Sponsored

How much better is the JL over the JK?

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I think a lot of you guys are acting like it's a big difference to make yourselves feel better? I test drove a new JLUR, and it was nice, but it wasn't THAT much different. Sure, it had better road manners and it was a bit more quiet, but you guys are acting like it's a leaf sprung truck to a Cadillac.

I'm not saying the JL isn't awesome, because it's a fantastic Jeep, and I'll probably own one someday in the future. It's just the JK-JL difference ride and comfort isn't to crazy different. To avoid a flame war, I want to point out this is only my opinion. Sure you guys might feel differently, and that's fine. I'm just stating what I found.
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I think a lot of you guys are acting like it's a big difference to make yourselves feel better? I test drove a new JLUR, and it was nice, but it wasn't THAT much different. Sure, it had better road manners and it was a bit more quiet, but you guys are acting like it's a leaf sprung truck to a Cadillac.

I'm not saying the JL isn't awesome, because it's a fantastic Jeep, and I'll probably own one someday in the future. It's just the JK-JL difference ride and comfort isn't to crazy different. To avoid a flame war, I want to point out this is only my opinion. Sure you guys might feel differently, and that's fine. I'm just stating what I found.
I think it also depends on your configuration. The manual in the JL is markedly better and different than the JK. That alone creates a drastically different driving experience for me. I find the steering and suspension in the JL to be significantly better and tighter than my JK - which I thought bounced and floated all over the road!! Add in all the new tech and creature comforts and my JL experience is much much different than the JK... in a very good way.

Of course everyone’s opinion is valid and different so get out there, drive one and make your own judgement!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

My JK for the most part is bone stock. I liked the JL I test drove a lot, but ride quality and steering didn't really stick out to me as noticeably different either way.
What's concerning is apparently there's a huge difference in suspension/steering quality between every JL. Some people think its a Cadillac and others want to Lemon Law it. It doesn't seem to be a "new to Jeep" thing as it appears both opinions are coming from people with a long history of Jeep ownership. Hopefully they get this squared away for the 2019s and make something more consistent.

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase

I respect your point. But coming from a CJ and every wrangler style they built, I even put better shocks on my Jk. My opinion is I’m not trying to feel better for spending $56,000 on my Rubicon. It’s just that I bought a 2016 JK sport S and crashed it bad in January. I didn’t think I would be seeing it again so I ordered the JLUR with every option because I was shaken up and wanted the safety features. I paid about $34,000 for the JK, but I put about $15,000 into it. So I actually spent about $50,000 on it. With the JLUR I don’t have to do anything to it. So I basically only spent $6000 more. That’s nothing to cry about. After all the mods I did for my JK I still get more with the JL. You get me. After $25,000 from my insurance company because they wouldn’t total the JK(it has to be 80% of blue book basically) I got it back about 3 1/2 months later with new frame and axles. Now I have both and like the JK because it’s manual and my JL is automatic so the whole family can use it. I tried to sell the JK but people won’t buy, in my opinion, a brand new Jeep because of the accident. So know I have two bills from Jeep. But I love the manual so I decided to keep it and give it to my nephew when he gets his license. So still having a heavily modded Jk and a stock JL Rubicon. I see everyday the difference. And in my opinion it is like a leaf springed truck compared to a Cadillac. In fact I have said before that it drives like a Cadillac. So that’s my story and opinion.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Are the road manners, off-road capability, gas mileage, and seat comfort night and day different? Maybe not. The steering is definitely different and I guess not for everybody. And some appear to have a wandering Jeep which would be a step back.

But the tech, styling, auto/manual transmission, exterior appeal, interior quality, and soft top operation are in another league. I have buddies with Willys, Sahara, and Rubicon JKs and they all agree that the JL is a home run.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FranklinFlyer

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Mostly Rubicons here, but what about the ride difference between the Saharas?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Are the road manners, off-road capability, gas mileage, and seat comfort night and day different? Maybe not. The steering is definitely different and I guess not for everybody. And some appear to have a wandering Jeep which would be a step back.

