Sponsored

Foolish salesperson

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I recently went to a BMW dealer to look at options to replace my aging MDX. They didn't have any X7's to sit in, and there was an X5 sitting on the showroom floor. I popped the hood, saw of course one of those massive covers that hides everything. With my experience on the MDX requiring a contortionist to see, let alone pull the dipstick, I looked for the X5's dipstick. Not seeing one, I asked this very wet-behind-the-ears sales rep, "Where's the dipstick?" He replied, "I don't know."

Apparently BMW doesn't train their sales people on such basic information. You have to talk to a "Product Genius." I did find out that the X5 doesn't have a dipstick, it relies upon an electronic sensor. "What happens if the sensor fails?" He replied, "I don't know, I prefer a dipstick myself."

I vouch for the comments that we lowly customers have to do our own research. I just don't know what the role of the salesperson is, other than to enter my name and address in his computer so that the sales manager can either discount or markup (as the case with many cars now) the price from MSRP. It's just kind of strange that I would know more about a vehicle than the person paid to sell them.

One last dipstick story: My MDX has a dipstick, but as noted, difficult to reach and thus it doesn't get checked often enough. Especially with 117K miles, oil consumption has gone up. One time I was down about two quarts (shame on me) and had to make a hard, sharp left turn in slow traffic. A "Low Oil" warning light came on! The sharp turn obviously starved an oil level sensor inside the engine, triggering the light. In the owner's manual Acura says that an "Oil Level Warning" light that comes on with "Low Oil Pressure" indication, but they don't mention that there is a dedicated oil level sensor. It's beneficial to have it as a backup to the dipstick! (And far more failsafe than one electronic sensor like BMW.)

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Go to any Harley shop and model numbers are the norm. Most Harley salespeople know what a FLHR is. If Jeep salesmen don’t know their model designation of $60k+ vehicle they are trying to sell then they don’t know their product.
Apples to oranges. FXR, XL, FLHR etc are factory-issued model designations. JLURD is an acronym invented by the internet because we are too lazy to type JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel.

It's often said that there is no such thing as a stupid question. Maybe so, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots out there...

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Foolish salesperson 1632061747627

All in good fun.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday, I wanted to test drive a diesel wrangler. According to a dealers website there were a couple rubicon’s on the lot so off I went.

Me - I am looking for a JLURD
salesman - So your looking for a right side drive. We don’t have any.
Me - Why would you think I am looking for a right ride drive?
slaesman - ooo, I don’t know
Me- Do you have any diesel rubicon’s?
salesman- no

I decided to call the next dealer by phone before driving across town.

Me- Hi, I would like to talk to a salesman that knows wranglers.
saleswoman- You can talk to a saleswoman, how can I help?
Me- Do you know what a JLURD is?
saleswoman- a URD? What is that?
Me- Are there any diesel wranglers I can test drive?
saleswoman- All wranglers arriving are orders only, no dealer allocations. Lead time is 90 days.

With the slowdown in inventory I am sure dealerships are loosing experienced salesmen that are seeking different jobs to provide an income. When I bought my JKU in 2013 my salesman was a jeeper. He knew gear ratios, axles, and options of all wrangler models. Today, it really helps to do your own research ahead of time.
I’d cut dealers some slack in this particular case.

JLURD is a term used mostly on forums; hardly anyone uses that terminology in real life.

Keep in mind about one million JLs have been sold by now, so we on here represent less than 1% of the Wrangler owner population in circulation. And, apparently, we have hardly any salespeople in our midst.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I would never call a dealer and ask if they have any Jeep models in stock that I might want to see, or drive. I do go to there websites and check out there inventories and see what they might have, do note this, there websites may, or may not be correct, but it's a start. I will call an ask for an internet person, they usually have better knowledge of the inventory and in most cases they can make deals, where sales persons are just a go between to the sales manger. Most internet sales persons have inventory sheets and on order sheets to give you the information they have available to them, where sales personal are pretty helpless here and have to visit the sales mgr. All being said, just trying to save both money and time in buying a vehicle, which is not easily done today.

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
Not sure why I care if the salesperson knows about JLURD or other trims. I am only setting foot into the dealer when I ready to buy or calling them to make an appointment.
I get my real research done at jlwranglerforums.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Before I bought my JL, I stopped by my local Jeep dealer, which is NOT very good, to take a look at a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 they had on the lot.

