Under seat powered subs??

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Not knowing a whole lot about audio upgrades, I've been searching around, trying to figure out how to upgrade my audio quality without breaking the bank and losing precious cargo space. I've been looking at powered subs. Do those fit under the seat very well?
A buddy of mine (non jeep owner) strongly suggested against a powered sub under the seat. He said it wouldn't sound that much better..

I'm not looking to enter audio contests. I just want a little more sound/bump with the top & doors off.
It also seems like a safer way to go because it wouldn't be out in plain sight like a sub in the rear cargo area.

Suggestions or opinions?
Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Not knowing a whole lot about audio upgrades, I've been searching around, trying to figure out how to upgrade my audio quality without breaking the bank and losing precious cargo space. I've been looking at powered subs. Do those fit under the seat very well?
A buddy of mine (non jeep owner) strongly suggested against a powered sub under the seat. He said it wouldn't sound that much better..

I'm not looking to enter audio contests. I just want a little more sound/bump with the top & doors off.
It also seems like a safer way to go because it wouldn't be out in plain sight like a sub in the rear cargo area.

Suggestions or opinions?
Have you looked at a stealth box or changing out the plastic panel in the rear to accommodate a sub?

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I can't speak to doing an underseat sub. It's something i've considered but you then won't be able to put the rear seat down (assuming that's where you're putting it). Might be worth looking into updating your roll bar speakers to something with a bit more bass. if you ahve the stock system, it's just some small speakers up there but you can get mounts for 6.5in or 6x9s up there. These are ones i've been considering: Polk Audio DB651

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
@rts4714 thanks. I have replace the soundbar speakers with some jbl 6.5s. Still lacking that bump. Not looking to rattle my windows, but I enjoy a wide variety of music and some of it is better with deeper bass.
The powered sub would go under the front passenger seat. After that, could I hook a smaller amp to the rollbar speakers?

Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
@rts4714 thanks. I have replace the soundbar speakers with some jbl 6.5s. Still lacking that bump. Not looking to rattle my windows, but I enjoy a wide variety of music and some of it is better with deeper bass.
The powered sub would go under the front passenger seat. After that, could I hook a smaller amp to the rollbar speakers?
Personally i'd run a single amp to power everything. especially since you're not really looking to go louder. 2nd amp would just increase output and more of a pain in wiring and distributors and such. someone else might be able to chime in with more on that though. I've never done a multi-amp set up

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Personally i'd run a single amp to power everything. especially since you're not really looking to go louder. 2nd amp would just increase output and more of a pain in wiring and distributors and such. someone else might be able to chime in with more on that though. I've never done a multi-amp set up
Power distribution isn’t really a problem. They make distribution blocks, just need your main power cable at the correct gauge for your amps combined. I did this in my last truck.

I think an under seat would probably get you where you want to be and compliment the lower dash speakers bass well. Look a bunch of premium systems in vehicles and many rely on 6” or 8” subs to round them out.

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Power distribution isn’t really a problem. They make distribution blocks, just need your main power cable at the correct gauge for your amps combined. I did this in my last truck.

I think an under seat would probably get you where you want to be and compliment the lower dash speakers bass well. Look a bunch of premium systems in vehicles and many rely on 6” or 8” subs to round them out.
lol, like I said, someone who has done it before would know better :LOL:
I agree with your speaker assessment though. I had a 10in in my grand cherokee from factory (alpine system) and it was a well rounded out sound. Obviously, was a bigger vehicle and the speaker farther back.

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
lol, like I said, someone who has done it before would know better :LOL:
I agree with your speaker assessment though. I had a 10in in my grand cherokee from factory (alpine system) and it was a well rounded out sound. Obviously, was a bigger vehicle and the speaker farther back.
I was powering two twelves for my ram. It could get obnoxious when I wanted it to. A second amp powering components all around.

But one of the best sounding stock systems I have heard is the THX certified one in our Navigator and it only uses a 8” to round out the 13 other speakers. You don’t need to go big, you need some balance IMHO.

Sponsored

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I was powering two twelves for my ram. It could get obnoxious when I wanted it to. A second amp powering components all around.

But one of the best sounding stock systems I have heard is the THX certified one in our Navigator and it only uses a 8” to round out the 13 other speakers. You don’t need to go big, you need some balance IMHO.
dude, thos THX systems are crazy. I'm anxious to hear the mac system in the wagoneer

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
This thread may be worth a read

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/plug-and-play-amp-upgrade-to-basic-system.51309/

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Thanks. I actually went through most of it last night before my thread was posted.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I actually went through most of it last night before my thread was posted.
Gotcha. The OP installed an 8” powered sub under seat and then added small amp for speakers. Sounds like where you are heading :like:
Sponsored