Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, thanks for the update. I drove by it and was up on the mountain and camped on the TN side. Didn't do the trail since I didn't have a HiJack with me and wasn't willing to hit any trail with out some getting unstuck gear. Looking at going back in 3 weeks.
Slept in back of Jeep, pretty comfortable and mice like Jeeps too. Search for a new post on that topic soon :)
Sponsored

Omaha Jeep

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03Jeep TJ
Google Richlands Rd. trail. Its about 8 miles outside of Blowing Rock and is an unmaintained state rd. It has a couple of places that are challenging to me, but I am a offered beginner.
Richland Rd is no longer available, has been gated off by the landowners, popular misconception was that it had been a service rd, FACT: it was an abandoned easement, it reverted back to private property in 1983

Omaha Jeep

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03Jeep TJ
I have read some of the same reports. I even read a report about an orv meth lab being deep down there at one point. I have been through there several times in the last month with my wife and kids and haven't seen anything. I ran into some razor side x side guys and another guy in a jeep. I do strictly stay on the trail and don't veer off of it. We have had a great time but you are right. It is a bit unnerving to think about how far out you are. If something would go wrong, help is nowhere near.
The trail itself is PRIVATE PROPERTY, has NOT been a state anything since 1983

Omaha Jeep

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03Jeep TJ
The trail itself is PRIVATE PROPERTY, has NOT been a state anything since 1983
I’m very good friends with some of the landowners, they’re fellow members at Patriot Mtn Offroad, and in just relaying there 2 cents to try n help keep people from getting trouble, spoke with one yesterday who said the gates are indeed on the lower mid and upper ends

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Richland Rd is no longer available, has been gated off by the landowners, popular misconception was that it had been a service rd, FACT: it was an abandoned easement, it reverted back to private property in 1983
Wow this is pretty recent then because back in March I heard you could still get on the trail. I also heard the land owners that abut the trail were sick and tired of all the morons.

We were just up that way camping above Linville Gorge and discovered Patriot Mountain Off Road Park across from the original Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. I looked them up... off roading, camping and pistol range... WOOHOO definitely checking them out next trip up that way.

Sponsored

Omaha Jeep

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03Jeep TJ
Wow this is pretty recent then because back in March I heard you could still get on the trail. I also heard the land owners that abut the trail were sick and tired of all the morons.

We were just up that way camping above Linville Gorge and discovered Patriot Mountain Off Road Park across from the original Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. I looked them up... off roading, camping and pistol range... WOOHOO definitely checking them out next trip up that way.[/
I thought about mentioning Richlands Road but it's been pretty nasty up there at times. There are numerous reports of people having run-ins with locals who don't want you there. The road itself is public property but anything off either side is private and from what I've heard, people don't take kindly to folks straying off the road.

I haven't been up there in years but I never felt like I could relax and enjoy the road because I was worried about who I may cross paths with.

Your experience may have been different or things may have changed but I don't think I'd feel comfortable taking my wife and kids there.
in regards to the old Richland Rd trail, the EPA got involved on it last year over people driving through the creek area near the cemetery, it’s headwater that leads to trout water. a landowner down below in Buffalo Cove called in about dead trout

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link