Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Flowmaster muffler delete pipe on my JL for a bit. It was a little too harsh for me. My wife HATED it. I pulled it off and put the AFE Rockbasher 3" cat back exhaust. Sounds quite a bit better.
Was it the Flowmaster American Thunder and if so what did you not like about it ?
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Was it the Flowmaster American Thunder and if so what did you not like about it ?
Yes, the single pipe. It sounded about the same as just dropping the muffler. Sounded like a ricer.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, the single pipe. It sounded about the same as just dropping the muffler. Sounded like a ricer.
Well that’s gonna leave me out, I want a more aggressive sound with no drone so guessing that means gotta spend more $$$$

Atl_rubicon

First Name
Ezio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL350
Jamesmcga is 110% dead on point relating to torque loss. I’m running an AFE RB system and sounds amazing, it also gave it a bit bitter throttle response and perhaps some HP. It definitely changed the power band as well. Torque and mpg were indeed affected, especially in the highway traveling at lower RPM’s. The free flow kills torque. Believe me I tried it. Ran AFE and stock and back to AFE. The loss in tq is there. I drive a manual too so I can adjust the shifting to compensate for the torque loss. Sadly I’m going back to oem muffler. Please visit me on Instagram “atl_rubicon” for some Off Road pics and videos.

Sponsored

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent here.

I recently installed the flowmaster muffler delete pipe.

I have received multiple compliments.

It is louder but I have had no drone.

1) The pentastar is a dual overhead cam V6.

Sorry guys but it is always going to sound like a ricer.

Doing an "axle back" or "muffler delete" or muffler swap won't change the fact that it's never gonna sound like a hemi.

You can argue volume levels but that's about it.

2) To believe that a muffler delete will cause any noticeable change in torque or mileage is ridiculous.

If you straight piped the entire exhaust than it would make some difference in both.

But as long as you keep the two large cats and the bullet muffler/resonator upstream of the axle you won't have any measureable changes.

My first mpg (hand calculated) was 20.2. That is a mix of rural two lane and interstate driving.

Following two were 20.4 and 19.7.

After delete pipe was installed I got 22.1 and 21.5.

Did the muffler delete give me the increase? No, it's just the motor breaking in.

The guys who claim 15 hp and 2 mpg from a muffler delete are just as bad as the "my jeep lost power" guys.

All the muffler delete does is get rid of that trashy galvanized garbage can hanging off the back, give it a nicer (albeit louder, especially over 3500 rpms) sound, and gives you a more ground clearance should you need it.

All for the princely sum of 119 dollars delivered and 1 hour under the jeep.

Last edited:

emart45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I guess I will be the lone voice of dissent here.

I recently installed the flowmaster muffler delete pipe.

I have received multiple compliments.

It is louder but I have had no drone.

1) The pentastar is a dual overhead came V6. Sorry guys but it is always going to sound like a ricer.

Doing an "axle back" or "muffler delete" or muffler swap won't change the fact that it's never gonna sound like a hemi.

You can argue volume levels but that's about it.

2) To believe that a muffler delete will cause any noticeable change in torque or mileage is ridiculous.

If you straight piped the entire exhaust than it would make some difference in both.

But as long as you keep the two large cats and the bullet muffler/resonator upstream of the axle you won't have any measureable changes.

My first mpg (hand calculated) was 20.2. That is a mix of rural two lane and interstate driving.

Following two were 20.4 and 19.7.

After delete pipe was installed I got 22.1 and 21.5.

Did the muffler delete give me the increase? No, it's just the motor breaking in.

The guys who claim 15 hp and 2 mpg from a muffler delete are just as bad as the "my jeep lost power" guys.

All the muffler delete does is get rid of that trashy galvanized garbage can hanging off the back, give it a nicer (albeit louder, especially over 3500 rpms) sound, and gives you a more ground clearance should you need it.

All for the princely sum of 119 dollars delivered and 1 hour under the jeep.
What was the part number of the pipe? Assuming this was a pretty easy install?

Can you share a video/sound clip of the current sound?

Thanks!

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Christ that's loud and droney. Wish they could make the entire axle back a muffler.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Thanx for the time and effort to record that installation, but-

It reminds me of high school boys driving by in their modified HONDA'S --

As much as I appreciate FLOWMASTER (I do a lot) that's a complete WASTE OF MONEY !!!

W.E.

JIMBO

jeepnjam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Thanx for the time and effort to record that installation, but-

It reminds me of high school boys driving by in their modified HONDA'S --

As much as I appreciate FLOWMASTER (I do a lot) that's a complete WASTE OF MONEY !!!

W.E.

JIMBO

I completely disagree. For $119 you get a pipe that is mandrel bent specifically to fit your Jeep with a nice polished tip welded on - a muffler shop would charge more than that to make. When combined with the K&N CAI, there is improved horsepower and I have noticed no loss of torque. It also creates additional ground clearance and cuts weight getting rid of that bulky stock muffler. Yes, above 3,500 rpms it can get loud but that only happens when you intentionally want it too. How many times are you sustaining that kind of rpm going down the highway? Under 3,500 the note is very mellow and it doesn't drone in the cabin - even with a soft top and I have the 2 door model. All this with less than an hour worth of work...

From my viewpoint, it could very well be said that any money spent in excess of $119 to modify the JL exhaust is a waste money! We can argue over tone all day long - its a matter of preference at the end of the day. From a performance standpoint - I would bet there is not a statistical difference between the performance gains between brands: flowmaster, borla, magnaflow, aFe, etc.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Well said and if you're happy with it---way to go

I have FM "10" on my RAM and had 10's on my '08 JKUR/Ford Ranger, but thats not what I want on my JL 2dr--

Have a great day

JIMBO

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
The JL left bank exhaust pipe has an unnecessary loop before joining the right bank pipe. I interrupt this as tuning for pressure pulsations. This would help the efficiency, thusly sound different than the JK.

MDG

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
The JL left bank exhaust pipe has an unnecessary loop before joining the right bank pipe. I interrupt this as tuning for pressure pulsations. This would help the efficiency, thusly sound different than the JK.
If I'm not mistaken the JK had this as well. That being the case that would not account for how JL and JK sound different.
Sponsored