Sponsored

Verified: Engine Start-Stop (ESS) Standard on 3.6L Pentastar 2018 Wrangler Engine

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
But imagine being on a trail run where every time you come to a stop to wait for the vehicle in front of you your engine shuts itself off and then restarts.
But that's as easy to avoid as pushing the ESS off button.

At least for the trail runs I've been on, that's a start/stop every few minutes; you can always shut your engine off yourself rather than idle if you so choose.
True, if you choose to shut your engine off often on the trail, you'll need to push the ESS off button everytime, but there's devices like the smartstopstart.com OBD II module that can permanently disable it.
Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
True, if you choose to shut your engine off often on the trail, you'll need to push the ESS off button everytime, but there's devices like the smartstopstart.com OBD II module that can permanently disable it.
True, if it can; it always takes a bit of OBD II hacking to develop the device after the vehicle is released.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
But that's as easy to avoid as pushing the ESS off button.
Still an annoyance, and should have an always off option, or button dance similar to disabling the seat-belt chime or drls, etc.

Need a non-ODBII solution, already have use for that, as do many others. There is no reason a disable shouldn't be a programming thing or an EVIC controllable option on a Wrangler.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Still an annoyance, and should have an always off option, or button dance similar to disabling the seat-belt chime or drls, etc.

Need a non-ODBII solution, already have use for that, as do many others. There is no reason a disable shouldn't be a programming thing or an EVIC controllable option on a Wrangler.
You can purchase an OBDII Y-adapter for under $10 so you still have a free OBDII port available. Modifying the software in the vehicle might have warranty implications.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can purchase an OBDII Y-adapter for under $10 so you still have a free OBDII port available. Modifying the software in the vehicle might have warranty implications.
You're still advocating $125+ solution vs something that should have a soft permanent disable option similar to the dances & codes, far FAR from ideal.

And I don't want another adapter, the current ODBII is out of the way, a Y adapter is not.

Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I certainly agree it would be best if this was a soft option on the selection screen. Unfortunately I do not design these vehicle or set FCA ploicy.

All I am doing is trying to provide a potential solution. My solution provides a memory for the last state of the ESS disable button, so you can easily set your preference to disable on or off. Yes, you need to keep a small device plugged in the OBDII port. Many people are happy with this as a solution. No one is being forced to buy it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forced is a relative term. Forced to buy it, no it's a free market.

Forced to deal with it, yes, pretty much all new cars going that route.

There are other hacks, however even those are a pain.
I would simply prefer FCA realize the trail-centric nature some of these will have, and thus offer the same workarounds they offer for seat-belts, etc.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I hope for the sake of the potential owners on this forum that FCA does the right thing with this model and gives the owners choice over ESS defaults.

If they don't however, I will try to offer at least one approach to a solution.

94grt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
Forced is a relative term. Forced to buy it, no it's a free market.

Forced to deal with it, yes, pretty much all new cars going that route.

There are other hacks, however even those are a pain.
I would simply prefer FCA realize the trail-centric nature some of these will have, and thus offer the same workarounds they offer for seat-belts, etc.
That's FCA's fault not the aftermarket. I'd certainly rather have a solution I can pay for than nothing at all. Now that is truly being forced to deal with it. If you want to point the finger you should start with the government regulations. I believe someone also suggested the default to ON may actually be required (or discouraged)? If true we'll have to keep relying on these adapters.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's FCA's fault not the aftermarket. I'd certainly rather have a solution I can pay for than nothing at all. Now that is truly being forced to deal with it. If you want to point the finger you should start with the government regulations. I believe someone also suggested the default to ON may actually be required (or discouraged)? If true we'll have to keep relying on these adapters.
Who said anything about it being the aftermarket's fault? I didn't imply it was SSS.com's fault, just that that is an inellegant and relatively costly solution for that one item that should have a simpler defeat method. It may be easier for some users, but again that's up to the individual, just like some of us do the dance to disable the seat-belts and others by a $5 seat belt extender to accomplish the same task.

Ultimately the implementation comes down to FCA even within a framework. There are already hacks, it's just a question of how much time, effort, and money you wanna invest.

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Could it be that the companies wouldn't be able to report the emissions and MPG gains from ESS if it was just an option that could be turned off permanently?
Yes, if ESS is not the default mode, the company has to certify MPG using the non ESS fuel economy.

Frankie L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
TL; DR

How quickly does ESS kick in? If you do a full stop at a stop sign (let's say 0.5 secs) does it shut off immediately, or only when more prolonged like stop & go traffic and red light?

Will this be on the JT also?

stewart

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler Rubicon Trailhawk Cherokee
Hi I have ESS on My UK Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.2 V6 Pentastar ! Its a real pain at times kicking in when you want to pull away quickly ! Most annoying is you can only turn it off each engine cycle ! On paper maybe it saves Co but the big issue here in UK and Europe now is NOX! The 3.6 Penastar in a Wrangler has a lower rating in the new Paris emission Zone than a euro 6 Diesel engine!

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Ikari Warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
So based on the dealer screen shots it looks like ESS will only come on the Pentastar V6 and the Diesel V6 engines, but not on the 2.0L 4cyl Hurricane engine?

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-jt-img_4011-jpg.jpg
Sponsored