Daylight Running Lights in Uconnect

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The DRL settings are absolutely a regional thing. IE in the Canada edirion you can not disable the DRLs.

Tazer *may* be able to help you do what you want... (but that might also be illegal in your area.)
Sponsored

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
I read this thread because of experiences I have had. My JL is black and IMO, it "looks" much better going down the road with just the halo lights and no fender lights. Shortly after turning off the fender lights I had 2 different incidents of idiots pulling out in front of me. I turned the fender lights back on and have had no other issues.
1. The fender lights are very bright
2. Black Jeeps are the same color as the asphalt road??

OP
OP
kculp

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I read this thread because of experiences I have had. My JL is black and IMO, it "looks" much better going down the road with just the halo lights and no fender lights. Shortly after turning off the fender lights I had 2 different incidents of idiots pulling out in front of me. I turned the fender lights back on and have had no other issues.
1. The fender lights are very bright
2. Black Jeeps are the same color as the asphalt road??
Hi Scott
How do you turn off just the fender lights? I can't seem to get that choice. Do you leave your headlamps on auto? Thanks.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hi Scott
How do you turn off just the fender lights? I can't seem to get that choice. Do you leave your headlamps on auto? Thanks.
You turn off the DRL's. The halo DRL in the headlamp itself cannot be turned off.

Well, now I'm confused. You're the OP who posted how to do it.

OP
OP
kculp

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
You turn off the DRL's. The halo DRL in the headlamp itself cannot be turned off.

Well, now I'm confused. You're the OP who posted how to do it.
I posted that some time ago and haven't played with it much... they should edit that menu item in the uConnect to say "fender DRL" as it would make more sense.

Sponsored

Judeeduj

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara JLU
Hey @Rhinebeck01

Cheers for that dude, looks like the Taser JL is my only option but the minute I plug that into the car, my 5 warranty becomes void!

I must say; the product is sheer beauty, Im probable gonna purchase it after a couple of years or so...

On a side note, I also took the car to the dealer and yes we connected the FCA obd2 to test out the DRL Halo through the legit security gateway module and there is no DRL halo option at all.

However we noticed that on the headlamp fuse board there are 2 dummy plugs and that could be the halo fuse. Also on the vehicle Mod specs there are 2 headlamp exports options for additional Lamp properties that could possible be the case of getting them to work.

I really appreciate all the help @LoganDzwon, @kculp & @Rhinebeck01 ; thank you so much guys.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Hey @Rhinebeck01

Cheers for that dude, looks like the Taser JL is my only option but the minute I plug that into the car, my 5 warranty becomes void!

I must say; the product is sheer beauty, Im probable gonna purchase it after a couple of years or so...

On a side note, I also took the car to the dealer and yes we connected the FCA obd2 to test out the DRL Halo through the legit security gateway module and there is no DRL halo option at all.

However we noticed that on the headlamp fuse board there are 2 dummy plugs and that could be the halo fuse. Also on the vehicle Mod specs there are 2 headlamp exports options for additional Lamp properties that could possible be the case of getting them to work.

I really appreciate all the help @LoganDzwon, @kculp & @Rhinebeck01 ; thank you so much guys.
That's not how warranties work.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
That's not how warranties work.

I was actually told from my dealer that an aftermarket flsh like tazer coupd void the warranty because chrysler can go back and track what has been done to the car computer. You’re saying that’s not true?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@tonythehomie

I'll tell you all that I know in regard to this. Keep in mind that I am going by what I have been told in multiple conversations with dealership techs, by internet search info, etc. My wording may be flawed but the info below will give you the gist of things lets say.. 8-)

Definition of BCM:
The automotive central body control module (BCM) is a processor-based power distribution center that supervises and controls functions related to the car body such as lights, windows, security, door locks and access control, and various comfort controls.
----------------

The TazerJL, Tazer JL Lite, Tazer JL Mini and Flashcal all write to the BCM. Each programmer, does it the same way that the dealership's Chrysler Witech POD Micropod II Tool does.

The BCM uses flash counter's ....There are individual flash counter's for each of the features, etc. that the programmer can say disable, enable, change..

