Coolant Temperature Gauge

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
The temperature bar graph on the instrument cluster does not seem to match the reading on the Information Pages on the cluster. My bar graph will be just below the half way point when the information page is reading 194* degrees. After climbing a grade the pointer of the bar graph does not move, however the temp on the information page shows 222* degrees.

Has anybody else noticed this discrepancy between the bar graph and the Information page reading? Is 222* high when climbing grades?
Temp shot.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kajmcbride

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Here is a picture when the coolant temperature bar graph gauge was in the same position, however the coolant temperature was 30* cooler according to the Information Pages.
IMG_0026 (1).jpg

automaton

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
It's pretty typical for modern vehicles to have an unmoving coolant temp gauge as long as the vehicle is operating within an expected range of operation.The manufacturers do this to keep from getting "False Alarms" from people trying to judge whether their car is actually running a little hot when the gauge creeps slightly above the center line. In this day of J.D. Power Quality ratings, having someone think their Jeep is overheating when they climb a long grade can hurt their perceived quality. Not saying it's necessarily the right thing for them to do, but that's the reality of it.

220 degrees should fall within the normal operating range of most modern V6 engines.

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
It's pretty typical for modern vehicles to have an unmoving coolant temp gauge as long as the vehicle is operating within an expected range of operation.The manufacturers do this to keep from getting "False Alarms" from people trying to judge whether their car is actually running a little hot when the gauge creeps slightly above the center line. In this day of J.D. Power Quality ratings, having someone think their Jeep is overheating when they climb a long grade can hurt their perceived quality. Not saying it's necessarily the right thing for them to do, but that's the reality of it.

220 degrees should fall within the normal operating range of most modern V6 engines.

Mine gets to 226 around town with the air on low. Its gotten to 232 climbing grades with the air off. I keep seeing posts talking about the "loud" engine fan but I have yet to hear mine, starting to wonder if my fan is even working. Does anyone know at what temp the "loud" fan kicks on? What temp is considered HOT enough to worry about overheating?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
It will increase when you increase the A/C fan in the cab. A stupid way of doing it. Needs to be off coolant temp only. Sure someone will make a kit or add to the Tazer

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I haven't noticed any differences--especially--+

-AT 65 MILES PER HOUR--

What the hell is wrong with you ???

You you're the reason my insurance is so high--

W.E.

JIMBO

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine gets to 226 around town with the air on low. Its gotten to 232 climbing grades with the air off. I keep seeing posts talking about the "loud" engine fan but I have yet to hear mine, starting to wonder if my fan is even working. Does anyone know at what temp the "loud" fan kicks on? What temp is considered HOT enough to worry about overheating?
The only time i would hear my loud fan was during startup, or when i turned the A/C on or lately when my coolant temp sensor failed and my temperature gauge in the instrument cluster rose to the highest mark for the temp (altho the engine was not hot) and stayed on when the temperature gauge decreased to the lowest setting (aka it was not accurate).

And the fan stayed on until i turned the jeep off and it was CRAZYYY loud...sounded like I was about to take off on an airstrip lol. I have a Sport and my instrument cluster looks entirely different from yours as I don't even have the technology package. However, the next time I drive, I'll check to see what the "actual" temperature is displaying and try to post it here.

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Here is a picture when the coolant temperature bar graph gauge was in the same position, however the coolant temperature was 30* cooler according to the Information Pages.
IMG_0026 (1).jpg
Mine (2018 JLU Rubi 6sp) shows same behavior, first really noticed a couple weeks ago crossing the Mojave.
I see the analog displays (bar and arc) both move during transition from cold start to "normal". Then no analog display changes from ~ 190 to ~ 230.
Maybe this is a modern analog equivalent of an idiot light--I guess it will only rise into top half of range when the engine is REALLY HOT [?]. Disappointing since I'd hope an analog gage would display true even if some drivers fuss and worry.

elchoche23

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Body; Sahara
I was about to post on the same topic; I have noticed the same in my JL. I was at the beach and activated the 4x4; sand was somewhat loose and after a few minutes, I noticed the temperature started to climb. It got to 226 which I thought was high; I stopped for a few minutes and let it cool down for a bit. When I turned it back on, I noticed the fan came full blast and the temperature quickly dropped to 190. What I don't understand of the programming logic is that the fan slows down but as the Jeep goes back to the sand, temperature rises again to the 220 area and the fan cannot be heard. It makes me feel like the fan will kick in right at that highest allowable temperature which I have no idea what it is.

I would like to have the fan come on at about 215 and keep temperatures within 195-215 but almost 30 degree difference in temperature and the fan is running very slow (if I turn it off, I can hear the fan slowly coming to a stop) or none at all.

Anyway, I hope someone understands how the fan is programmed because in the past or even my Ram (2017), the fans come on depending on the temperature range and keeps it in that range. I've yet to see 220 in my Ram, but anyway, hope someone can chime in.

Eddiee07

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Reviving old thread. I’m having this same exact issue with my JL. I used to here the fan kick on all the time but now haven’t heard it in the past month. Did you figure out what was happening with yours?

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Reviving old thread. I’m having this same exact issue with my JL. I used to here the fan kick on all the time but now haven’t heard it in the past month. Did you figure out what was happening with yours?
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
If you haven't heard your engine cooling fan run at all in the last month of driving, it definitely should be when driving in traffic, or A/C is on. You probably have a bad cooling sensor, or cooling fan motor. Turn your A/C on and see if the fan kicks in. It should to keep the A/C Compressor head pressure down. What actual cooling system temps are you seeing?

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator

Took it to the dealer shorty after I posted that and they said fan was only running on low. Dont know what they did, but now if I turn the A/C on high it really does sound like a jet engine, lol. And I havent had any other problems with high temps regardless of if A/C is on or not.
Sponsored