gods of mud" of the club page are people in a POS Cherokee where the gas in the tank is worth more than their Jeep. Then they just want to make fun of anyone that doesn't think it's funny to roll your Jeep on its side when going out and running a trail. If you have a JK you are automatically a Mall Crawler. I'm sure the JL will get the same status. It's really hard to feel like you want to be comrades with people like that.
Not cool and totally understandable why you wouldn't want to be a part of that. I'll admit, even on the bike it can get rather tedious. Maybe I should count my blessings that I'm not waving every time I see a Jeep pass. There are quite a few in my area as well.

OP
OP
jafo_jl

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Almost everyone waves here in central fla, don’t know the exact percentage, but has to be north of 90%. However, there are a lot of Jeeps around here, and it’s not a big city, maybe that has something to do with it.
I tend to think people in central Florida are just friendlier.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Portland, OR I'd say it's about 75%, which is about the same as I see on my motorcycle. Now, head over to central OR and it's darn close to 100%.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Iowa, I’d say about 75% of the Jeeps that I pass will wave

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm in your neck of the woods, 92139. I taught my wife about the Wave when we traded her Liberty in for the Wrangler. First time she tried it she got the one finger salute back. Gotta love Comifornia. Needless to say she does not wave. I put a wave sticker on the driver mirror and called it a day.
Sponsored