How is the starter holding up?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I believe that the JL has a more robust/durable starter because of ESS. I usually don't turn off ESS on my daily commute to work. I get two stop lights before I get to the free way and two more stop lights after the exit to my office.
But how is the starter holding up? No issues for anyone so far. I know ESS has some bugs, but my question is on the actual starter.
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The ESS system does not cause starter issues I have a BMW and Range Rover both have ESS zero issues the BMW now has 75k miles
Zero issues.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
But how is the starter holding up? No issues for anyone so far. I know ESS has some bugs, but my question is on the actual starter.
Not sure if you're referring to the 2.0L or the 3.6L V6, but for this discussion I'll presume the 2.0L.The 2.0L uses the starter for initial start only, after that the 48v motor/generator handles the start-stop functions so no extra starter wear on these engines. A great explanation of the mild-hybrid system can be seen here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGoh4Yhnxo

If you are referring to the 3.6L... haven't a clue.

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I believe that the JL has a more robust/durable starter because of ESS. I usually don't turn off ESS on my daily commute to work. I get two stop lights before I get to the free way and two more stop lights after the exit to my office.
I've had ESS on my Saturn Vue hybrid for 11 years and 120k miles. Probably the single worst hybrid ever made.
The ESS is flawless and has been absolutely reliable.
I'm sure the FCA build is better.
I actually like it now. Here in Southern California with traffic the quiet is appreciated.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
The engine and starter (V6) is much more buffed up for the ESS. I watched the introduction of the Jeep and they interviewed the head designer and he talked about it. They have to beef the engine up to allow it to get oil pressure super FAST because the second you let your foot off the brake you are then engaging the throttle and off you go. Also the starter is beefed up as well to handle WAY more start cycles. It's an interesting system all in all.

There's also may reasons it won't engage; gear in park, steep hill, engine warm up, cabin warm up or cool down, light brake pedal, quick stop and go, seatbelt off, 4H or 4L, or when at one of those obnoxious super long lights it will start back up on its own. I think the max is like 90 seconds which is industry standard. Like I said - a lot of general articles about ESS that apply to all vehicles is out there. Saw one YouTube video by JeepInformant that talked briefly about it but one of those two large push switch buttons that stick up in the front left* of the engine compartment is for the ESS. But most I've experienced on the Jeep as this is a first for me. And if you want to see why it's not engaged then flip the middle dash cluster display to Start/Stop and it will tell you.

Al in in I like it as it's not intrusive whatsoever that I've experienced. Just different because we are all programmed to think "PROBLEM" if the engine were to ever suddenly die in a car. Plus there's an "easy off"switch on the dash and a company makes a permanent off thing off thing for it.

* When I was young it took me forever to learn what left and right meant in a vehicle when looking at the engine compartment from the front. Ha ha!

Sponsored

RERAIL

First Name
Kell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
A couple of days ago, I put my JLU into 4H to see if ESS would cut off the engine. I came to a stop and the engine cut out. I’ll give it another try just to be sure. Other than that, the ESS performs as you described. After two months, I’m getting more comfortable with ESS.

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
The engine and starter (V6) is much more buffed up for the ESS. I watched the introduction of the Jeep and they interviewed the head designer and he talked about it. They have to beef the engine up to allow it to get oil pressure super FAST because the second you let your foot off the brake you are then engaging the throttle and off you go. Also the starter is beefed up as well to handle WAY more start cycles. It's an interesting system all in all.
Thanks for the very educational post. I have a manual transmission so the ESS is activated by slightly pressing the clutch. In my case I don't move immediately after ESS starts the engine. :)

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
You are probably a tad bit premature in asking that question, no one has had a JL long enough for the ESS to cause starter issues.
I know. But I am thinking it is the same starter as in Jeep Grand Cherokee and if some also have a JGC, it might be the same use case.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Perhaps a better question to ask is how often starters fail nowadays on ANY vehicle, whether in warranty or out. I've replaced one in my 50 years of driving, and that was on a 20-year-old Chevy with 200K miles on it.
Sponsored