Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Clearly ESS isn't well received by car enthusiasts so why did FCA make it so it can't remember last user mode in the cars that have it so far? There must be some policy, business, or legal reason for it.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Clearly ESS isn't well received by car enthusiasts so why did FCA make it so it can't remember last user mode in the cars that have it so far? There must be some policy, business, or legal reason for it.
Could it be that the companies wouldn't be able to report the emissions and MPG gains from ESS if it was just an option that could be turned off permanently?

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Could it be that the companies wouldn't be able to report the emissions and MPG gains from ESS if it was just an option that could be turned off permanently?
I dunno if that makes sense, when BMW first rolled out ESS in their cars it also reset to ESS ON upon every restart, but they quickly rolled out an update that allowed the car to remember last user mode. By that explanation they would have had their car's MPG ratings revised, but they stayed those figures stayed the same.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I am the founder and design engineer at SmartStopStart.com. I make the ESS default memory device mentioned in this thread for the '16-'17 3.6L V6 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee, and have a version for the '15-'17 3.2L Standard Cherokee in Beta test, with plans to release it very soon.

I really do not know more than any of you as far as exactly what form ESS will take on the 2018 JL Wrangler. If, however there is a need to better manage this feature, I stand ready to consider a product as soon as the 2018's are being delivered and I can start evaluating one.

I am happy to be here!

Sponsored

DropTopGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBA: 2018 JL Wrangler, 2017 GS Corvette
Vehicle Showcase
I dunno if that makes sense, when BMW first rolled out ESS in their cars it also reset to ESS ON upon every restart, but they quickly rolled out an update that allowed the car to remember last user mode. By that explanation they would have had their car's MPG ratings revised, but they stayed those figures stayed the same.
Yup, CAFE standards, every mpg helps. I agree, it should default to last user setting but we did notice that there is the button for ESS on / off. My Porsche has the same and it starts back up in the button position that was last selected.
Worse case scenario if it defaults to "on", then there will be an additional simply step in the start up process... ie. put on seat belt, ignition to on, deselect ESS button, etc.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
I am the founder and design engineer at SmartStopStart.com. I make the ESS default memory device mentioned in this thread for the '16-'17 3.6L V6 Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee, and have a version for the '15-'17 3.2L Standard Cherokee in Beta test, with plans to release it very soon.

I really do not know more than any of you as far as exactly what form ESS will take on the 2018 JL Wrangler. If, however there is a need to better manage this feature, I stand ready to consider a product as soon as the 2018's are being delivered and I can start evaluating one.

I am happy to be here!
Good to see you and other Jeep vendors chiming in, it made me turn from lurker to member. I don't really see many companies talking about the JL elsewhere.

I'll be one of those in line for your device once I have a JL, I plan to get one asap. ESS is far from being a deal breaker but I'd rather not have to worry about turning it off every time or when I go wheeling. That and the engine turning off during the summer heat here does not sound appealing.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
Good point. Then there should be no reason that Jeep can't make it so that it remembers an OFF setting.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
But my point in my last post was that BMW offering ESS defaulting to off didn't change their MPG ratings.
My understanding is they offer this if a customer asks for it only as a dealer programmable option and they started doing this in 2012. Eventually they made 'default to last state' standard.

Five years later I have not heard of any other car-maker offering this.

Last edited:

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
That and the engine turning off during the summer heat here does not sound appealing.
No need to worry about that. With ESS both heat and air conditioning continue to work after engine shuts off. The heater core stays hot and the evaporator stays cold after the engine is off and the fan keeps blowing air through the evaporator or heater core. Also, if you have air conditioning on max, ESS doesn't shut off the engine.

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
My understanding is they offer this if a customer asks for it only as a dealer programmable option and they started doing this in 2012. Eventually they made 'default to last state' standard.

Five years later I have not heard of any other car-maker offering this.
Fact is the auto makers don't want you to disable it. It just leads to more complaints about poor fuel economy. Eventually ESS is going to be non defeatable, it is just a matter of time so they better get everyone used to it.

Charles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2015 - Expedition 2004 - BMW X5 2008 - Jeep Grand Cherokee
ESS -uggh My Acura has this and I have to say I would not have bought it had I known what a pain it is.

After I drive down my road I have to make a left turn onto a busy street - If I do not turn it off before that left turn, this is what happens.

Stop at the stop sign
Engine turns off
I wait to a window to make that left turn
Road is clear
Start the turn
Car hesitates then jerks forward into traffic and which point you have to slam it back into Reverse or floor it - followed by not so happy responses from other drivers - Pretty much a death trap waiting to happen - and I am sure it has caused accidents is that exact scenario.

I want to by a new Wrangler Unlimited and ESS that is on every time you restart the car that is a deal breaker for me. Does not improve anything mileage wise unless you are city driving all day and setting at long lights - at a stop sign it is a wast of energy and time and is a danger to the occupants to have it engaged.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly why the golf cart tech would be best. Come to a stop and it stops. Hit the gas (even in a manual, in gear) and the electric motor propels the car as it turns the motor over and transitions to gas or diesel power. Would give us 100% torque from a dead stop, eliminate all turbo lag, and save a lot of innocent clutches from early death.
Sponsored