Sponsored

Rubicon having issue going up the same terrain while sport easily went up

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I believe that to be incorrect.The tazerjl does not have a feature to engage the lockers but a feature to say you have lockers.

For example, If you don't have lockers and then purchase them separately the tazerjl will let you turn on the locker feature so you can use the locker buttons as intended.
Do Sports and Saharas come with "locker buttons"? I'd think you'd have to buy the switches from Jeep and install them in the dash....even then though, why? If you're going aftermarket pneumatics, I'd HIGHLY recommend a pneumatic "air" switch over electrics anyway....way more reliable, simpler, less likely to break.
Sponsored

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
Our JLUR is sitting on 37s with no lift and at street pressure we have less than 16" at the frame rails of clearance. If you're running trails that you're afraid of rolling with that little clearance, I'd be really....really surprised. This thing is a belly dragging son of a bitch.
hows the shifting on the 37's is your an auto trans I've ordered a 6 speed and was maybe going 38's no regear just yet

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
hows the shifting on the 37's is your an auto trans I've ordered a 6 speed and was maybe going 38's no regear just yet
Auto....it's fine actually. I'm actually really surprised. I think with 4.88s or 5.13s it would actually be really peppy. We may do that at a later date....after wheeling it for the first time on a somewhat difficult trail, the wife wants me to build her a buggy instead, so this one may get a little more tame on the build side now that she's making that decision.

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
Auto....it's fine actually. I'm actually really surprised. I think with 4.88s or 5.13s it would actually be really peppy. We may do that at a later date....after wheeling it for the first time on a somewhat difficult trail, the wife wants me to build her a buggy instead, so this one may get a little more tame on the build side now that she's making that decision.
Nice thank you for your reply

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We went 6speed and 37s. Ordering 5.13 gears for it. Jeep should be built any day and there’s a pile of parts waiting. It’s going straight from the Trailer to the lift for all the goodies. It should improve the drivability and give it some nuts on the highway

Brett

Sponsored

Lord-Maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jk
We went 6speed and 37s. Ordering 5.13 gears for it. Jeep should be built any day and there’s a pile of parts waiting. It’s going straight from the Trailer to the lift for all the goodies. It should improve the drivability and give it some nuts on the highway

Brett
Nice be sure to share thanks

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
I think sport is 400 pounds lighter than rubicon
And where did you get that idea? So explain to me what on EARTH on a Rubicon would weight 400lbs more than a sport? Do you even know what the difference in the Rubicon is? Axles, brakes and T-case are the only real difference. Maybe and I mean MAYBE 100lbs heavier but 400lbs? That's just stupid silly.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Higher center of gravity on the Rubicon too. There are plenty of trails around me where you'd rather have a narrower vehicle and lower center of gravity than locking diffs and more ground clearance. Lockers don't help when you are flipped over.
God, this thread is so full of sh!t. Ok genius explain to me why a Rubicon would have a higher center of gravity than a sport? What are the differences between the Rubi and the sport. Beefier axles, definitely weight a little more, bigger brakes, bigger tires, sure...but those are all unsprung weight and on the ground. Transfer case might be a few pounds heavier but not much and at any rate, it's pretty low to the ground as well. Sooooooo, if ANYTHING, the rubicon would have a lower center of gravity than the sport so yet again another reason why it's better than the sport.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do Sports and Saharas come with "locker buttons"? I'd think you'd have to buy the switches from Jeep and install them in the dash....even then though, why? If you're going aftermarket pneumatics, I'd HIGHLY recommend a pneumatic "air" switch over electrics anyway....way more reliable, simpler, less likely to break.
Really? I've never known anyone with ARB air lockers that didn't at some point have issues with the air lines, pump etc and couldnt get their lockers to engage. I've never had a failure from a Rubicon electric locker in the last 7 years.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4.88's would be overkill. 4.56 would be about right, but honestly why regear? Even with 37's mine will still hit 60mph in right at 8 secs. There is very little difference between the stock tire size and 37's performance wise. The tranny just uses the lower first and second gears for longer to make up for it.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes adding the locker check to a non rubicon is just one example. You could also have a rubicon and replace your electric lockers with air lockers and then use the tazerjl to remove the electric locker checking. Basically the tazerjl locker on/off is useless. If the tazer JL would let you engage/disengage your rubicon lockers in 2h or 4h then that would be really cool.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes adding the locker check to a non rubicon is just one example. You could also have a rubicon and replace your electric lockers with air lockers and then use the tazerjl to remove the electric locker checking. Basically the tazerjl locker on/off is useless. If the tazer JL would let you engage/disengage your rubicon lockers in 2h or 4h then that would be really cool.
The reality is that hey, it seems cool, but how useful is it? I had a TrailDash 2 on my 2012 JK and it allowed me to engage my lockers at any time or either mode. How often did I use it? Despite logging 3500 offroad miles over a period of 5 years, I never once utilized that function. Why? You pretty much are never going to need lockers over 20mph for one thing. The other thing is that when I pull off the pavement and am on anything other than a dirt road, I put it in 4-low. You have more low end torque when needed and honestly unless you are on level ground in snow or mud it makes little sense to use 4 high. If it's really deep snow or mud you are going to want 4 low. If you are in really hilly terrain, you want 4 low. Even if I'm running down a river bed, I'm usually in 4 low and not going more than 20mph because anything else leaves you too little time to react. Ever tried to climb a steep hill in 4 hi? There is always some clown in a group that thinks he's somehow a better driver if he can run a trail in 4 hi, when everyone else is in 4 hi and in reality he just shows how little he knows how to drive...

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
And where did you get that idea? So explain to me what on EARTH on a Rubicon would weight 400lbs more than a sport? Do you even know what the difference in the Rubicon is? Axles, brakes and T-case are the only real difference. Maybe and I mean MAYBE 100lbs heavier but 400lbs? That's just stupid silly.
He probably got it from this forum. Rubicon curb weight is 375 pounds heavier than a Sport:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-weight-tow-capacity-max-payload-specs.1440/

Bigger axles are heavy, beefier brakes/suspension are heavy, tires are much heavier, sliders are heavy, lockers are heavy, etc.