Remote start JLU standard transmission

mark_chlebus

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
has ANYONE had a remote start system installed in their JLU with a manual transmission? I paid for remote start when I bought my JL in June and according to the dealership, they’re still waiting on a module that allows them to have a remote start system installed. I know some people are sketched out by remote starters on a manual transmission and I’m not wanting to debate that, just want to know if anyone has been successful in getting one installed.
Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
From what I have heard/read, you can’t get a remote start from dealer with a manual transmission. But I know there are ways around that with older vehicles that were manual by using aftermarket remote start systems. Not sure how it would work with canbus and all the technology on newer vehicles but if it can be done, my guess is some of the major companies such as compustar, viper, python, etc would be the ones to make a kit for it. Surprised the dealer charged you for it when the mopar remote start indicates that it does not work on manual transmissions.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
I'm betting the OP's "remote start" add-on package that he purchased from his dealer was aftermarket, and NOT Mopar. As Dubeau9005 stated, the Mopar kits specifically state that they will not function on a manual-transmission car.

The dealer is probably waiting for the aftermarket company with whom they contract to tell them they've figured out a hack for a manual transmission.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
It's easily doable aftermarket as we looked into it as we were a bit miffed we didn't get remote start even though we'd paid for it in the cold weather group.
But after thinking about it we've decided against as hand brakes have a habit of sticking in cold weather and we'd have to use that instead of leaving it in gear if we had remote start.
It gets down to -40 here so it's not a risk I'm willing to experiment with.

Sponsored

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Remote start on a manual; what could go wrong? :cwl:
Actually, quite safe if done correctly. Usually a sequence you have to do prior to shutting down the vehicle to enable the remote start. And if doors get opened before you use the remote start next time, it disables it to make sure no one accidentally knocked it into gear or that. I had one in my Subaru a few years ago and was great. Only downside was when you ran out to your car for something quickly late at night and forgot about remote start. Would make for a frustrating time the next morning when you realized it.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It's easily doable aftermarket as we looked into it as we were a bit miffed we didn't get remote start even though we'd paid for it in the cold weather group.
But after thinking about it we've decided against as hand brakes have a habit of sticking in cold weather and we'd have to use that instead of leaving it in gear if we had remote start.
It gets down to -40 here so it's not a risk I'm willing to experiment with.
You actually didn’t pay for it. The cold weather package is cheaper with a manual transmission for this very reason.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
You actually didn’t pay for it. The cold weather package is cheaper with a manual transmission for this very reason.
Never realized that...

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Obviously you'd have to always park the vehicle with the trans. in neutral so that the module could get a signal from the neutral safety switch and allow a start. And obviously this means that the only thing holding your vehicle in place is the parking brake, which is notorious for failure and for not having the strength to actually hold the Jeep stationary.

So yeah, remote start on a manual trans. vehicle is a huge safety liability and that's why Mopar doesn't and won't ever offer one.

I've heard of one or two guys getting it successfully done on Ram pickup trucks but it took a lot of work and quite a few aftermarket goodies to get it to function.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Seriously, unless you are OCD about putting the parking brake on and leaving it in neutral (which I think is a bad idea), putting a remote start on a vehicle is not a good idea at all. Alot could go wrong.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Years ago I installed a remote start system in my 2002 Nissan Altima (5-speed) because I didn't have a garage at the time and really wanted to be able to remote start it on cold mornings, and of course no business would install it for me because of perceived liability.

I wired it in such a way that it would only engage the starter if it was in neutral and the parking brake was engaged (just took a couple of relays), but I really only left it that way when it was in my driveway (pretty much perfectly flat). Most other times I left it in gear, so the remote start wouldn't work anyway so no real safety issue - at least as far as I was concerned.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Years ago I installed a remote start system in my 2002 Nissan Altima (5-speed) because I didn't have a garage at the time and really wanted to be able to remote start it on cold mornings, and of course no business would install it for me because of perceived liability.

I wired it in such a way that it would only engage the starter if it was in neutral and the parking brake was engaged (just took a couple of relays), but I really only left it that way when it was in my driveway (pretty much perfectly flat). Most other times I left it in gear, so the remote start wouldn't work anyway so no real safety issue - at least as far as I was concerned.
Cuz relays never fail/malfunction.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Cuz relays never fail/malfunction.
Good point! I tried to be smart about it and wire them in a fail-safe way so the N.O. relays had to close for the starter to engage, but I suppose there was a potential for problems.

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
I have a manual transmission on order and am wondering what aftermarket remote start systems people have put on their manual transmission Wranglers? I know there are different options out there but it seems to me the Wrangler may present some unique challenges so I am curious what has worked or not worked for people? I am aware of the concerns expressed by a remote start manual. Just looking for anyone with experiences using specific systems.
Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored