Jeep and mud question

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sorry if I'm posting wrong but help please? I have a one day old 2 door wrangler JL sport. I wanted to make sure the four wheel drive worked so I drove it into a nearby field and got it really stuck deep in mud. $400.00 later the tow truck guy says I need to take it to the dealer for inspection to see if there is mud in something (maybe he said transfer something or another) Now I'm freaking out. Do I really need to worry about this?
The mud didn't go up to the frame and I think that big black thing that hangs down in the middle of the underside didn't get in the mud.
Sorry as you can tell from my post I know nothing about cars or 4 wheeling. I only know to stay out of grassy fields!
No need to panic. Your Jeep should be Ok.

Now you know something about wheeling: to never go alone. Minimum 2 Jeeps, 3 is better.
Another thing to know about Jeeps, they are called Jeeps, not cars.:)

And don't let this experience stop you from having fun with your Jeep, join a local Jeep club, go out with them and you will learn many things about your Jeep and wheeling :rock:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Like others have said, there is nothing to worry about. You don’t need to buy a winch either (probably the coolest but most overrated mod). Best advice is to get a buddy with another capable 4x4 (another Jeep or a truck) and good recovery strap. Going off-road solo without experience is a recipe to get in trouble. Have fun.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
You learned the oldest lesson in the book: Four-wheel in; walk out.

If you think that was fun, go find a fallow rice or bean field in Texas and high-center your rig on a fire ant mound.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
To have a jeep can give you years of off-road pleasure and you should stay away from MUD--

You can cause more DAMAGE with high pressure water, in cleaning your jeep---trying to "CLEANSE" it than you can imagine--

A little rock crawling/rut travel/hill climbs, can show you the reason for having the jeep--NOT MUD !

Mud stuck to the wheels inner "BALANCE WEIGHTS" can cause a bearing/seal/IMBALANCE and shorter equipment life==

STAY AWAY FROM MUD !!!!

W.E.

JIMBO

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
best advise i can give you is to join a jeep club, or at least hit up easter jeep safari or jeep beach. tag along with a group and they will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

as for the tow, that's my profession. by the sounds of your recovery, i would charge no more than 100 bux. and that's in canadian dollars, so probably like 30 bux american. lol. seriously tho your recovery shouldn't have been more than 100 bux. he didn't even have to crawl underneath to find a hook slot. he would have just connected to your rear tow hook. 400 bux, what a crook.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Next time call a redneck with a truck or have one with you at the start. They'll save you $400 by pulling you out for free.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to ask forgiveness for this... but...…..... I couldn't help but notice.........

"...and I think that big black thing that hangs down in the middle of the underside didn't get in the mud."

goodfellas.gif

In all seriousness, @SusanH , I hope you have fun with your rig... sorry it cost a seemingly unnecessary $400 (he took advantage). Auto, manual...? And how about some pics...?

I'm sooooooo hoping you have a sense of humor...

Sponsored

TonyM

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A JL Soon.
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing about mud is getting it cleaned off. invest in a pressure washer. Also, each time I have been in mud, one of my wheel sensors have went out. It was common in my JK, and usually locked up a wheel. If you are going down the interstate, with cruise control on, and it kicks out, or at an intersection, and your wheel locks up, it is an indication of a bad sensor. Lots of fields around here, with plenty of mud, but have not taken my JLRU in any of it, nor plan to...especially after harvest time and in to spring.

IMG_0018.jpeg
What’s the color underneath? Lol

Jeephairchick

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR; Previous: 2016 Hydro Blue JKU
One time mudding is no biggie....now continuous will cause axle seals to eventually leak. My JKU had 12k when they started leaking for the first time and I went to the dealership to see if warranty would cover it but they wouldn't because it had been "off road" and my axles were full of mud. They wanted to charge me $900 to replace. I bought the seals for $50 and paid a mechanic friend $200. When I re-geared my Jeep at 28k miles my axles were full of mud again and I replaced the seals for a 2nd time. Just letting you know....not condoning mudding because it is way too much fun....just sharing my experience!

M1911a1fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON , 2021 JT MOJAVE
Occupation
BMW Service Director
60C76E55-5B14-4D24-908F-D9CFDB0303F9.jpeg
get a winch for self recovery or wheel with a buddy that has one. I’ve been stuck lots in the past. That’s how you find your limit. $400 does sound steep that’s half the price of a good winch

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Some of the posters are blowing this way out of proportion, it's not like you drowned it in a swamp. First off the stock sport tires aren't aggressive enough for you get into real trouble in the first place. If you don't have the anti slip rear axle option they are not even all terrains but a highway tire to boot. You said it didn't even get up to the skid plate (black thing) so there's really no need for concern. Take it to the car wash and dump a bunch of quarters in it and spray it down underneath.

And as far as not even going near mud (see this posted all the time), that's great if you live in the desert. People need to look outside their bubble and understand that not everyone lives where it's dry and if you don't want to wheel in mud then you might as well stay home.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Off roading is off roading, but you can always stay away from mud!! Mudding is just that mudding! Best advice from an old Jeeper, "stay away from mud"!! If ya want to do mud buy an older jeep set it up for mud and go ruin it!

I think a mudded up Jeep looks great but proves how dumb you were, sorry, but true!!!! lol

Mud stucks!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored