Sponsored

Verified: Remote Proximity Keyless Entry & Push Button Start for JL / JLU Wrangler

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
First, the moment the keys go about 10' from the steering wheel you would get the visual/audbile alert, so you would know pretty much immediately.

Second, where are you putting your keys that is so easy to lose them, your short shorts from the 70s?

If you're driving with your doors off and have holes in your pockets, get some binder twine and tie them to yourself.

I'd bet this would happen less often than you make it seem.
You've never had anything slide out of your pocket while sitting? In your car? In a restaurant? The point is it's easier to lose when the key with proximity remote systems, even if it doesn't happen that often. It's a verifiable fact, no one has ever lost a key when it's in the ignition.

Are they falling into a transdimensional hole? The moment they leave the vehicle you get a warning, if you ignore that, then that's on you. Now if you turn off the vehicle and part ways without asking for your keys back, yeah it can happen, just like if they drive there, and you just forget to swap physical keys currently.

Take some personal responsability, auto mfrs shouldn't be forced to limit options to the least capable of the herd.

Anyone who finds key management too difficult shouldn't be allowed on the road, for the safety of everyone else.
Actually, my wife's Audi Q7 does not give you an audible alert when the person with the keys walks away. I'm not so dense that I would ignore something like that. This is probably a bug and needs to be looked at, but again the point is it is susceptible to flaws and situations that I've found myself in - driving away without the keys after dropping my wife off and not realizing it until you get to the destination and shut off the engine.

Do a search online. It happens with many different makes' proximity remotes and I'm sure some will experience it with the JL too. Not to mention many times the proximity key is frustrating and doesn't consistently unlock the doors, requiring multiple pulls at the handle before it actually "senses" it. It trades simplicity which the Wrangler is known for for convenience and more electronics. No need to throw the baby out of with the bathwater and scrap the whole system but know that these systems are far from perfect.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You've never had anything slide out of your pocket while sitting? In your car? In a restaurant? The point is it's easier to lose when the key with proximity remote systems, even if it doesn't happen that often. It's a verifiable fact, no one has ever lost a key when it's in the ignition.
First it's not verifiable, I don't even know how you'd go about verifying that. However, not only do people forget their vehicle is on, I have personally witnessed people ask themselves out-loud "where did I put my keys" when they forgot they m to warm up their vehicle to/from the skihill, but that's anecdotal evidence that you theory might not be fact. Similar to those who ask where their phone is to jot down a number they are being given... while on the phone. :facepalm:

Regardless, and most importantly it may happen, but if that's as X-approaches zero, then they shouldn't worry about that, and instead focus on the benefits of the majority. Again personal responsability, and not a safety issue. Even your worst case scenario is just thinning he heard darwin style. I'm willing to sacrifice the morons so the rest of us can benefit.

Again may I suggest a lanyard similar to those attached to your mittens.
Or get one of these (the wistle is for when you get lost or fear stranger-danger);

IMG_0160.JPG

Do a search online...No need to throw the baby out of with the bathwater and scrap the whole system but know that these systems are far from perfect.
I don't need to do the search, I know they're out there (like the guy from Jalopnik who was mocked by readers and his fellow writers). Also, I experience a lot of different proximity keys and even traditional (non-sentry) keys from all the different cars I rent during my travels for work and vacation. Not an issue for either end of the spectrum, because as a human I adapt.

Now you do some online research, and see the Ram implementation with the 3 options, and then tell me if you can't figure out how to make that work. If not, then you're likely asking for too much, and probably should either stick with a JK or look to a Lexus.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me additionally paint your "don't you lose your keys" scenario in a light that shows more of a counter example of equal or greater potential / tortious harm.

Say you come back from the woods/skill hill/beach. Now you pack your things in the vehicle and while doing so the keys slide out of the jacket/pants/purse you kept them in and fall into one of the tiny gaps in the Wrangler like the space between the console and seat, or the gap behind the fold-down rear seats, or even kicked them under the wrangler as you went to get in, etc.

Now you go to start the vehicle, realize your keys weren't exactly where you out them in that jacket/pants/purse, but when you go to retrieve them they aren't there. Where did they go? They aren't on the seat, they aren't on the ground you walked up on. Now do you even have a cue as to where they are, or do you walk back into the woods, skihill, etc and then spend ophours looking? Are you any less stranded now than your scenario or is this even more likely? Dunno, has anyone tested it?

The difference being of course, if the key slids down the seats I press the start button, and it starts, I know it's near the vehicle, so first I double check around the outside, including underneath (just in case) especially near the tyres, but regardless I know for sure it is within 5 feet of the vehicle, thus narrowing my search. Then I double check inside in the 'likely spots'. Now, even if the search returns nothing I can start to leave knowing they are nearby. Now if Imove off and I now get a warning, then oh, must have fallen somewhere around the Jeep, again narrowing search. If no warning because the system doesn't have one, or I don't trust it, I can always stop the vehicle after ~20-70ft and see if it starts up again (shouldn't that far away) if it doesn't then I know again, double check area around where I was parked. If it does keep going figure it out when I get home and have better lighting and more time for a thorough search in the comfort of home, and can reprogram keys if an issue and can't be found, thus costing you the loss of a key and reprogramming, but that was the cost of the other scenarios anyways.
So now you can get a hint and move, whereas in your scenario, you not only don't have any hints on where it is, you can't even start your vehicle to warm it up while the kiddies and wife complain about the delay and lack of heat, etc.
Or if it's a question of it being lost on your person and you didn't even get inside, then you can't even unlock the vehicle even though you have the keys. Do you now search the entire skihill forest again, in the dark? At least with the proximity key if it's missing and it doesn't let you in at least it's more likely not on your person (unless dead battery) and you know to start your search from whence you came. If you can't figure this out, then you're stuck, and in the middle of nowhere with the cold, you again encounter that same worst case scenario you imply, although if you swapped keys with your spouse/child, then at least when you're in the middle of nowhere you're not locked out.

