Sponsored

Past JK Owners How Much Better Is The JL On Road?

SwrvnMrvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2015 Jeep Renegade Lattitude
I had a 2012 JK 2 door and now I have a JLU 4 door. I'm not sure if it's the longer wheelbase or something else, but my JLU is light years better than my JK as far as road manners. It's so much better than my JK that I don't even want to lift it. I'm just going to stick 33s under it, a pair of rock rails, and some skids and call it good. Maybe when I have to replace the 33s, I'll move to 35s and a lift.
Sponsored

ZukiSam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
I found the JL to feel significantly better on-road. I'm guessing that was mostly due to the use of lighter weight metals, especially up high on the body, I preferred the on-road handling of the base model compared to a high optioned model, likely due to its lighter weight and a lower center of gravity from its shorter tires and soft top. I'm a manual trans fan, but the 8 speed auto felt good enough to be tempting. Jeep is on the right track with the JL,

NYJEEPGIRL

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - Firecracker Red
I owned 3 JK's prior to my JLU rubicon. I had one 2 door JK and then 2 - of the unlimited 4 door JK's since 2007. The JL is so much nicer to drive then my JK's. Much better power, smoother shifting, and just rides so much better. The improvements they have made with this vehicle is noticeable. I had no intention of buying a new one until I test drove it and then it was all over. Bought it within a week after test driving. Love it, no regrets.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Thanks thats good feeback. How is the steering? The JL was suppose to get the new Hydro steering so did that tighten things up? or still a lot of play (on the JK there was about an inch of side to side play). Also still like driving a kite in windy conditions?
Your description of driving a kite in windy conditions is accurate. It gets more so the faster you drive and the more uneven the road surface. The inch or so of play in the steering is also about right. It does corner surprisingly well, given the above and around town it's precise and easy to handle, for a big vehicle. Please take my comments with a grain of salt as I have never driven a JKUR, only my new JLUR, which now has slightly more than 500 miles on it. I have, however, done a wide range of driving, but no off-roading, from bumpy dirt farm roads to highway driving at speeds up to about 75mph.

My JLUR has virtually every option and I will say the creature comforts are amazing given it's a Jeep. I took my 86 year old mom to lunch on Saturday and she was shocked at the level of comfort and features, she lives on a farm and is very tech savvy for her age.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have no doubt that around town the JL/JLU is much improved. My biggest concern is on long trips (3+ hours @ HWY speeds of 70-80 mph). My JKU while no luxury vehicle, dosen't bother me in the slightest around town (just wish it had better infotainment). Its my long trips into the mountains or to neighboring states that dose bother me. My JK hates doing 80 MPH (which is the speed limit here in ID as well as parts of MT, and UT) and add in cross winds and your going to have sore shoulders and sweaty hands do that for 3+ hours and you feel beat when you get out of the rig. I love driving a Jeep, and I even don't mind the quirks, but as someone that likes to explore as much as possible I end up doing these long drives a couple of times a month on average. I just really hate to have to get a full size truck because of this one issue.

I really need to head to the local dealership and find a JLUR and go test drive it I guess to make the final decision.

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I love it and am trying to talk my wife into trading her 2016 Honda Pilot in for another Jeep, so we'll have a matching pair. It has just as much tech and safety (minus collision mitigation and lane control) as the Pilot. The entertainment system is 100x better than the Pilot too.

Hope this helps.
I seriously doubt that your Honda Pilot only comes with 4 airbags. That is THE only thing I dislike about Wranglers - the JK only came with two, and two optional - now they "increased" to 4. Most cars nowadays come with 8-10 or even more. Other than that - an awesome vehicle for sure.