In regard to these counter's... Lets just say, the JL leaving the factory is showing 1 for each counter in regard to the dozen or so configurations.
-----

So, the JL is shipped to the dealership and is sold.

The dealer sells the JL.

Now, the new JL owner installs larger size tires and goes to the dealership service department wanting the speedometer corrected. Dealer takes the JL owner's $100+, and using the Witech tool, programs for the larger tire size and the speedometer is now accurate.

As a result of this tire size programming, the counter that keeps track of the tire circumference value, changes from 1 to 2.

--- So, as you see counter's come into use.

Tidbits:

Apparently, there is no lets call it.... tag, ear mark or identifiable signature, etc., of what was written exactly, and by whom.

All the dealership tech can see with his Witech tool is that the BCM was updated x amount of times... counter(s) changed..

Again, to repeat, from what I have been told by three different, dealership techs, the dealership's Witech tool, does not show a history or what programmer or what specific dealer, etc. did programming on the JL. All that is available in regard to history, is a flash counter for each configuration.

Also, if your dealer does lets say, a flash update on your JL per recommendation of FCA (say for all 2018 JL's) the counter's change.

With the preceding info in mind, the likeliness of the service department tech, taking the time and effort to dig deep, to ascertain if a counter was changed, what setting it was, and then to look up the vehicle history to see if it was dealer-authorized, is well very time consuming and not something the tech would routinely do. Sure, he could do it, but.. it is not is very likely he will."

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tonythehomie

I'll tell you all that I know in regard to this. Keep in mind that I am going by what I have been told in multiple conversations with dealership techs, by internet search info, etc. My wording may be flawed but the info below will give you the gist of things lets say.. 8-)

Definition of BCM:
The automotive central body control module (BCM) is a processor-based power distribution center that supervises and controls functions related to the car body such as lights, windows, security, door locks and access control, and various comfort controls.
----------------

The TazerJL, Tazer JL Lite, Tazer JL Mini and Flashcal all write to the BCM. Each programmer, does it the same way that the dealership's Chrysler Witech POD Micropod II Tool does.

The BCM uses flash counter's ....There are individual flash counter's for each of the features, etc. that the programmer can say disable, enable, change..

In regard to these counter's... Lets just say, the JL leaving the factory is showing 1 for each counter in regard to the dozen or so configurations.
-----

So, the JL is shipped to the dealership and is sold.

The dealer sells the JL.

Now, the new JL owner installs larger size tires and goes to the dealership service department wanting the speedometer corrected. Dealer takes the JL owner's $100+, and using the Witech tool, programs for the larger tire size and the speedometer is now accurate.

As a result of this tire size programming, the counter that keeps track of the tire circumference value, changes from 1 to 2.

--- So, as you see counter's come into use.

Tidbits:

Apparently, there is no lets call it.... tag, ear mark or identifiable signature, etc., of what was written exactly, and by whom.

All the dealership tech can see with his Witech tool is that the BCM was updated x amount of times... counter(s) changed..

Again, to repeat, from what I have been told by three different, dealership techs, the dealership's Witech tool, does not show a history or what programmer or what specific dealer, etc. did programming on the JL. All that is available in regard to history, is a flash counter for each configuration.

Also, if your dealer does lets say, a flash update on your JL per recommendation of FCA (say for all 2018 JL's) the counter's change.

With the preceding info in mind, the likeliness of the service department tech, taking the time and effort to dig deep, to ascertain if a counter was changed, what setting it was, and then to look up the vehicle history to see if it was dealer-authorized, is well very time consuming and not something the tech would routinely do. Sure, he could do it, but.. it is not is very likely he will."

This is insightful, thank you!

The conversation I had with the service manager actually came up when I was asking him to flash my sport to accept the LED bulbs that I will be installing so that I don’t have to use resistors. He said “there’s no option for us to do this” and then I asked him about running a tazer unit on it and he mentioned that it can void the warranty if there is ever a major problem that occurs they can track the history. Obviously you are disagreeing with him, but towards the end of your post it sounds like you are saying it is still possible just that its a fairly involved process. With that said, do you really think if there is ever a major issue with the jeep down the line (i have a lifetime warranty through branhaven in CT) that they won’t try to find any and every reason to disqualify my warranty?

