Sponsored

How much better is the JL over the JK?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I've had a YJ, ZJ, WJ, and two JKUs in terms of solid axle Jeeps. In my opinion, the JLU is only marginally better.

The handling/steering is HORRIBLE in the JLU. I'm starting to believe that it may be due to the front suspension and caster changes. I always read that the JKU was set to roughly 4.5° of caster from the factory. I poked around under my JLU last night with an angle tool and couldn't find anywhere near that amount of caster on my new Jeep. There are countless complaints online about terrible JLU steering. It's obviously a real issue, not a make believe one. At my first oil change, I will ask the dealership to check my alignment so I can get concrete caster numbers and see where I'm at.

The ride quality is firmer on JLU compared to my JKUs, and it's uneasy going into curves. I've owned dozens of vehicles of all types and I'm big into Mustangs so I'm very accustomed to driving curvy roads. The JLU is the first vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't feel planted in curves. It's a little un-nerving to be honest. I definitely wouldn't push this vehicle in the rain.

The interior comfort is worse on JLU. The seat/hip width is noticeably less. The leg room is worse. I have plenty of headroom at the Freedom Panels but I worry about hitting my head and killing myself on the sport bars in a crash. (6'3" and 225 lbs). The seats are not as cushioned. The back of the seat is as flat as a sheet of plywood. Overall, the JKU was very good for me on long trips. The JLU is a 30 minute or less vehicle only. This is the one area that I'm most disappointed.

Now, for the good stuff, they have clearly fixed the little issues that people griped about on JK. They've tried to improve all the little things that people notice in daily life. Better headlights, less chance for death wobble, no more "hammock" in the 2nd row center seating position, more angle to the 2nd row seatback, nicer looking fender flares, better designs on the tops to make them easier to use, door stops to hold the doors open while you're entering the vehicle, better audio systems, more information in the dash display, FAR better transmissions, better standard axle ratio, LED lighting for license plate, interior, etc. standard, better fuel economy (this is a big surprise for me...the JK was already great and the JL is about 2 MPG better for me so far), tire sizes that are common for a change and easy to find, cabin HVAC filter standard on more models, etc. etc. Just a lot of little changes that make the JL a better daily vehicle.

When I got mine in mid April, there was a JKU sitting right next to it. It was a tough choice. After a month with my JLU, if I had it to do all over again, it would still be a very tough choice. While I do appreciate the little things FCA has done to make the JL better, the fact is that the JK is cheaper, more comfortable, drives better, and already has a million aftermarket parts available.
Thanks for the honest and well-explained evaluation.

I've only driven one JL, and didn't pay huge attention to the steering. Was yours delivered with excessive tire pressure, as many others were? The issues overs have been having with "sudden quick lockups" is startling, though.

I'm going to be driving another before finally placing a 2 door order, which is good, as the "new car smell" will have worn off.
Sponsored

mquinn13

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I have owed CJ’s, YJ’s, TJ’s, and I’ve had a few JK’s since 2007 when they came out. For those of you that spent a bunch of time in a JK, how much better is the JL and why? And specifically the unlimited Rubicon which is the JK I’ve had for years. I’ve seen bits and pieces of this question, but I wanted to make a thread where past JK owners can tell their opinions on everything from driving, off-roading, interior, exterior, everything.
Thank you,
Chris
I think there are so many little things that were well thought out that make it worth the extra money. i.e. something as small as the center console buttons are intuitive or no more screws for the freedom panels. I think after driving it for a week I had noticed most of these little things,

kdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon JLU (ordered), F430, 2012 JKU
Have a 2012 JKU and now a 2018 JLUR. For me the biggest differences, in no order are:

1) . Interior finish is really much, much nicer. Better leather, dash, instrumentation, etc.
2) . Electronics including screen, Carplay, and overall functionality are dramatically better, and better than most vehicles i have seen (including BMW and Cadillac)
3) . Drivability overall is much better. The 8 speed transmission makes it much quicker (youtube it) and it always seems to be in the right gear thus MUCH smoother overall.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Difference is pretty noticeable. Keep in mind the JK model is on an 11 year old platform at this point, and it's noticeable.

JL feels faster, handles better, is more comfortable, has better tech (although I'm not a fan of the ESS) and a better tranny.

The extra $3k for the JL is well worth it when you consider it's completely redesigned.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
It's not my specific JLU. I test drove 3 separate ones. All had the exact same issue. If you do a Google search on "JL steering" your screen will blow up with results. Lots of people who go test drive a JL notice it immediately. The NHTSA has logged complaints about it already. Jeep has logged complaints about it. The big question is...what's going on? Is it actually the caster? I've read that they are releasing them from the factory below caster specs. Is it the steering stabilizer that needs time to wear in and loosen up a bit? I know it's not the tires because I test drove a few models all with different tires. There's clearly an issue. It's almost certain that in the coming months, FCA will issue a statement or "fix" regarding the issue. Stay tuned...

As far as the seat comfort, on paper the JL lost 1.7" of hip room. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in the world of automotive dimensions it's actually a really big loss of space and comfort in the driver seat. I'm not really sure what they did with that space we lost. Did they use it for the transmission tunnel to fit that 850RE trans. under there? I don't know, but I'd like to have it back. 2" wider and 2" more roof height and the JL would be so much better for men to drive.
Only thing I can say is our 2018 JLUR is nothing even remotely the way you described whatever it is you were driving or test drove. Seats are BETTER, leather BETTER, audio, axles, ground clearance, transfer case, SWB disconnect, the speed at which the lockers engage and disengage, short throw shift levers. Ok and the ability to install 37" tires with no other change than a 2.5 inch lift or 35s from bone stock, Fenders better with way more clearance, soft top WAY better, better factory tires, more lock to lock steering and turning radius. not even going to adrress the gearing as in higher quality gears( Dana adventec) and thicker axle tubes......off the top of my head.

Yes do stay tuned. The aftermarket world is playing catch up and are beginning too quite quickly.

Sponsored

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
It's not my specific JLU. I test drove 3 separate ones. All had the exact same issue. If you do a Google search on "JL steering" your screen will blow up with results. Lots of people who go test drive a JL notice it immediately. The NHTSA has logged complaints about it already. Jeep has logged complaints about it. The big question is...what's going on? Is it actually the caster? I've read that they are releasing them from the factory below caster specs. Is it the steering stabilizer that needs time to wear in and loosen up a bit? I know it's not the tires because I test drove a few models all with different tires. There's clearly an issue. It's almost certain that in the coming months, FCA will issue a statement or "fix" regarding the issue. Stay tuned...

As far as the seat comfort, on paper the JL lost 1.7" of hip room. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in the world of automotive dimensions it's actually a really big loss of space and comfort in the driver seat. I'm not really sure what they did with that space we lost. Did they use it for the transmission tunnel to fit that 850RE trans. under there? I don't know, but I'd like to have it back. 2" wider and 2" more roof height and the JL would be so much better for men to drive.
Yes i know that there are concerns with steering on some JLs, but it is a defect and not the rule. Even if a batch was built with the defect, the inherent design/intention of the JL should not have steering issues, and should have good steering as noted by reviewers etc. So my point is, the fact that there are some JLs with bad steering does not meant that the JL has bad steering, just that a batch of JLs has faulty steering that will be corrected to the good steering all other JLs have.

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
I've had a YJ, ZJ, WJ, and two JKUs in terms of solid axle Jeeps. In my opinion, the JLU is only marginally better.

The handling/steering is HORRIBLE in the JLU. I'm starting to believe that it may be due to the front suspension and caster changes. I always read that the JKU was set to roughly 4.5° of caster from the factory. I poked around under my JLU last night with an angle tool and couldn't find anywhere near that amount of caster on my new Jeep. There are countless complaints online about terrible JLU steering. It's obviously a real issue, not a make believe one. At my first oil change, I will ask the dealership to check my alignment so I can get concrete caster numbers and see where I'm at.

The ride quality is firmer on JLU compared to my JKUs, and it's uneasy going into curves. I've owned dozens of vehicles of all types and I'm big into Mustangs so I'm very accustomed to driving curvy roads. The JLU is the first vehicle I've ever owned that doesn't feel planted in curves. It's a little un-nerving to be honest. I definitely wouldn't push this vehicle in the rain.

The interior comfort is worse on JLU. The seat/hip width is noticeably less. The leg room is worse. I have plenty of headroom at the Freedom Panels but I worry about hitting my head and killing myself on the sport bars in a crash. (6'3" and 225 lbs). The seats are not as cushioned. The back of the seat is as flat as a sheet of plywood. Overall, the JKU was very good for me on long trips. The JLU is a 30 minute or less vehicle only. This is the one area that I'm most disappointed.

Now, for the good stuff, they have clearly fixed the little issues that people griped about on JK. They've tried to improve all the little things that people notice in daily life. Better headlights, less chance for death wobble, no more "hammock" in the 2nd row center seating position, more angle to the 2nd row seatback, nicer looking fender flares, better designs on the tops to make them easier to use, door stops to hold the doors open while you're entering the vehicle, better audio systems, more information in the dash display, FAR better transmissions, better standard axle ratio, LED lighting for license plate, interior, etc. standard, better fuel economy (this is a big surprise for me...the JK was already great and the JL is about 2 MPG better for me so far), tire sizes that are common for a change and easy to find, cabin HVAC filter standard on more models, etc. etc. Just a lot of little changes that make the JL a better daily vehicle.