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have no doubt that around town the JL/JLU is much improved. My biggest concern is on long trips (3+ hours @ HWY speeds of 70-80 mph). My JKU while no luxury vehicle, dosen't bother me in the slightest around town (just wish it had better infotainment). Its my long trips into the mountains or to neighboring states that dose bother me. My JK hates doing 80 MPH (which is the speed limit here in ID as well as parts of MT, and UT) and add in cross winds and your going to have sore shoulders and sweaty hands do that for 3+ hours and you feel beat when you get out of the rig. I love driving a Jeep, and I even don't mind the quirks, but as someone that likes to explore as much as possible I end up doing these long drives a couple of times a month on average. I just really hate to have to get a full size truck because of this one issue.

I really need to head to the local dealership and find a JLUR and go test drive it I guess to make the final decision.

I just got back from a 3 hour trip to see my morning Mom in Arcade NY from
northeast Ohio. Lots of hills and highway. Much nicer to drive than my JKU. Got 21 mpg going 75-80 and the JL cruises. Step on it at 70 and it takes off. Lots of passing power. They hydro electric steering is less fatigue on my arms also. No more wandering busy steering. I have the base soft top and wind noise wasn’t too bad. Only once I had some wind sheer passing a semi that was hauling a big tank. Like oil/gas tank.
We drove the JKU cross country and I can’t wait to take the JL.

TERRAHAWK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler
Anyone that says the JL rides worse than the JK smoked their lunch. My JL on 35" E rated Toyo MT's rides better than any stock JKU by far. There is no comparison and anyone that says otherwise, is just lying or in denial or both.
Are you the same dude the "bastard" trolled so well over on JU?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
If they can make SA full size trucks drive nice why not the Wrangler? /QUOTE]

For one thing, the Wrangler is not a full-size truck. If you want that kind of ride, you're not going to get it in a Wrangler.

Sponsored

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 YJ, 2004 TJ, 2008 jKUR, 2018 JLUR (on order)
This thing is night and day difference regarding road quality from our 2008 JKUR. We had 35's with a 2.5" lift and the 3.8L and automatic with 5.38 gears and the thing was still a turd and sluggish. It ran like a champ and we never had a single mechanical issue with it for the 10yr we owned it. We moved to the JLUR in automatic which has 4.10 gears and we opted for the 8 speed automatic and slapped 35's on it and this thing rips. Its fast off the line and has plenty of mid range power to actually pass someone on the highway at highway speeds. It even climbs our steep mountain grades with ease and maintains 65mph without breaking a sweat. The steering is nice and tight and it just plain works! Another thing someone may or may not have mentioned is the visibility of blind spots with the hard top. Huge improvement with cleaning up all the blind spots on the JL vs the JK. I can see everything around me where the JK had plenty of nasty blind spots. There is no debate which one drives better. the JL hands down blows our old JK away. Here are pics of our old '08 JK and our new '18 JL.

MVIMG_20180514_131136.jpg

IMG_1900.JPG

aqualung

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep JKU
This thing is night and day difference regarding road quality from our 2008 JKUR. We had 35's with a 2.5" lift and the 3.8L and automatic with 5.38 gears and the thing was still a turd and sluggish. It ran like a champ and we never had a single mechanical issue with it for the 10yr we owned it. We moved to the JLUR in automatic which has 4.10 gears and we opted for the 8 speed automatic and slapped 35's on it and this thing rips. Its fast off the line and has plenty of mid range power to actually pass someone on the highway at highway speeds. It even climbs our steep mountain grades with ease and maintains 65mph without breaking a sweat. The steering is nice and tight and it just plain works! Another thing someone may or may not have mentioned is the visibility of blind spots with the hard top. Huge improvement with cleaning up all the blind spots on the JL vs the JK. I can see everything around me where the JK had plenty of nasty blind spots. There is no debate which one drives better. the JL hands down blows our old JK away. Here are pics of our old '08 JK and our new '18 JL.

MVIMG_20180514_131136.jpg

IMG_1900.JPG
I think the JL has nicer body lines. Never noticed how bland the JK was until the JL.
Sponsored

Last edited: