Sponsored

How are your seats holding up?

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I have every option picked out for a new Rubicon except for cloth or leather seats. I like leather better in pretty much every way, but for some reason cloth in a Rubicon seems natural. It's almost like leather feels too upscale for a "hardcore off-road" vehicle. For those with cloth, are the arm rests and center console comfortable or would you rather have had the leather options there? Mine will be a daily driver but will still see mud, sand, and snow on occasion. I'll take the freedom panels off a lot, but the top and doors will almost never come off.

How have your seats held up so far? Wear, discoloration, staining, and ease of cleaning are my biggest concerns. If you could do it all over again what would you choose?
Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
My leather seats have held up quite well... ... and I'm a great big asshole. Just ask The Old People.:blush:

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
I’m really not impressed by the fit and finish of the leather seats on the JL. For a 50k vehicle, it’s not acceptable. Still have an open case with FCA to deal with mine.

My honest recommendation is to stop by a dealership, and check out their pre-owed wranglers. Sit inside, see if you can live with that level of fit and finish, with wear and tear. Once you figure out which you’d be more comfortable with, check that box on your order.

Also, seat covers. Plenty of good seat covers available online.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Pleasantly surprised w/ the comfort & durability of the base cloth Sport seats. Never tired or achy after long 8+hr drives, and we're old!

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I went with cloth and they are only 2 months old so long term I couldn't tell you. But I went with cloth as leather gets HOT when you run topless.

Sponsored

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Cloth was all they had on the lot in my price range/trim level, and so far I'm happy enough with them. They're comfortable and fairly rugged. I did pay for the protection package that saw them get doused in scotchguard or whatever, but overall they've held well, aside from some mystery dark spot that's appeared on the passenger seat (source unknown, I usually ride solo or with the dog, and she sticks to the back). I would like to have leather added, but I never leave the top completely behind - I'll put it up into safari mode when parked so the birds don't make a target of the interior. So, the risk of leather roasting my skin will hopefully be pretty nil.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Leather gets really hot in the sun but are easier to wipe clean. Will kids or a dog ever be in the JL? Leather will be better for spills and hair. I had cloth in my '19JLR and they held up well. They do get dusty. I found lint rollers work better than a vacuum cleaner. I had to detail my JLR before selling it and the cloth seats looked like new after a few minutes with a good lint roller and vacuum.

Early on some people had issues with the seats not returning back to the regular position after sliding forward. I had to have the seat bottom replaced early on because it was making noise. The plastic levers that tilt the seat backs are know to be fragile and break. Hopefully these issues have been addressed with the newer generation.

Take a look at a few used '18-'19 JLs and their seats to see if you think they hold up to your expectations.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 jlur with 60 k miles and tan leather seats. Leather has been holding up well and has not been too hot with top off in Michigan summer sun (may be a factor).
I have seen that some in past models that are 2 doors would fold thetr seats forward to help shield the sun, but this is not possible on a 4 door model.

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
2020 Rubicon with leather and 77,000 miles, holding up fine. A thicker better leather then what came with my C5 and C6 Corvettes. The only way I would buy one without leather if it was not offered.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I wish they offered a vinyl option. I like the ease of wiping off leather but a good quality vinyl in a convertible is just so easy to maintain.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP, just get the leather since you really want it. It's sounding like it's a non-issue. You can always cover them with Katskins in the future if they wear too much for your taste. Or order the cloth seats and cover them with Katskins. There are a lot of options with Katskins.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish they offered a vinyl option. I like the ease of wiping off leather but a good quality vinyl in a convertible is just so easy to maintain.
This is where competition might help improve the end porduct for us consumers. The Bronco offers a Marine Grade Vinyl option. Maybe Jeep will follow?

Last edited:

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I prefer leather over cloth. I'll get cloth seats stained one way or the other. Cloth may be cooler in summer and I live in Louisiana. But, I like the looks and feel of leather.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think it’s funny that people think of leather as not being rugged. Ever seen a western saddle? A bomber jacket? Maybe you just have to be of a certain age.

leather is actually more rugged than cloth. It is very sturdy and just wipes clean. I don’t have it because cloth does better in the heat with the top down. But i think leather is very appropriate for a rugged vehicle.

i had a sport for 3 years and 50,000 miles. The cloth seats held up fine but got pretty ragged looking with all the trails dust and dirt i subjected them too. This time i did cloth again but added Bartact seat covers.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

18 sport with cloth seats. they have held up pretty good. i only have 18K miles on mine rig so far but i do my best to keep things out of my pockets. ( this is number one thing that destroys seats) Including i do not sit on my wallet ever! ( mostly because i like my back to not hurt) LOL I also use a can of auto Scotchgarde once a year on the seats to help keep them from staining with water or coffee. if it drips while wheeling.
Sponsored