OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
So basically all new JL's have some porosity, and the jeep you had with the issues was over and above the accepted level or standards.....
I would say that you are going to find some due to the type of metal and welding process. My 18 was far more than I was willing to accept as it looked like swiss cheese with 85 percent of its weld having large amounts of slag. My 19 has cleaner welds with far less porosity. No porosity is good (I would never allow it on my own welding projects but in mass production there is going to be some. Slag...should be addressed at frame factory before electroplating. All it takes is a wire brush wheel and a drill. I would say my 19 has 95 percent less slag than my 18. I think its the best I am going to get.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you ever experience that again, and you could, check to ensure the cabin filter is installed correctly and the little door is actually shut and sealed. An old Saturn of ours had a tendency to not want to shut all the way - or it looked shut but wasn't sealed unless all the planets lined up perfectly. Ha ha.

What happens is the fresh air comes in and hits the filter. Most of the air goes through the filter but some goes straight in the glove box thus causing that. It's the same concept as my 65 Mustang I had in the 80's and forgetting to close the fresh air vents until a freezing cold morning came along. Every car I've owned or helped with had the basic same set up behind the glove box.
My 14 challenger was like that with the cabin filter box but never smelled like mold. Honestly I think it might have had some water intrusion in the ac ducts before assembly.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So no porous welds at all or minimal and up to standards vs the non-stop porosity we saw on your 18?
I can’t speak for him, but the welds on my 19 compared to my 18 are far and away better. Honestly, it looks like the process was completely revamped.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t speak for him, but the welds on my 19 compared to my 18 are far and away better. Honestly, it looks like the process was completely revamped.
Hey, Bret... so you finally got your '19?

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yep! I picked her up on the 13th. I posted a few pictures in the NC Roll Call thread and the Billet Silver thread.
Very handsome-looking Jeep there, neighbor... I'm happy for you, and I hope you have this one for a whole helluva lot longer than the 2018.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are in the weld issues thread.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad it's better but does that mean no holes or just acceptable levels.
There are holes but for instance where I had dozens in a 6 in weld on my 2018 with some very large, I might have 1 to 3 small ones now on the 2019. They still shouldn't be there but in mass production where speed is a priority I think it's the best I am going to get and acceptable imho. Also when I have a hole (porosity)on the 19 there isn't another right next to it. On my 18 they were right next together in strongs almost like a pearl necklace of holes.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention...my sport s is equipped with 7inch radio and came from factory with off road pages in the main guage display. Kinda cool

Last edited:

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
There are holes but for instance where I had dozens in a 6 in weld on my 2018 with some very large, I might have 1 to 3 small ones now on the 2019. They still shouldn't be there but in mass production where speed is a priority I think it's the best I am going to get and acceptable imho. Also when I have a hole (porosity)on the 19 there isn't another right next to it. On my 18 they were right next together in strongs almost like a pearl necklace of holes.
Ok good info. Mine is in the norm given your description.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Developing some weirdness in steering and suspension. Taking it in next Thursday I suspect some of it is the steering stabilizer
Sponsored