Sponsored

Custom Ordering and trade in

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
ive never custom ordered while doing a trade in. How does that work? Do I get something in writing for a particular mileage range of my trade in vehicle at the time of pick up in addition to the order deposit and paperwork?
Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
No you just get the trade in value at the time you pick up your JL. To get an idea of what your vehicle may be worth though, you could ask the dealer to quote a trade-in value now (and estimate it'll probably be around the same price in 5-7 weeks when your JL comes in). But no dealer is going to agree to pay a certain trade in price for 5-7 weeks down the line because the mileage and condition of your vehicle at that point is unknown.

OP
OP

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
No you just get the trade in value at the time you pick up your JL. To get an idea of what your vehicle may be worth though, you could ask the dealer to quote a trade-in value now (and estimate it'll probably be around the same price in 5-7 weeks when your JL comes in). But no dealer is going to agree to pay a certain trade in price for 5-7 weeks down the line because the mileage and condition of your vehicle at that point is unknown.
Thanks, so if I’m not happy with the trade in offer I’m out of luck and still have to buy the car?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Thanks, so if I’m not happy with the trade in offer I’m out of luck and still have to buy the car?
Dealership may charge you a deposit, which may or may not be refundable, but they can't force you to buy it when it arrives.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I am in a similar position but, I could just give them mine at the time of order (I have a work van). I just don't want to loose my plate (single "Green" plate in Mass). I hate buying new cars. Decisions decisions decisions

Sponsored

kromealt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner considering a JL
I disagree with this but it could vary by dealer. When I ordered my Ram I was offered a set dollar amount on my JKUR for trade and the dealer vowed the quote wouldn't change if I kept the trade within a certain mileage come time for the actual deal.

It took 9 weeks to get my Ram and the dealer kept to their initial quote when I ordered.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
You can get an early appraisal from the dealer and as long as you don't trash your trade they usually will honor that price when your order comes in.

OP
OP

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
You can get an early appraisal from the dealer and as long as you don't trash your trade they usually will honor that price when your order comes in.
Cool - do you know good Jeep dealers in WA state that will do affiliate orders below invoice and honor things?
I'm in Woodinville :)

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Cool - do you know good Jeep dealers in WA state that will do affiliate orders below invoice and honor things?
I'm in Woodinville :)
I bought my JK at Tacoma Jeep they have a huge inventory. Seattle Jeep on Aurora had good deals but were too far north.

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
Dealership may charge you a deposit, which may or may not be refundable, but they can't force you to buy it when it arrives.
I have a Sport S on order and have a trade in as well with no deposit. My dealer told me when my JL comes in if I am not happy with our deal I can just walk away.

Sponsored

Jeffinstl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
ive never custom ordered while doing a trade in. How does that work? Do I get something in writing for a particular mileage range of my trade in vehicle at the time of pick up in addition to the order deposit and paperwork?
It all depends on the buyer and the dealer. I ordered mine earlier this week and negotiated price for the new Jeep and trade in on my old one. The numbers are on the buyers order agreement so I’ll get that agreed upon number. Now if I wreck it between now and purchase time I’m sure all bets are off.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I got a 30 day deal number for trade on my JK. It was a little lower than it should be. I said I want "X" for my JK, he said that, if I did it now (within a couple days) he would give me that number. So I did it, then borrowed a relatives hooptie and that's what I'll drive until the JL shows up.

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I got a 30 day deal number for trade on my JK. It was a little lower than it should be. I said I want "X" for my JK, he said that, if I did it now (within a couple days) he would give me that number. So I did it, then borrowed a relatives hooptie and that's what I'll drive until the JL shows up.
I'll be in the same boat. I'll be sporting a 2005 Jaguar S-Type (if I can get it running) while waiting for my JLUR. Lord, have mercy on thee...

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so there are some dealers that will honor your initial trade-in appraisal once your oder arrives? I am close to ordering mine but I was shocked to hear my dealer say that they cannot promise the initial trade in value because essentially the vehicle ordered won't arrive 9-12 weeks from today. Even if I was to give them the car now and just wait till my order, they still couldn't guarantee the price. Pretty upsetting but makes kinda sense.
But if there are other dealers out there that can honor the trade in value than that's most assuring for me as a buyer. I will be giving them my Cherokee 2015. It is already loosing a lot of value as it is and if they decide to release the 2019s in the next two months, than all of the 15s will lose even more value which is concerning.

Lmk if anyone else has more input.
Thanks

giangvann

First Name
Giang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sahara Anvil Soft Top
In 2014, I had this issue trading in my previous car. I had agreed on a price for the car and set a value for my trade. When my vehicle arrived, they tried to cut my trade value by $1500 even though we had an agreement. They said I had put 10,000 miles on it from the time I ordered it (which is pretty hard to do, and it had only gone up by 1000 miles or so). I argued with them for a few hours and got it up to a 200 dollar loss on trade in. I flamed them so hard on the dealer survey and Yelp lol. It should've been an easy close, but it wasn't.

This is Gilman in Houston. I hate them. The manager there was a total Ahole.

I'm looking to order a JL and now have a 2015 JK to trade in. Hopefully, I don't have to deal with this again at another dealership.
Sponsored