But the tech, styling, auto/manual transmission, exterior appeal, interior quality, and soft top operation are in another league. I have buddies with Willys, Sahara, and Rubicon JKs and they all agree that the JL is a home run.
Road manners (including steering): better
Off-road capability: similar
Gas mileage: better
Seat comfort: similar

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
IMAG0778.jpg
IMAG0778.jpg
screen_d9a41e3dedbd0d70_1526652104000.jpg
IMAG0773.jpg
screen_2c49c90eb65d856a_1526746778000.jpg
2018 JLU Sport BASE w/ only one option, AntiSpin/Axle. Paid under $30k. I owned a 2000 TJ (forever my sentimental favorite) and then 2012 JK (140k miles). My first 4 door after giving up on 2 door Rubi order (still not built 4 months after order).

I had it 2 weeks and took it to Jeep Jamboree for the 30th Palo Duro outside of Amarillo. Mods: MOPAR lift, RUBI takeoffs, and Rubi takeoff rock rails.

Incredible. over 1,000 miles from Austin and back in comfort. It wonders a bit on the highway with the vague steering, but quiet for a Wrangler, quiet tires, and just really nice. A big advance over my JK but part of that is he much longer wheel base. Also, roomier side to side.

It literally did anything off-road with NO trouble. I did not do any extreme stuff but definitely mild, moderate, technical, and some kinda hard. It ate everything. No lockers needed, no sway bar disconnect needed, nothing broken, and only a few scrapes of rockrails. The 2 inch lift and 33" tires were huge. It was interesting to hear the Rubi owners talk about the NEED for all that stuff on the CB as we approached obstacles. I am sure it is needed in pretty extreme situations but it is hard to imagine when the JLU would need it based on what it was capable of this weekend. It was refreshing - about $34k into a rig that can do almost anything you ask it to . . .

The JL Rubi with a basic lift will be a monster.

Also, my JK was a 5 speed AUTO. The JLU is the 6 speed. Off-road, the 6speed slays it with the 1st gear crawl up and down steep grades and whatever else you throw at it. I can't imagine another program. Around town, great. Highway - not great. The gearing from 3-6 is too tall for the sake of MPG. With the 33" tires you never need 6th gear and don't shift to 5th unless you are over 75mph. Even then, any strong head wind and a hill, you are shifting down to 4th at 70 to maintain speed.

I have ordered a Superwinch, and my GenRight bumper is waiting for it. Other than that, I could see a higher gear ratio/diffs and rear Eaton locker, but not needed at all. After the winch is installed, the mods end for a while.

P.S. pictures to be posted soon, my 18 year old daughter wheeled it most of the weekend, and she is a badass.

Last edited:

RMC

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU, 2016 JKU Rubicon, 1973 FJ40
I've had 2 JK and 2 JKUs...had 8 Jeeps total from a '67 Kaiser CJ-5, 78 Renegade, '88 Sahara, even have '73 Toyota Fj40........I traded my '16 JKUR in on the JLUR. As many have said, night and day difference.

Seeing the comments on the steering is making me think that it may take a while, for some, to get used to the electric power steering. I have it my Charger RT and got used to it in my son's Ram 1500 and 2500. Unless I'm completely crazy, the new JLUR has electric hydraulic power steering rack.

Besides that....the frame is better (fully boxed and powder coated), suspension, brakes (including the calipers), standard tires on the Rubicon, sound system (love Car Play), exhaust seems to be more free flowing, controls are nice, rear air vents (why did this take so long), the way the carpet is held in, and I'd say the seats are much better than any of my JKs (and the wife agrees).

I think my son had the best comment after driving mine and he had a 2012 JK; he said......."If you have a JK, don't drive a JL unless you want to buy one."

