UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a paved road? I've never been on it. Looks like a 2WD road?
It’s probably closer to a gravel road than a trail. A lot of overlanders enjoy 105 for the views. Old House Gap Road is more technical and not far from there. Maybe run 105 for the views. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
It’s probably closer to a gravel road than a trail. A lot of overlanders enjoy 105 for the views. Old House Gap Road is more technical and not far from there. Maybe run 105 for the views. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is Old House Gap Rd like Hurricane Creek or anything where we would want to disco and air down?

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@ThirtyOne, reach out to Jesse. I’m almost positive he’s been on Old House Gap and can compare it to Hurricane Creek. He knows the area around Linville Falls and Blowing Rock pretty well.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
@ThirtyOne, reach out to Jesse. I’m almost positive he’s been on Old House Gap and can compare it to Hurricane Creek. He knows the area around Linville Falls and Blowing Rock pretty well.
Good idea Bret. Thanks!

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well here's the latest pics from today. Good progress on the LJ getting a new power plant, so far so good and no major surprises, praying it keeps going that way. All props to master mechanic Shawn.

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

K9 brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired
Has anyone been to Patriot Mtn offroad? Just saw it online, I believe it is near Boone.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, planning a Uwharie trip on Saturday with the Mrs. and my oldest son and possibly my youngest son. We plan on bringing burgers and dogs or something and stopping and having dinner on the trail at a campsite.
Reply here, text me or PM me if you want to meet up. I think we are planning on being at the Outpost around 1PM will confirm later.
I'm gonna have to be out. I now have to Texas Chainsaw Massacre a freshly-fallen fairly large tree in the yard and I've been nominated for leaf-blowing duty.
Yay me.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone been to Patriot Mtn offroad? Just saw it online, I believe it is near Boone.
We ran it once, it's not too bad but it is small but for $20 it was fun. It's right across from the Original Mass General Store in Valle Crucis.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@chevymitchell and went in February this year, right after it snowed. It was a muddy mess but fun. Joel, the owner, is a really nice guy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chevymitchell

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
@chevymitchell and went in February this year, right after it snowed. It was a muddy mess but fun. Joel, the owner, is a really nice guy.
The owner was super nice. However, the place is so small, I don't think I'll make the trip back there again. It might be worth it if you've never been or are in the area for something else, but not worth the drive to run it if you're over an hour away.

K9 brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
Semi retired
Thanks for the info on the off road park, Im kinda in the middle between it and Uwharrie.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Wanted to write an update on Old House Gap Road.

Bottom line, it's definitely a good option if you are in the area, especially for stock vehicles. My friend has a stock Tacoma with street tires, so I needed something that didn't have any clearance obstacles but felt like a real trail in the Blowing Rock/Linville/Grandfather area. This trail was perfect for that.

While it was easy on clearance it had a lot of rutted areas that made it a little more interesting. Sort of like Peters Mill Run with ruts instead of mud holes.

It was a pretty trail Part of the trail runs along a ridge that looks over a creek with a small waterfall at one point. There are not open views of the mountains like on Bald Mountain.

It was also short. I think it took us a little over an hour but anyone with experience could run it in about 45 minutes. There are winding dirt roads to get to and from the trail which makes the whole trip 2-3 hours.

Overall, I would put it below Hurricane Creek in pretty much every way. Pretty similar to Peters Mill Run and Bald Mountain in terms of difficulty but more interesting because of the ruts. and shorter.

We got there by going south from Linville on Roseboro Road. The good thing is there is a parking lot at the trailhead of the Gragg Prong Falls. It is directly across from the entrance to the trail. So you can air down there and then head up the trail. At the top of the trail there are gravel roads that take you right to 221 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Super convenient.
Sponsored