Roam Rocker Steps or Iron Cross Rocker Steps

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I can't wait to get the Roam steps in and installed. I've been told they are very nice and the responses on here have been crazy good. The vote I put out also was extremely heavy on the Roam ones. I emailed @IronCrossAutomotive twice and never got a response, and emailed Anthony who responded next day. I'll post pics once installed. Next on the agenda will be the lift, wheels, and tires to figure out which will probably be a difficult decision to make, but hey that's part of all the fun ... making a final decision and getting it put on lol.
Thank you for (1) starting this thread, and (2) sharing your info and experiences!

To be fair to Iron Cross, I think everyone uses different modes of communication. I tagged @ROAM in a post and also sent them a PM yesterday, and haven't heard back.

I sent @IronCrossAutomotive a PM and heard back today with additional photos and information - so maybe IC monitors this forum more and ROAM watches emails more. Or maybe Anthony at ROAM is on vacation - hard to say.

I honestly haven't been able to make up my mind yet :)

I like that the ROAM steps have lights, and I initially thought I liked the hole cutouts to help with grip - but it looks like the IC option has texture to it, to help with grip. The IC option looks more "factory" to me and stands out a bit less (I like subtle enhancements).

The ROAM option has a bigger following and more photos and information available, but IC is shipping immediately and has a much better price point.

I do like that the ROAM steps have the "bump" in the middle of the step to break up the long bar, and they also come up at the ends to give a better flow with the fenders, whereas the IC option is just long and flat with nothing to break up the gap between doors and flat at the ends leaving that gap between the step and the fenders on both ends.....

Decisions, decisions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
Thank you for (1) starting this thread, and (2) sharing your info and experiences!

To be fair to Iron Cross, I think everyone uses different modes of communication. I tagged @ROAM in a post and also sent them a PM yesterday, and haven't heard back.

I sent @IronCrossAutomotive a PM and heard back today with additional photos and information - so maybe IC monitors this forum more and ROAM watches emails more. Or maybe Anthony at ROAM is on vacation - hard to say.

I honestly haven't been able to make up my mind yet :)

I like that the ROAM steps have lights, and I initially thought I liked the hole cutouts to help with grip - but it looks like the IC option has texture to it, to help with grip. The IC option looks more "factory" to me and stands out a bit less (I like subtle enhancements).

The ROAM option has a bigger following and more photos and information available, but IC is shipping immediately and has a much better price point.

I do like that the ROAM steps have the "bump" in the middle of the step to break up the long bar, and they also come up at the ends to give a better flow with the fenders, whereas the IC option is just long and flat with nothing to break up the gap between doors and flat at the ends leaving that gap between the step and the fenders on both ends.....

Decisions, decisions.
Good luck! lol,

Btw, no disrespect to @IronCrossAutomotive at all, just stating that I was also interested in their products obviously, just disappointing not hearing back from them, but it's all good, helped make my decision quicker lol. Just hope I'm happy in the end ... dont we all? Hahaha

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Having trouble getting the @IronCrossAutomotive side step on. I have everything mounted up EXCEPT for the side step itself. I just can’t understand how it fits over these brackets.

Can’t anyone help?

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Having trouble getting the @IronCrossAutomotive side step on. I have everything mounted up EXCEPT for the side step itself. I just can’t understand how it fits over these brackets.

Can’t anyone help?

image.jpg

image.jpg
Wish I could help. Have you tried contacting Iron Cross?

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
Try this:

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
That’s aligned what the only way we can see these going on...

That said, if that’s the case, either our boards are cut wrong (!?) or all photos of the product installed on other Jeeps are wrong, lol.

With ours installing this way, the boards would be rotated 90 degrees so there is no step - and the step portion just looks like “ground effects” for a Jeep - puke!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’m pretty sure @IronCrossAutomotive sent us the wrong product :( The insurrections say JL but there’s just no way that my wife or I can find to get these things on.

