Sponsored

Verified: Remote Proximity Keyless Entry & Push Button Start for JL / JLU Wrangler

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Verified: Remote Proximity Keyless Entry & Push Button Start

2018-JeepWrangler-Door-hinges-handles2-2.jpg

Ever since the spy photos of the 2018 JL Wrangler with camouflaged door handles, there has been much speculation about what secrets are hiding underneath.

Recently, the JLU was spotted with an exposed door handle (above) showing that it had been redesigned, so we dug deeper...

We can now share that the 2018 JL Wrangler will be available with Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.

Remote Proximity Keyless Entry.png

(Image from Grand Cherokee manual used for illustrative purposes only)

This means that there will be an option to lock/unlock the doors of the JL/JLU by touching the door handle as long as the key fob is close by.

The Remote Proximity Keyless Entry feature will also include:
  • Push button start (New for JL)
  • Remote Keyless Entry (already on JK)
  • Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System (already on JK)

So how will this work for the tailgate?

We speculate that the tailgate will feature a rubber-encased button that becomes "live" when the key fob is near, then pressed to unlock.

We don't expect there to be a "foot" motion unlock feature as seen on other SUVs/minivans, but we expect to possibly see this feature sometime in the JL generation's life cycle.
Sponsored

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Very useful! Keyless Entry definitely more useful than remote start and push button start. But nice to see we'll get them all.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU

We speculate that the tailgate will feature a rubber-encased button that becomes "live" when the key fob is near, then pressed to unlock.

We don't expect there to be a "foot" motion unlock feature as seen on other SUVs/minivans, but we expect to possibly see this feature sometime in the JL generation's life cycle.
It will be interesting to see how Jeep "handles" the tailgate. Will it be the same handle as the driver's door and maybe mounted horizontally? It seems having a pull-type handle on a tailgate would not feel as sturdy. I don't think I'd mind pull handles on the doors, but just seems weird for the tailgate. I think I'd prefer a more solid feeling handle on the tailgate.

Of course the whole design needs to work across multiple platforms: manual locks, power locks, and now proximity locks.

Last edited:

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
If they get rid of the push button on the door handles I would think they do for the tailgate too.

Will this come standard on Sahara or Rubicon?

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
Proximity keys are good for convenience but get ready to deal with driving away without the keys and unable to start again or not being able to find your keys after parking. I've had this happen with my wife's Audi several times. For the Jeep I bet we'll see plenty of people losing or unable to find their keys while off roading and the Jeep is still running. Once that engine gets turned off you're screwed.

Sponsored

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Proximity keys are good for convenience but get ready to deal with driving away without the keys and unable to start again or not being able to find your keys after parking. I've had this happen with my wife's Audi several times. For the Jeep I bet we'll see plenty of people losing or unable to find their keys while off roading and the Jeep is still running. Once that engine gets turned off you're screwed.
For cars that have keyless entry and startup there's a warning that pops up if your engine is running and the key fob gets to be a certain distance away from the car, to prevent you driving off without your key.

Glad they incorporated this. You don't realize how convenient it is until you have it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yeah, I guessed/hoped as much in the other thread when these photos first came out.

This will be great for those of us who put our keys in Ski Pants and backpacks. Love the feature on our Grand Cherokee and Cherokee, been waiting for it on the Wrangler for quite some time.

Hopefully the new fob will also increase the range as well, bot the GC and C can usually be started from at least 50+ft further away (can start them from my desk at work but must go the the stairwell window to start the Wrangler in the winter).

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you lose your keys and can start it at least you know they're nearby. If you lose your keys and don't have proximity open / push start then you don't even know if they are nearby or off in the woods or at your desk in the office or in the bathroom, etc. You aren't introducing more problems, you're adding a hint that they are at least nearby (range is much less than remote starting/locking).

As mentioned by AWD you'll get text and audio warning if you try to depart without your keys. Sometimes it'll warn me if I toss my skipants too far in the back of the Grand Cherokee.

Sound like your wife's Audi has a poor implementation if it causes that much trouble.