Both option have their exceptions to the rules, but if we just stuck by those then we'd all be still driving model Ts or worse.

Likely to most, the benefits of proximity keys far outweighs their rare & limited drawbacks, but automakers will never please everyone.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
ThIs will most likely be an option and not standard so everyone will be able to get exactly what they want.

My mom's car has Push Button Start and I have a tendacy to pull out the keys and then drop them in the console when I remember I don't need them. Then I forget them. I would probably get used to it if it were my daily driver. I hope I don't get Internet-shamed for not loving the feature.

But I am glad it will be an option to put it on parity with other modern SUVs.

Sponsored

Limitless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT
Vehicle Showcase
looking forward to this one. hope they keep the current fobik style.

Jeep Wrangler JL Verified: Remote Proximity Keyless Entry & Push Button Start for JL / JLU Wrangler {filename}

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking forward to this one. hope they keep the current fobik style.
Yeah, but the Best Part of that Fob is.... the Engine it's starting, I want THAT more than proximity keys. :rock:

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
I'm glad to see this option for the JL but I do hope they keep the push button handles. Maybe this is one of those "it's a jeep thing" things but there's something satisfying about the manual feel of the door release when you push that button as opposed to a conventional SUV's pull handles.

ghcartwright

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Wrangler, 2013 Sonic
Actually the push button style handle is a fairly recent "jeep thing" that began with the JK. The CJ, YJ, & TJ all had a pull style door handle. That old style pull handle, out of an old AMC parts bin, is admittedly different from the current proposal.

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Nice there'll be no need to ever take keys out of pockets or bag.

Hope it doesn't have the issue that some cars with proximity keyless entry systems have where washing the car will keep locking and unlocking the car when water runs over the door handles. :facepalm:

Sponsored

kboonekj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Rubicon
The biggest thing I miss about my 12 and 16 Grand Cherokees was the prox key fob. Ive seen the disagreement about how the fob works when the key leaves the vehicle and I can personally attest that the 2012 GC does not warn the driver that the fob has left the vehicle while its still on. You can drive any amount of miles and not know it until you try to start it up again. The 2016s would warn you that the fob left the vehicle, but when the battery was "dying" it would not warn you until after you shut the vehicle down. Best thing about the '12s was that you could pop off the push button and plug the key in.

With the Wranglers being such an offroad vehicle I would hope they have an override feature for when a key battery is dead, unlike the GCs.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest thing I miss about my 12 and 16 Grand Cherokees was the prox key fob. Ive seen the disagreement about how the fob works when the key leaves the vehicle and I can personally attest that the 2012 GC does not warn the driver that the fob has left the vehicle while its still on.
Interesting your 2012 didn't, our 2011 did, and it was an issue for the first 2 months because it would actually come on with the key in the driver's pocket with either brand new key. Had to get it serviced because of it, and it was a well known issue, see here;

Best thing about the '12s was that you could pop off the push button and plug the key in.
Yeah, the old school version definitely made it easier to ease people into it especially if they are not the principle drivers.
It is still available as one of the 3 options on the RAMs, it's unlikely they'll go that route with the Wrangler, but it would likely make it easier to ease people into it.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My TJ is still in the stone age compared to this new tech :) Curious, can thieves hack this technology somehow? Has it ever been done?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curious, can thieves hack this technology somehow? Has it ever been done?
They can get it with or without it. When the stakes are a $30K+ score, people are pretty motivated, whereas the car mfrs motivation to fix a problem for a car that's already sold is not equal to the motivation of the thieves, so they are lazy in fixing things.
But it's still easier to steal your TJ, so what can ya' do?

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2015-2016/car-theft

There was a bunch of Wrangler thefts in Houston last year, mislabeled as 'hacks' when what they were doing was using the OEM/dealer tool to program the key for the VIN. That method is covered in the CBC show as well as the second method, used to get into the Lexus at the 11 minute mark.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When that CBC program aired people were surprised and acted like they were the first to show it, but it's been investigated many times before, just hadn't been on a national TV news program, which made it more front & centre. However the thiefs sure enough will be watching everything on youtube and all the forums.

Best anti-theft deterent is to put something in a thief's way that slows them down enough to move on to another vehicle (kill switch or steering-wheel Club), but truly motivated thieves will just haul it up on a flat-bed and figure out your barrier in the safety of their site, so even those methodd aren't guaranted.

To stop the joyriders, a manual transmission, or even just putting the Wrangler's transfer case in Neutral will stump a lot of todays teens. :fingerscrossed:
Sponsored