I definitely agree with you that it is unlikely, but i think in the end if there is still a possibility, no matter how miniscule, it might not be worth it until at least after the bumper to bumper warranty is up because i feel like the manufacturer is much more likely to go through every single procees possible to disqualify the owner for warranty.

I could also just be paranoid...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tonythehomie

Well, indeed if the dealership is on a mission so to speak, and wants to devote the time and research to ascertain that your counters were changed by a programmer (tool) not at a dealership.... well, sure guess they could. Chances that they would do this are few...very few.

Can tell you many JL owner's have the Tazer JL and there are those that have the Flashcal. I'd say a majority of these guys have taken their JL to the dealership (me included) service department after unmarrying a programmer and uninstalling the program hardware. To my knowledge no one has been faced with the dealership saying that they had used a non-dealership WiTech ll on their JL.

In closing, do your internet homework and do what works for you. I'm not here to convince you.. 8-)

By the way, I do believe if anyone is going to get zeroed in on, so to speak by the dealership/FCA are the JL guys, that do the pcm swaps and the companion/associated tunes. As I said, what the Tazer JL and Flashcal does is lets say very tame.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tonythehomie

By the way... When a dealer is head hunting, out to get you, not mod friendly, etc. they will pile on to you in regard to what they can find the easiest way.

As I mentioned there is no easy way, / non time consuming way, for the dealership to ascertain whether a non dealership programming tool was used on the vehicle..

Oh, easy way for dealer is if the vehicle owner volunteers or admits to ...... xxxxx.

Anyway, wise Jeep guy that mods his vehicle is doing himself a favor if he asks around .... asks local guys with modded vehicles, ask the local Jeep Club, etc. what dealer(s) in the area are mod friendly. What dealership in the area is known or not know to fruck with a guy/gal that does mods on their vehicle. After such asking around, THEN decide on what dealer to use.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@tonythehomie

Well, indeed if the dealership is on a mission so to speak, and wants to devote the time and research to ascertain that your counters were changed by a programmer (tool) not at a dealership.... well, sure guess they could. Chances that they would do this are few...very few.

Can tell you many JL owner's have the Tazer JL and there are those that have the Flashcal. I'd say a majority of these guys have taken their JL to the dealership (me included) service department after unmarrying a programmer and uninstalling the program hardware. To my knowledge no one has been faced with the dealership saying that they had used a non-dealership WiTech ll on their JL.

In closing, do your internet homework and do what works for you. I'm not here to convince you.. 8-)

By the way, I do believe if anyone is going to get zeroed in on, so to speak by the dealership/FCA are the JL guys, that do the pcm swaps and the companion/associated tunes. As I said, what the Tazer JL and Flashcal does is lets say very tame.

No I have to say, you definitely made me feel a hell of a lot better about it and I appreciate you taking the time to formulate a well thought out post. I plan on putting bigger tires on eventually and it would make sense for me to buy one so that I don’t have to keep taking it to the dealership every time I want to change something.

It was a long wait for my jeep two come and I just picked it up on Saturday, maybe after I get the forst few scratches in it I’ll pick one up! Haha

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Also your dealership is just lying to you about them not being able to change your settings to LED. They just don't know what they're doing.

RafisOffRoad

First Name
Rafa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Overland MY19
This is if you have LED lighting package ... But not sure....

Go to Uconnect. Under settings (it's buried in the menu and you may need to scroll down). You can only get to settings ACTIVE by putting the start button in Run mode (keep pressing its after accessory mode), you don't need to actually start the engine.

It's a bit tricky!

You can set the lights to remain on 30 seconds after ignition is killed, or longer.

You can play with the DRL checkbox or if you want just the halo DRL without fender lights.

11DBD32E-8444-481B-A558-46E313E81190.jpeg

D79A8270-1C09-4717-BAD7-3F66273EF7EE.jpeg
hello my case in particular is that only my lights illuminate the fin and the halo does not and on the display of the uconnect I do not see the option of the DRL
Sponsored