Start Engine without a Key!

Hellow0rld

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a JLU Sport automatic transmission and left it parked in neutral with the parking brakes applied. Turned off the vehicle completely and left the car. My co-worker was able to get into my car (doorless) and was able to start the engine without a key fob! He could have driven off with my car but once you put it back to park and turn off the vehicle, you can no longer start it again.

Is this normal?
Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I have a JLU Sport automatic transmission and left it parked in neutral with the parking brakes applied. Turned off the vehicle completely and left the car. My co-worker was able to get into my car (doorless) and was able to start the engine without a key fob! He could have driven off with my car but once you put it back to park and turn off the vehicle, you can no longer start it again.

Is this normal?
Yikes. I cant speak to if its normal, but sure is something to think about for those who drive doorless! Lesson Learned I guess.

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
Maybe since it was not in Park it was not recognized by the ESS?

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Normal would be having the car in park if it's an Auto, or in gear with parking brake applied if it's a "millennial theft deterrent" vehicle.

My Millennial Sherpa says that was mean, so, I'm sorry millennials...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup

Is this normal?
I think you should park it like that again, but be sure to post both your home and work addresses....just so we can rule out any geographical issues ;)

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I think you should park it like that again, but be sure to post both your home and work addresses....just so we can rule out any geographical issues ;)
:giggle:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

Is this normal?
I'm going say, since you left the vehicle in neutral, that the computer treated the event like you had never left the vehicle and didn't require a check for the Key FOB. But once the Jeep went into park it tried to find the FOB and wouldn't restart without it.

This is all guesswork but all the more reason to leave the Jeep in park rather than neutral.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
It's not normal to leave your car in neutral and put on the parking brake then turn your engine off. Was that your question? :)
LOL! First thing I thought of was "Okaaaaaay, why tf would you leave your car in neutral?"

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Normal would be having the car in park if it's an Auto, or in gear with parking brake applied if it's a "millennial theft deterrent" vehicle.

My Millennial Sherpa says that was mean, so, I'm sorry millennials...
If a manual is a Millennial Theft Deterrent, would a touchscreen shifter be a Boomer Theft Deterrent?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
If a manual is a Millennial Theft Deterrent, would a touchscreen shifter be a Boomer Theft Deterrent?
more like the shift lever on an Automatic BMW

2011-bmw-x3-xdrive28i-gear-shift-knob.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I'm going say, since you left the vehicle in neutral, that the computer treated the event like you had never left the vehicle and didn't require a check for the Key FOB. But once the Jeep went into park it tried to find the FOB and wouldn't restart without it.

This is all guesswork but all the more reason to leave the Jeep in park rather than neutral.
You beat me to it. Try the same thing in an older car, dont put it in Park and turn the key off, it doesnt let you leave the ACC position, meaning you didnt shut the vehicle off. Your friend just went from ACC to ON, not from OFF to ON.