I saw online that it had the factory rock rails. When I got there and asked only a couple of specific questions, they handed me over to their Grand Cherokee “expert.” After a couple of back-and-forths, their local expert couldn’t confirm if the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk came with a standard rear LSD, or if this this particular unit had the rock rails.

But the simple fact is Grand Cherokee alone has 10 different trim levels, Wrangler has 14, Gladiator and Ram have 12 each. Each has 3, 4 or 5 different engine options, and often standard equipment varies with each engine. To make it even worse, increasingly, FCA makes minor changes to the standard equipment.

Bottom line is: I don’t expect salespeople to memorize every single permutation available. But I expect them to be courteous and honest. It is okay to say “let me double check that for you” instead of making crap up.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
First rule of sales … don’t offend your customer. The only exception would be if they are being abusive to your staff.
That would be the second rule of sales: walk away from asshole customers.

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Apparently BMW doesn't train their sales people on such basic information. You have to talk to a "Product Genius." I did find out that the X5 doesn't have a dipstick, it relies upon an electronic sensor. "What happens if the sensor fails?" He replied, "I don't know, I prefer a dipstick myself."
I can tell you from owning a BMW myself. That oil level sensor probably has another sensor letting you know if it fails. They have sensors for everything. The car will tell you everything it needs and people still neglect them. Most people probably go way past their service dates on certain things and the BMW will give you constant notifications.

Service is overpriced, but probably the safest cars on the road. They are built solid and I would buy another. Don't buy one if you're the type of person that tends to procrastinate on services.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I recently went to a BMW dealer to look at options to replace my aging MDX. They didn't have any X7's to sit in, and there was an X5 sitting on the showroom floor. I popped the hood, saw of course one of those massive covers that hides everything. With my experience on the MDX requiring a contortionist to see, let alone pull the dipstick, I looked for the X5's dipstick. Not seeing one, I asked this very wet-behind-the-ears sales rep, "Where's the dipstick?" He replied, "I don't know."

I vouch for the comments that we lowly customers have to do our own research. I just don't know what the role of the salesperson is, other than to enter my name and address in his computer so that the sales manager can either discount or markup (as the case with many cars now) the price from MSRP. It's just kind of strange that I would know more about a vehicle than the person paid to sell them.

One last dipstick story: My MDX has a dipstick, but as noted, difficult to reach and thus it doesn't get checked often enough. Especially with 117K miles, oil consumption has gone up. One time I was down about two quarts (shame on me) and had to make a hard, sharp left turn in slow traffic. A "Low Oil" warning light came on! The sharp turn obviously starved an oil level sensor inside the engine, triggering the light. In the owner's manual Acura says that an "Oil Level Warning" light that comes on with "Low Oil Pressure" indication, but they don't mention that there is a dedicated oil level sensor. It's beneficial to have it as a backup to the dipstick! (And far more failsafe than one electronic sensor like BMW.)
Instead of “salesperson” some dealers are now using the term “vehicle demonstrator.”

As in “we need to keep a warm body next to you when you wander the lot and go on test drive.”

That’s all most dealers expect a salesperson to do these days so, unfortunately, that’s usually all we get: a warm body.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Asking for JLURD told me more about what the salesperson knows about wranglers. I didn’t waste my time and they could go back to kicking rocks in the empty parking lot.
Be glad you didnt get a 392 noone knows much about them including service departments right now... but its the consumers job to do their due diligence before buying IMO. Shame jeep didnt gave a more informed staff to help you but you prob knew what you wanted anyways.
I will tell you if a salesperson does not know the product I'll find someone on the property that does. Not much irks me worse on a vehicle lot than stupid person that does not know the product they are trying to sell. It rates right up there with the finance jerk trying to sell inflated products like window etching and immobilizer's.

Here is an example of a dumb salesmen:

Salesmen: "This bike was raced by Jeremy McGrath. Feel the snap (of the throttle)!!"

Me: "Wow!! I can feel a better snap on my 20 year old XR200."

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Instead of “salesperson” some dealers are now using the term “vehicle demonstrator.”

As in “we need to keep a warm body next to you when you wander the lot and go on test drive.”

That’s all most dealers expect a salesperson to do these days so, unfortunately, that’s usually all we get: a warm body.
They should use the same for realtors and cut the 6% commission.