Sponsored

Trim Choices and Future Modifications

Khuemann

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL - Mojito! (Ordered 5/7/18)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I am getting ready to order my Mojito Jeep but I had a few questions on trim levels and future modifications before I order.

Right now I live in Chicago; however, I plan on moving to Colorado within the next couple of years. I mention this, because I have been leaning on getting the Sahara model. When I do move to Colorado, I may want to modify my Jeep for the trails. I don't plan on doing serious rock crawling, but maybe some easy to moderate trails. (As this will be my primary vehicle, I don't want to risk flipping)

These are the current options I am looking at for my Sahara Jeep:
  • 8 Speed Auto
  • LED Lighting Group
  • Safety Group
  • Tow/Heavy Duty Electronic Group
  • Remote Proximity Keyless
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Black 3 Piece Hard Top
  • Alpine Premium Audio
  • All Season Floor Matts
Right now with the options I want, the Rubicon sits at about $2,500 more then the Sahara.

My questions are the following:
  1. Can front and rear lockers be installed easily on the Sahara model after the fact? And how much would this cost in the future.
  2. Can sway bar release be installed on the Sahara model in the future? And how much would this cost?
  3. I know the Rubicon's fenders are higher then on the Rubicon model. Can the fenders be raised to match the Rubicon's fender heights, or are the body styles inherently different and unchangeable without after market fenders? I do like the body color fenders, thats why I am asking.
  4. Are lift kits cheaper or easier to install on Rubicons vs Saharas?
  5. I am also considering getting both a soft top and hard top for my jeep. However, I had some questions on the premium soft top. Can the premium soft top open up and lay flat without taking the back three panels off? It would be nice if I didn't want to bother removing these panels but just wanted the top portion opened up. However, after watching some of the demonstration videos, it appears as though the premium top "locks" in a upward position until the latch in the back is released (ie the panels are removed). This doesn't appear to be drive-able in this configuration.
  6. Does anyone know if it will be easy to obtain used premium soft tops at a better discount then jeep is offering?
  7. What is the the non-premium or standard soft top. How difficult is this to remove and can the top be removed without removing the back? I can't seem to find any videos or pictures of it. If these could be purchased used as Jeep owners upgrade their tops, it may be worth while.
  8. Are there any hard or soft top configurations in aftermarket, that are worth looking into?
  9. Should I just spend my money now on a Rubicon? Does one model have better resale value. I know that the rubicon also gets improved tires, which may also give reason to upgrade. I want to know others thoughts on this.
Also its worth noting that I am in my 20's and a $50,000 vehicle is already giving me heart burn, but It has been my dream car for a while.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
The mods you want to do - adding lockers, sway bars, etc - are going to be way more expensive (I think) down the road than including now in a purchase.

I built a Sahara with your options, and a Rubicon with your options - on the Rubicon I left out the Infotainment system ("premium audio") because it comes with an 8-speaker system and a 7" screen. It's a $1500 option that gets your prices pretty close to the same;

cost-compare.PNG

top price is Rubicon, bottom is Sahara (from navyfederal site)

So - for under $1k more, and dropping the 8.4" infotainment, you get a TON more offroad capability from a Rubicon (some of which sounds like you want to add in the near future anyway). Don't forget Rubicon you also get 'better' offroad gearing, stronger axles, higher fenders, etc.

If I were you - I'd strongly consider getting a Rubicon from the start; if you're looking for offroad capable it's more capable off the lot than many others after upgrades. The Sport/Sahara are offroad-capable as well - but for the price, you could easily get a Rubicon pretty close with the same features as a Sahara and have way more capability.

if you were looking to replace axles, add after-market lockers for some reason, put on after-market tires and rims, and basically replace most of what a Rubicon has to offer - then a Sport or Sahara makes sense. But turning a Sahara into a Rubicon'ish - makes more financial sense to go with the Rubi from the start

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
The mods you want to do - adding lockers, sway bars, etc - are going to be way more expensive (I think) down the road than including now in a purchase.

I built a Sahara with your options, and a Rubicon with your options - on the Rubicon I left out the Infotainment system ("premium audio") because it comes with an 8-speaker system and a 7" screen. It's a $1500 option that gets your prices pretty close to the same;

cost-compare.PNG

top price is Rubicon, bottom is Sahara (from navyfederal site)

So - for under $1k more, and dropping the 8.4" infotainment, you get a TON more offroad capability from a Rubicon (some of which sounds like you want to add in the near future anyway). Don't forget Rubicon you also get 'better' offroad gearing, stronger axles, higher fenders, etc.

If I were you - I'd strongly consider getting a Rubicon from the start; if you're looking for offroad capable it's more capable off the lot than many others after upgrades. The Sport/Sahara are offroad-capable as well - but for the price, you could easily get a Rubicon pretty close with the same features as a Sahara and have way more capability.

if you were looking to replace axles, add after-market lockers for some reason, put on after-market tires and rims, and basically replace most of what a Rubicon has to offer - then a Sport or Sahara makes sense. But turning a Sahara into a Rubicon'ish - makes more financial sense to go with the Rubi from the start
Yes this a million times over. I do not understand why people buy a Sahara and then dump $6k into it to make it a Saharicon.

OP
OP
Khuemann

Khuemann

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL - Mojito! (Ordered 5/7/18)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Will I have clearance to do most of the trails in Colorado without a lift?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
A Rubicon is extremely capable right out of the box. I'd say it can handle any "moderate" trail. And you can get more stock clearance by going up an inch or two on tire size.

For your future plans I'd say get a Rubicon. Factory gearing and lockers are more reliable, cheaper, and carry a warranty than aftermarket. And big tires really appreciate the HD axles and differential ratios.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
additionally, a 2" Mopar lift (more expensive but available now and is Mopar) on a Rubicon is, I believe, equivalent to a 3-4" lift on Sahara trim. A 2" lift on a Rubicon is install the lift and install 37's; to do the same on a Sahara is a lot more involved (fenders, lot of other parts, etc)

I've watch a LOT of video of a Rubicon with a 2.5" Evo Boost lift (I think that's it - positive on the height) sitting on 37's. a YouTuber going by [Banned Site] is a Jeeper who has some videos from stock to 2.5" lift with 37s. There's another one of a stock Rubi crawling some pretty amazing stuff.

So I would say a Rubicon - stock - will handle most trails in Colorado you want to do that aren't designed to break things or you shouldn't be on; even then I think you'd get a run for your money out of it. Go browse some YouTube and search "Rubicon JL trail" or something and you'll see; I've yet to see a single Sahara doing any of it.
Sponsored