Took photos and sent a PM and left s VM. Hoping for a fast response. My rock rails are off and I have a Frankenstein setup now :(

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
I’m pretty sure @IronCrossAutomotive sent us the wrong product :( The insurrections say JL but there’s just no way that my wife or I can find to get these things on.

Took photos and sent a PM and left s VM. Hoping for a fast response. My rock rails are off and I have a Frankenstein setup now :(

Sorry for the mess. Yeah I don't know, I ended up going with the Roam ones. I put them on yesterday actually. Good luck! Hopefully they get back with ya soon.

20180822_062528.jpg

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Sorry for the mess. Yeah I don't know, I ended up going with the Roam ones. I put them on yesterday actually. Good luck! Hopefully they get back with ya soon.

20180822_062528.jpg
Yours look great!

I’m frustrated but also laughing. Wife and I spent about 2.5 hours on it last night. We flew up until the last step of actually putting the steps on. That was probably 1.5-2 hours of thinking and trying different things. We disassembled and reassembled multiple times.

I can’t imagine that we actually got the wrong product, but wife thought so from the beginning. After about 2 hours of confirming how it should look via product photos online and on their site, reading and re-reading the instructions, watching YouTube videos of IC installs (nobody has a video of an install of the same steps on a JL, so we watched the side arm install on a JK and also step installs on trucks, etc)... the only conclusion I can come to is that the wife is correct and we received the wrong product somehow.

I sent a PM to @IronCrossAutomotive and left a voicemail and am tagging them here in hopes that they get back quickly. Obviously my hope is that we’re just wrong and there’s a way to install these suckers and not have to wait on a different item to ship out.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
@IronCrossAutomotive sent a PM response back this AM - sounds like we received the wrong mounting brackets and clamps. That would make sense. Hoping the steps themselves are correect! The instruction manual we received does mention the JL but lists different hardware and has different steps than the PDF they sent across this AM.

They offered to next dair air the correct mounting hardware to us - hoping that works out so that we can give this another go tomorrow.

Will keep this thread posted! Part of the decision factor for us to pick Iron Cross instead of ROAM was the timeliness of responses to PMs - and @IronCrossAutomotive once again replied in less than 12 hours which is pretty good.

Mistakes happen - what matters is how they're addressed and resolved. So far, I think we're on the right path. Here's to hoping we receive the correct hardware tomorrow and that everything goes on smoothly.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
@IronCrossAutomotive sent a PM response back this AM - sounds like we received the wrong mounting brackets and clamps. That would make sense. Hoping the steps themselves are correect! The instruction manual we received does mention the JL but lists different hardware and has different steps than the PDF they sent across this AM.

They offered to next dair air the correct mounting hardware to us - hoping that works out so that we can give this another go tomorrow.

Will keep this thread posted! Part of the decision factor for us to pick Iron Cross instead of ROAM was the timeliness of responses to PMs - and @IronCrossAutomotive once again replied in less than 12 hours which is pretty good.

Mistakes happen - what matters is how they're addressed and resolved. So far, I think we're on the right path. Here's to hoping we receive the correct hardware tomorrow and that everything goes on smoothly.
I forgot to update here. Everything came in next day as promised and then install was smooth! Love the steps and love the company.

Mistakes happen - and you can’t always plan for them. So, knowing that a company is ready to step up to bat to correct whatever randomness might pop up... we’ll, that’s cool.

The steps look great and are very functional. They look factory, which is something we love (very clean and they blend right in).

maybatch2000

First Name
Vivek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
I forgot to update here. Everything came in next day as promised and then install was smooth! Love the steps and love the company.

Mistakes happen - and you can’t always plan for them. So, knowing that a company is ready to step up to bat to correct whatever randomness might pop up... we’ll, that’s cool.

The steps look great and are very functional. They look factory, which is something we love (very clean and they blend right in).
Any pictures of them installed on your Jeep?
I am planning to order the IRoncross steps as well. Thanks!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Any pictures of them installed on your Jeep?
I am planning to order the IRoncross steps as well. Thanks!
Here you go - be sure to click the photos to make them bigger.

