Sponsored

Waiting for diesel?

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
I'm a data point that proves the opposite of your claim. First, my ecodiesel truck ran flawlessly for the four years I owned it - I absolutely loved it. I had no desire to sell it, but I was approached by a dealer who made me an excellent cash offer for my truck, and the money I made for the truck now sits in the bank to make a downpayment on my ecodiesel Wrangler. He stated that they can't keep the ecodiesels in stock enough, so the used models have excellent resale value (at which point in time I probably should have tried negotiating a higher price on my truck, but I was signing the papers as we were discussing this :) )

Interesting... in my neck of the woods they can't give the ED away.
Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Interesting... in my neck of the woods they can't give the ED away.
Between the frame welds, software pages, 2.0 turbo roll out, steering problems, and the known diesel engine problems, I'm wondering if getting a JL is a good idea at all. Teething problems are fine when you read about them, but a loaded ecodiesel rubi is going to be real close to 60K and my patience with problems at that level of expense is extremely limited.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Between the frame welds, software pages, 2.0 turbo roll out, steering problems, and the known diesel engine problems, I'm wondering if getting a JL is a good idea at all. Teething problems are fine when you read about them, but a loaded ecodiesel rubi is going to be real close to 60K and my patience with problems at that level of expense is extremely limited.
Buy a Volvo? I’m buying a Jeep. :)

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Before considering these issues or post? Neither exactly comparable options to a Jeep. Perhaps new upcoming Bronco or current Raptor.
Post. Had a Bronco with the 302. It was ok. Can't afford the big Raptor, and I don't know that the little one will be all that and a bag of chips. ZR2/Bison might be the ticket if they do a refresh. As it stands the interior is 80's cheesy. 4Runner certainly could stand a refresh, and red paint on the skid plate isn't my idea of one. However its as reliable as the sunrise, even though the mpg sucks and Toyota can do better with its cellphone sized screen and five speed tranny. Jeep has everything I want but this forum is like a bucket of cold water to the face. Even with the powertrain problems not withstanding, steering, welds, software, bothers the hell out of me, as they are not "one of's" but many reports and pictures. For someone who wants front and rear lockers, there aren't many options out there.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
When the growing pains are over one may regret having gone other. I shortly contemplated the new upcoming Bronco but reality is there’s no comparable to a Jeep. No other has a removeable top or doors. What good are lockers if don’t have the same approach angles? How many vehicles let you go 37 with nothing more than 2 inches added? Ground clearance 12” plus. Not to be used by all but once offroaf there goes that windshield. From DD to off-road buggy to rock conqueror. One can have it all. FCA just needs to get their shit together. We accept nothing less.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I wanted the diesel. I desired the diesel. I coveted the diesel. But after hearing so many horror stories, my main concern was the fact that is not a good idea for daily driving. Pentastar has been really good to me, so off to the dealer I went. Spoke to new car manager Chi Chan. That's his real name. Asian guy, the best. So he ordered my JLUR in Mojito! with auto transmission and nav. Not a lot of options that I won"t use but the ones I wanted. Now I'm eagerly awaiting my jeep. In about 8 weeks, I will be trading my 2017 JKUR and I know the JL is going to be reliable everywhere I decide to go. I was hoping it was a Cummins, but when I heard it was Fiat motori, I backed away. But those out there who are more knowledgeable than me about diesels and such, don't forget to post your comments here.
I'm not a coward, but when it comes to common sense, I have plenty. Maybe we'll see you in Key West, Daytona beach or Moab. So keep on jeepin...

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
Funny Im trading a ZR2 Durmax to get back into the diesel JL

IMG_0595.jpg
I have this exact truck down to the color! Man, I’m not sure I could justify getting rid of it for the diesel JL, I have a built up JKU I'll be selling or trading in for the diesel when it comes available. The duramax ZR2 is a dream of a vehicle for damned near everything aside from the fun factor of the Wrangler.

Sponsored

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I suggest you go and drive the ZR2 diesel. I drove it and was disappointed from the start. It has decent power to tow, but it was sluggish when taking off. And it rattles like a 1977 buick. Everything was plasticky, and from the 90's. But the choice is yours. I wanted the JLRU diesel and perhaps in my dream I envisioned a Cummins. But the 3.0 Fiat engine is not for me. That's what they are using. I'll stick with Pentastar, that has been good to me for years. The 8 speed transmission is awesome, for the Ram 1500 I had (move that I regret) and traded for a F-150 had it and never had issues had it and it works great. By the way, Duramax is Isuzu. Go drive the ZR-2 diesel and forge your own opinion.

MoaKane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2018 Audi Q3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
Vehicle Showcase
I have this exact truck down to the color! Man, I’m not sure I could justify getting rid of it for the diesel JL, I have a built up JKU I'll be selling or trading in for the diesel when it comes available. The duramax ZR2 is a dream of a vehicle for damned near everything aside from the fun factor of the Wrangler.
I love it, just doesnt have the fun factor. We own this 30K mile LJ but dont want to beat it up.

IMG_0450.jpg

MoaKane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2018 Audi Q3
Occupation
Pharmaceuticals
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest you go and drive the ZR2 diesel. I drove it and was disappointed from the start. It has decent power to tow, but it was sluggish when taking off. And it rattles like a 1977 buick. Everything was plasticky, and from the 90's. But the choice is yours. I wanted the JLRU diesel and perhaps in my dream I envisioned a Cummins. But the 3.0 Fiat engine is not for me. That's what they are using. I'll stick with Pentastar, that has been good to me for years. The 8 speed transmission is awesome, for the Ram 1500 I had (move that I regret) and traded for a F-150 had it and never had issues had it and it works great. By the way, Duramax is Isuzu. Go drive the ZR-2 diesel and forge your own opinion.
I dont know man but I dont have those types of complaints. The ZR2 baby duramax has pulled my Z28 all over the southeastern US with no issues. Sure the interior isnt that refined but most chevys arent. I drive it daily 35 miles each way to work, 28 of that highway and doing 80 I average 23-24. Its not a bad truck, easy to park and quick to get around in. I have no regrets.

Truck.jpg

TurboTJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Any news from FCA? Word on the street was they’ll be taking orders in August. Starting a Diesel-integration production line is no easy task. They will probably start taking orders once they roll the first few ED’s off the line, which is hopefully soon.
Sponsored