When I got mine in mid April, there was a JKU sitting right next to it. It was a tough choice. After a month with my JLU, if I had it to do all over again, it would still be a very tough choice. While I do appreciate the little things FCA has done to make the JL better, the fact is that the JK is cheaper, more comfortable, drives better, and already has a million aftermarket parts available.
You’re son serious drugs

Dice23

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler Sport S with a 2 1/2” lift and 35 inch tires
Occupation
Clerk on the NYSE
Vehicle Showcase
You’re son serious drugs
I meant you’re on serious drugs. Dude, let it go! The JL is much better and you’ll full of shit

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You’re son serious drugs
Eh, he's not really wrong about interior comfort. The JL does have less room up front and the seats are pretty firm. That doesn't mean the interior doesn't kick ass; design-wise the JL's interior is phenomenally better than the JK. But as far as the seats are concerned and general comfort? Compared to the JK, the JL doesn't improve upon this much at all.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Eh, he's not really wrong about interior comfort. The JL does have less room up front and the seats are pretty firm. That doesn't mean the interior doesn't kick ass; design-wise the JL's interior is phenomenally better than the JK. But as far as the seats are concerned and general comfort? Compared to the JK, the JL doesn't improve upon this much at all.
Just like a mattress, the opinion of comfort is just that an opinion, Or does someone say you Will like a softer seat, and your arse is so wide you Must have 1.5 inches more width. (Subjective it is ) . My Wife and I both like these seats better than the JKU we have and the JKUR we lost, And that is our opinion.

Sponsored

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR

Test driving does not equal poor handling. The tires aren’t even broken in yet. Let alone drive train. Big tires take a while to conform to the suspension geometery of any vehicle. 2.5k miles on mine and handling has only gotten better. And I did google “JL steering” and you’re right, my screen did blow up with results, but not negative ones... You either have an isolated warranty issue, or you’re being too picky. Nothing to “stay tuned” about. It’s still a Jeep.
Why are you worried about your head hitting the sport bar in a crash? No data to support this fear.
And you’re comparing this vehicle to mustangs in the corners? What were you expecting? To “push this vehicle in the rain”? Unrealistic expectations to say the least.
Although I do agree with you about leg/hip room. Suggestion for taller guys, lower seat all the way, move forward/back for leg travel, and seat back recline adjust so your wrist is at 12 o’ clock on the wheel at rest.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I have a strong hunch that the "steering problems" many report are due to tire inflation pressure; specifically, too much of it. Tires are over-inflated by as much as 10 lb at the factory and the make-ready folks at dealerships never adjust them down to manufacturer specs. You'll encounter this with every new vehicle, not just Jeep.

All five tires on my JLU Sport were at 41-42 lb cold vs. the specified 36 lb. Check your tire pressure.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a strong hunch that the "steering problems" many report are due to tire inflation pressure; specifically, too much of it. Tires are over-inflated by as much as 10 lb at the factory and the make-ready folks at dealerships never adjust them down to manufacturer specs. You'll encounter this with every new vehicle, not just Jeep.

All five tires on my JLU Sport were at 41-42 lb cold vs. the specified 36 lb. Check your tire pressure.
This, also!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Thanks for the honest and well-explained evaluation.

I've only driven one JL, and didn't pay huge attention to the steering. Was yours delivered with excessive tire pressure, as many others were? The issues overs have been having with "sudden quick lockups" is startling, though.

I'm going to be driving another before finally placing a 2 door order, which is good, as the "new car smell" will have worn off.
I meant you’re on serious drugs. Dude, let it go! The JL is much better and you’ll full of shit
Test driving does not equal poor handling. The tires aren’t even broken in yet. Let alone drive train. Big tires take a while to conform to the suspension geometery of any vehicle. 2.5k miles on mine and handling has only gotten better. And I did google “JL steering” and you’re right, my screen did blow up with results, but not negative ones... You either have an isolated warranty issue, or you’re being too picky. Nothing to “stay tuned” about. It’s still a Jeep.
Why are you worried about your head hitting the sport bar in a crash? No data to support this fear.
And you’re comparing this vehicle to mustangs in the corners? What were you expecting? To “push this vehicle in the rain”? Unrealistic expectations to say the least.
Although I do agree with you about leg/hip room. Suggestion for taller guys, lower seat all the way, move forward/back for leg travel, and seat back recline adjust so your wrist is at 12 o’ clock on the wheel at rest.

You can feel the love in here. :) Hahaha.

No, it's not the tires and it's not tire pressures. My tires are at 37 but it's hot outside so I would expect that. And, I've got almost 1,500 miles on the JL so I've done more than a "test drive" in them.

You can call me "full of shit" if you want, but I've owned more Jeeps than probably everybody in this thread combined and I have worked on all my own stuff so I know what I'm talking about.

It's an issue, and yes, we'll probably be hearing about it soon. There are only 2 recalls on JLs so far which is pretty good for a FCA vehicle launch, but there'll be more coming this summer I'm sure considering that EVERY Jeep forum on the Web has complaints about the terrible steering/handling on these models.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can feel the love in here. :) Hahaha.

No, it's not the tires and it's not tire pressures. My tires are at 37 but it's hot outside so I would expect that. And, I've got almost 1,500 miles on the JL so I've done more than a "test drive" in them.

You can call me "full of shit" if you want, but I've owned more Jeeps than probably everybody in this thread combined and I have worked on all my own stuff so I know what I'm talking about.

It's an issue, and yes, we'll probably be hearing about it soon. There are only 2 recalls on JLs so far which is pretty good for a FCA vehicle launch, but there'll be more coming this summer I'm sure considering that EVERY Jeep forum on the Web has complaints about the terrible steering/handling on these models.
Like I said, if yours is that bad you might have a warranty issue on your hands. Better get it looked at.
Sponsored