@IronCrossAutomotive was an awesome company to work with. Highly, highly recommend them. Not just because they were awesome to deal with and stand behind their products, but also because the product itself is outstanding!

Here you go:

Sorry I don’t have better photos - more to come later, hopefully.

These are the @IronCrossAutomotive steps.

Stand up company. Really great to work with. I bought from them after they sent multiple private messages replying to my questions, and provided a forum discount code (some others are not doing that).

Aside from customer service, the product is also excellent. It’s exactly what we were hoping for. It looks factory and is very clean.

FCECB326-5C48-4128-A884-6302F677A242.jpeg

D81BC038-3CA9-4A20-9BD7-EAF24495F3E4.jpeg

A840BD12-D37E-42DE-B0E0-B1DC9C697BC1.jpeg

0EBA4552-82F8-4272-850A-FC7A9C97DD1D.jpeg
Ok, more crummy garage photos. Sorry they aren’t better - tried to show some of the “worst angles” to see the pinch seam. You really don’t see it, just those bolts I mentioned if you know what to look for. You can see mine a bit since they aren’t fully black.

I also included the measuring tape photo so you can see the actual gap.

Width of the step area is 4.5” by my measurement. I also included side profile shots so you can compare it against the fenders for a reference point.

I had factory Mopar steps on my JK Sahara, and for comparison these are definitely not any more difficult to use. They feel more sturdy and grippy if anything (but not painful on your feet).

15797172-D0AC-4D8E-9DB0-4D22DD34A08E.jpeg

08A9BD39-BA46-4A4F-AF8D-6721318896C2.jpeg

E8A42779-9C6F-4296-801C-0AEC83FBFC0D.jpeg

72CC686B-03A3-432E-BD57-50C873D23A13.jpeg

6D21AC4E-D139-4F19-80B7-CBCFFE47BDE6.jpeg

2F0CBEDA-F463-46F2-8749-6C0A82C1C070.jpeg

3B212021-ECE0-42F7-B13A-3FA1AF9952D5.jpeg

14CAEE54-6CC9-4A1E-816F-362F3A426076.jpeg

AE9B1BE8-D5C9-45B1-8987-730EF87AC88B.jpeg

CBC0F6AC-4B55-4489-BC50-47EBD5AFED21.jpeg

10EEDE99-EBCB-43AF-AA88-4709B7345717.jpeg
Here you go! I agree, best I’ve seen. And the team at @IronCrossAutomotive is one of those “stand up crews” with outstanding customer support.

Here are some more photos for ya, let me know if you want additional angles.

984626C8-5959-4248-8742-29CC575F41D0.jpeg

5C42F96E-B8F3-4FFA-B717-E312302B35B6.jpeg

7FC129DB-7263-4841-9E57-7772B3B5986E.jpeg

1FEE77AB-C390-4AF3-B72F-EA2BD8E7CC84.jpeg

0BCF9388-A7F2-46EE-85E9-B42D4B505DE4.jpeg

286687AE-F2D5-43BE-9B18-EA61E8EECC7C.jpeg

F654E460-5DC9-4EE8-B7D1-B679F575026E.jpeg

8CE3E82C-18ED-4BDD-A48A-EADA755815B2.jpeg

A9642AD1-0830-405E-A7BC-93D66693D94D.jpeg

774E337F-7609-4148-945F-19B8D43B0C06.jpeg

Couple of notes on the photos:
1. You’ll notice I’m wearing an Iron Cross shirt (reflection in the later photos). I’m not employed by or affiliated with the brand or any employees of the brand. Just a fan after ordering these side steps (my first product from them!).

2. In the photos showing the steps in direct sun, there are some “light slivers” on the step that almost look like scratches or discoloration, etc. Those are just reflections off the paint from the Jeep and the metallic machine right behind me/to the side of where I’m standing while taking the photos. No scratches or ding or anything on the steps, they were superbly packaged.