Sponsored

Trickle charging the 4xe?

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
Is there any reason to hook up the 12v to a battery tender? Seems not.
Sponsored

Bartholomew

First Name
Bartholomew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The Level 1 charger is pretty much a trickle charger. How long are you planning on it sitting in the garage between drives?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Midding

When you park your 4xe for weeks at a time.... for say more then even a couple of weeks (unused) is when you would especially want to use a charger/maintainer on it...

Your owner's manual must address what to do in regard to extended storage of your 4xe. Suggest you carefully read your owner's manual...

OP
OP

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Midding

When you park your 4xe for weeks at a time.... for say more then even a couple of weeks (unused) is when you would especially want to use a charger/maintainer on it...

Your owner's manual must address what to do in regard to extended storage of your 4xe. Suggest you carefully read your owner's manual...

From the manual;

NOTE:

The hybrid has a feature of periodic wake-up that occurs every three weeks. This feature charges the 12 Volt battery from the HV battery. This will happen as long as the HV battery remains above the minimum state of charge.

OP
OP

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Level 1 charger is pretty much a trickle charger. How long are you planning on it sitting in the garage between drives?
I don’t have a time frame in mind I’ve always hooked up a battery tender to my vehicles. In this case I don’t want to cause harm or interrupt what should be happening between batteries. Will have to research/seek help before I hook one up.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From the manual;

NOTE:

The hybrid has a feature of periodic wake-up that occurs every three weeks. This feature charges the 12 Volt battery from the HV battery. This will happen as long as the HV battery remains above the minimum state of charge.
@Midding

It all comes down to how long the 4xe sits unused.. You asked is there any reason to hook up the 12v to a battery tender......

For sure there is.... I know there is no harm, no foul and only lots to be gained so to speak, placing a 12v battery that is going to sit for many days / weeks on a battery tender/maintainer... At the least the battery health will be better thanks to maintaining it over those long dormant periods.

You will do no harm... or lets say mess with / disrupt the 4xe if you were to use a 12v maintainer/tender on the 12v battery during storage times.

OP
OP

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Midding

It all comes down to how long the 4xe sits unused.. You asked is there any reason to hook up the 12v to a battery tender......

For sure there is.... I know there is no harm, no foul and only lots to be gained so to speak, placing a 12v battery that is going to sit for many days / weeks on a battery tender/maintainer... At the least the battery health will be better thanks to maintaining it over those long dormant periods.

You will do no harm... or lets say mess with / disrupt the 4xe if you were to use a 12v maintainer/tender on the 12v battery during storage times.

So if I leave the HV battery plugged in for longer term storage, theoretically it will take care of the 12v. For shorter durations, 1-2wks, use a 12v battery tender?

No set plans for storage, just trying to increase my knowledge base about the 4xe and the battery interplay.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if I leave the HV battery plugged in for longer term storage, theoretically it will take care of the 12v. For shorter durations, 1-2wks, use a 12v battery tender?

No set plans for storage, just trying to increase my knowledge base about the 4xe and the battery interplay.
@Midding

I have not read though the owner's manual in regard to the 4xe. I know the manual for JL that I have read specifically states how to handle long term (I think it is 17 days or more) storage. Battery(s) disconnection is recommended by FCA.

What does your manual that came with the 4xe say?

As for your or any JL.... sitting for say 1-2 weeks .... it should not be an issue battery(s) wise as long as... again as long as the battery(s) were healthy and fully charged when you initially parked the vehicle... IF not, you will probably be faced with a no start situation if the vehicle sits more then a few day.... or 1-2 weeks like you mention..

Probably best rule of thumb is... if the vehicle is going to be sitting for awhile and you have the vehicle in a place where you can connect it to a low output, smart, battery tender/maintainer, why not ace your bet so to speak and hook up the battery tender/maintainer...

No harm, no foul doing so... and your battery(s) will be healthier for it and you will be less apt to be caught in a no start situation due to depleted battery(s).

Sponsored