Short 1

First Name
Angi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
I traded my 2010, 2 door soft top sport for a 'family' sized Unlimited. It is a very different ride than what my previous baby provided, but the differences are not bad. I was expecting to slither all over the wet roads, hasn't happened; steering seems to be decent - plenty of leg room in the front and back. Seats are wider and the cargo space is phenomenal, as is the get up and go.
The top is so darn easy to take off and put back on I could cry, no more zippers and Velcro to mess with - I am pretty happy, but still wish I could have kept my 2 door. I miss the little red jeepy

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU
There are detail improvements in the JL and the difference between my 08 and the JLU engine and tranny wise is huge. That said I can't get rid of the 08. It has been modified, it is a clunky 6 speed stick and fun to drive to me (it has been re-geared), and it has a ton of memories tied to it. Bought it for 25k and came with an unlimited engine powertrain warranty, which has paid off well over the last 150k. So the strategy is to convince the wife the JLU is actually better than the Grand Cherokee Overland she has and... oh well.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
I have had:
'95 YJ m/t
'11 JK 2 door sport m/t
'18 JLU Sahara m/t

Obviously, no comparison with the YJ. That thing had 50k miles and shook like crazy at anything over 60, and you had to plant your foot to get it there.

The '18 is leagues above the '11 JK. It is a smoother more comfortable ride in every area. The soft top is significantly more quiet and easy to use. The new Aisin m/t performs tremendously better. The steering? Love it. It handles significantly better.

The only thing I liked better about the JK? It was a 2 door. But I did not have a kid then... now I do. That answers that.

This is an opinion thread. If someone doesnt like the steering and finds the JLU uncomfortable - good for them. Sounds like they should get a Tacoma/4Runner.

Labchic

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
Medical Laboratory technician
I'm afraid I disagree with this statement-

I had nothing but confidence in my '08 JKUR-from a Ruby VIRGIN to a highly modified JKUR, she was unquestionable/non-wavering and fully capable of every task-

I think the JL will be a cut above that and I'm ready to tackle any/all problems if need be--I plan to be just as proud of my JL as I was my JKUR-

Whatever

JIMBO
I have the new JLU and I love it. You will also

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
It's not my specific JLU. I test drove 3 separate ones. All had the exact same issue. If you do a Google search on "JL steering" your screen will blow up with results. Lots of people who go test drive a JL notice it immediately. The NHTSA has logged complaints about it already. Jeep has logged complaints about it. The big question is...what's going on? Is it actually the caster? I've read that they are releasing them from the factory below caster specs. Is it the steering stabilizer that needs time to wear in and loosen up a bit? I know it's not the tires because I test drove a few models all with different tires. There's clearly an issue. It's almost certain that in the coming months, FCA will issue a statement or "fix" regarding the issue. Stay tuned...

As far as the seat comfort, on paper the JL lost 1.7" of hip room. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in the world of automotive dimensions it's actually a really big loss of space and comfort in the driver seat. I'm not really sure what they did with that space we lost. Did they use it for the transmission tunnel to fit that 850RE trans. under there? I don't know, but I'd like to have it back. 2" wider and 2" more roof height and the JL would be so much better for men to drive.
My JLU has way better steering than my JKU. It seems to turn sharper. I work in the central business district and have to make u-turns to get to my parking garage. can now make u-turns that I could not make in one shot with my JKU. I had previously owned 3 JKUs and they were all the same. The steering is even better at high speeds. I have a bit of a lead foot and drive 80 to 85 on the interstate. I love the steering capabilities as well as the smooth ride. Another improvement is the relocation of the rear wiper and bigger rear windows on the hard top. I makes the JLU much easier to see out of for me.

Vintage

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
It does not surprise me that many complaints about steering have been made - I suspect by many that have never owned a Wrangler before . . . . Yes, it could be better on road as to the "vague middle" but off-road, it is perfect. My TJ was bad, my JK slightly better, and the JL, about the same.
Sponsored