How did you decide on your engine?

lott

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Eco Diesel
I just went and did a test drive. I've read nothing but good things about the 2.0L, so it was less about giving me a reason to choose it and more about trying to find a reason NOT to choose it.

The test drive was a blast, it was just as peppy and powerful as I was hoping, and it was $1K less, which allowed me to order other fun stuff.

That's it.
I traded my 6 for a diesel and love it!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
I have the 3.6 ESS with the manual and am not a fan of the combo after living with it for a few years.

The engine is not a good match with this transmission due to no low end torque and the horrible rev hang when shifting at higher RPMs.

This annoyance, along with the dead spot in the steering does not stop me from enjoying my Jeep though!

It's still my favorite vehicle, and I'm holding out hope that we all get to see Jeeps rolling off the line within the next couple years with the inline 6 turbo engine currently in development. Will trade mine in the second they announce this.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Previously owned a pentastar and had problems. Diesel just out of price range. Test drove a turbo for a week in Colorado 5k to10k+ feet elevation. Loved it came home and ordered one. Been cruising back roads of NH and VT this week and this thing loves the hills.

Sponsored

xylodan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I had a 2 dr JK and then a 4 dr JK and always thought they'd both be better in a diesel. Ever since diesel was an option, I've wanted one. I test drove a few and it was everything I hoped it would be.

Torque is what I'm into, same as on my motorycle. The 4xe has the torque, but I don't love being an early adopter of new tech and the third gen diesel engine ticked all the right boxes for me.

So far I have zero regrets.

SirDapperDom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Wrangler Sport, 1990 240sx Hatch
Ordered a 3.6 etorque only because that was (is?) the only option available when spec'ing the Xtreme Recon Pkg.

The 2.0T felt a little "meh" to me when I drove it.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
snip...

It's still my favorite vehicle, and I'm holding out hope that we all get to see Jeeps rolling off the line within the next couple years with the inline 6 turbo engine currently in development. Will trade mine in the second they announce this.
I'd have to drive a "modern-day" turbo-engine-vehicle before I put my money down on one. To date, I haven't driven a turbo I like. Turbo lag. The Ford Bronco reviews from (specificly) TFL now being released, mention (somewhat in passing) the ~1/2 second delay. They kind of gloss over it, but they say it. Maybe they are trying to stay in good standing with Ford. Not picking on Ford, but as far as i know, turbo lag is still a thing. Maybe the eTorgue and 4Xe electric systems smooth this out. I hope so.

When I step on it, I want it to go, not 1/2 second later.

In-line turbo 6 currently in development? Hard to beleive that will ever happen, or needs to happen, or will fit. Jeep already has, what, six power plants? The current choices are very good IMO.

Last edited:

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd have to drive a "modern-day" turbo-engine-vehicle before I put my money down on one. To date, I haven't driven a turbo I like. Turbo lag. The Ford Bronco reviews from (specificly) TFL now being released, mention (somewhat in passing) the ~1/2 second delay. They kind of gloss over it, but they say it. Maybe they are trying to stay in good standing with Ford. Not picking on Ford, but as far as i know, turbo lag is still a thing. Maybe the eTorgue and 4Xe electric systems smooth this out. I hope so.

When I step on it, I want it to go, not 1/2 second later.

In-line turbo 6 currently in development? Hard to beleive that will ever happen, or needs to happen, or will fit. Jeep already has, what, six power plants? The current choices are very good IMO.
One can only hope. The twin turbos should help with the lack of low end torque that the current V6 suffers from.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fcas-pentastar-v6-could-soon-make-way-for-a-turbocharged-i6/

madm73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Willys, 21 HD Pan America
3.6. I wanted the 3.0 but we don't drive enough to justify it. Drove the 2.0 and wasn't impressed, so I went with what I knew, its called bias. I will always crave the 3.0 or 392, so someday....someday.....

Sponsored

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
One can only hope. The twin turbos should help with the lack of low end torque that the current V6 suffers from.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/fcas-pentastar-v6-could-soon-make-way-for-a-turbocharged-i6/
I was quoting someone that said an inline 6 twin turbo was in development. Twin turbo on the V6 seems more likely assuming Jeep is looking to bring a twin turbo to market.

Unsavory, are you thinking inline 6 twin turbo or V6 twin turbo? Would an inline 6 fit? Inline six is longer (I would think, depending on displacement) than the V6 or a V8.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was quoting someone that said an inline 6 twin turbo was in development. Twin turbo on the V6 seems more likely assuming Jeep is looking to bring a twin turbo to market.

Unsavory, are you thinking inline 6 twin turbo or V6 twin turbo? Would an inline 6 fit? Inline six is longer (I would think, depending on displacement) than the V6 or a V8.
Yes, a Pentastar inline 6 twin turbo has been rumored to be in development since 2018. The rumors say that the Pentastar 3.6 V6 did not respond well to turbo charging, and so they set out to develop an all new inline 6 twin turbo to eventually replace the 3.6 V6.

Whether or not we will ever see it in the Wrangler would be pure speculation. But if they do indeed release the motor, I don't see why not. The engine is rumored to be short enough to fit a wide variety of vehicles.

It was supposed to be released for 2022 or 2023. But we'll see.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to build a little pentastar 3.6l turbo. You wouldn't need much boost, maybe 5lbs to make it immensely better at altitude.

I don't want to deal with turbo lag on a 2.0l 4cyl nor the 4xe's gimmicky 2.0l hybrid that's 800lbs heavier than the 2l turbo (and worse gas mileage unless you're constantly charging it).

I also won't deal with a modern diesel's issues....

I realize these companies build vehicles for profit and are constrained by regulatory BS but damn.. it seems so clear. We want a gasoline powered, larger(er) displacement, forced induction powerplant! And a beefy manual transmission/clutch trans with a ratio that makes f-in sense.

Ford seems to have done it with the Bronco.. c'mon jeep.

Last edited:

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the e torque V6 take care of this? The dead stop first rotation is all electric pushing you forward?
No, etorque electric takeoff assist cuts out at 1800 rpm, if memory serves. The 3.6 doesn't wake up until twice that rpm.
Sponsored