For most this makes life so much simpler when skiing, kayaking, hiking, etc so you can secure them in a protected location (tethered or waterproof) and not worry about transfering them all the time increasing the risk of loss.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I suspect like the Ram, GC, Cherokee and Durango, it'll be a lift handle instead of a pull handle with the same proximity button in those. This also gives the JL a good 'traditional' truck part that can be shared with a JT for it's tailgate, whereas something closer to the JK's is more out of place in a truck tailgate.

PS, Time to update The Render with the new handles. ;)

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As long as there's a Base model, that uses a key to unlock doors, start engine. I'm of the OPINION that a JL should offer a Base model that keeps it simple and Utilitarian. Safety Features ? Check. Comfort ? Check. Decent MPG ? Check. Fun Factor ? Check.
Electronic Systems that won't stand up to vibration, mud, water - in short ( no pun intended) non-Military Grade- that's asking for Trouble.
Be Careful What You Wish For.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Very likely these features will be an option as Remote Start is on the JK today.

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
Great news. JL is sounding better and better.

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
If you lose your keys and can start it at least you know they're nearby. If you lose your keys and don't have proximity open / push start then you don't even know if they are nearby or off in the woods or at your desk in the office or in the bathroom, etc. You aren't introducing more problems, you're adding a hint that they are at least nearby (range is much less than remote starting/locking).

As mentioned by AWD you'll get text and audio warning if you try to depart without your keys. Sometimes it'll warn me if I toss my skipants too far in the back of the Grand Cherokee.

Sound like your wife's Audi has a poor implementation if it causes that much trouble.

For most this makes life so much simpler when skiing, kayaking, hiking, etc so you can secure them in a protected location (tethered or waterproof) and not worry about transfering them all the time increasing the risk of loss.
Let me explain.

First, proximity keys/push button start actually make you more likely to lose your keys while driving since it obviously doesn't need to be inserted to the ignition. Imagine your keys slip out of your pocket either on or off road while your doors are removed. I'd bet this would happen more often than people think.

Even more likely, let's say you have a family that shares vehicles. Your wife/son/etc picks you up somewhere in the Jeep and then they get into the passenger seat while you take the wheel. You drive somewhere and drop them off. None of this requires taking the keys out of their pocket/jacket/bag/etc.

I agree all of this could be prevented with several warnings (assuming it works and you notice it), which for some inexplicable reason my wife's Audi has not done several times, leaving me to drive the car away after dropping her off (along with the keys) and not realizing it until I parked some 20-30 miles away.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
All of the proximity remote systems i've used work just fine and would not leave you stranded somewhere without the key fob. there's an added bonus of smaller fobs with a collapsible 'key' which the wrangler could definitely benefit from.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, proximity keys/push button start actually make you more likely to lose your keys while driving since it obviously doesn't need to be inserted to the ignition. Imagine your keys slip out of your pocket either on or off road while your doors are removed. I'd bet this would happen more often than people think.
First, the moment the keys go about 10' from the steering wheel you would get the visual/audbile alert, so you would know pretty much immediately.

Second, where are you putting your keys that is so easy to lose them, your short shorts from the 70s?

If you're driving with your doors off and have holes in your pockets, get some binder twine and tie them to yourself.

I'd bet this would happen less often than you make it seem.

Even more likely, let's say you have a family that shares vehicles. Your wife/son/etc picks you up somewhere in the Jeep and then they get into the passenger seat while you take the wheel. You drive somewhere and drop them off. None of this requires taking the keys out of their pocket/jacket/bag/etc.
Are they falling into a transdimensional hole? The moment they leave the vehicle you get a warning, if you ignore that, then that's on you. Now if you turn off the vehicle and part ways without asking for your keys back, yeah it can happen, just like if they drive there, and you just forget to swap physical keys currently.

Take some personal responsability, auto mfrs shouldn't be forced to limit options to the least capable of the herd.

Anyone who finds key management too difficult shouldn't be allowed on the road, for the safety of everyone else.
Sponsored