Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Kelly Blue Book says my 2018 Sahara with every major option on it and only 6,200 miles is worth $45,000 to a dealer. I paid $38,000 four months before the pandemic hit.

I added about $3,500 in Katzkin leather seats and a Mopar lift.

I barely drive it. I am tempted to get the cash and run. Perhaps wait a few months for the market to cool off and see what else to get.

I still have the OE wheels and front bumper. I may swap the Quadratec wheels and steel bumper and sell them separately. I never got around to installing the winch.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Kelly Blue Book says my 2018 Sahara with every major option on it and only 6,200 miles is worth $45,000 to a dealer. I paid $38,000 four months before the pandemic hit.

I added about $3,500 in Katzkin leather seats and a Mopar lift.

I barely drive it. I am tempted to get the cash and run. Perhaps wait a few months for the market to cool off and see what else to get.

I still have the OE wheels and front bumper. I may swap the Quadratec wheels and steel bumper and sell them separately. I never got around to installing the winch.

Thoughts?
Most dealers use N.A.D.A

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I have nothing but gut feelings to justify my current opinion.

If you don’t need the vehicle and are willing to wait 2-3 years, you can probably make money. If you need it, or can’t wait that long, I’d keep it. The reason I FEEL that way is supply disruptions are on the rise across the global economy constraining availability of products for consumption. We all felt it with hand sanitizer and PPE a year ago. The next time it touched my life was computer hardware. My 3 year old hardware is reselling for its old MSRP or higher and nobody can reliably find the newest stuff. When they do, it is marked up over 100% bu a reseller/scalper (pick your noun based on your views). Now car production is being impacted, driving prices up for new and used. Add in an emerging flurry of economic activity and shortages will get worse and paralyze additional supply chains.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
My dealer uses KBB, so yea, that is nice. But in reality you'd only be up a couple thousand after those leather seats you put in, and is that really worth getting rid of your jeep to you?

For me, I had gone through 2 vehicles in the span of about 5-6 years before I got my jeep, and that was exhausting. I know some people like getting a new vehicle every 2-3 years, but I just can't do it. I'm usually a 6+ years kind of person for vehicles. I want to keep this one until my daughter can drive (and she's 2 lol).

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The trade in value for my 2019 is $2,000 more than I paid for. could probably get this from carmax. It is nuts. Tempting to get back to stock and buy a 2dr rubi since I own it. I dont even need 2 cars right now so I could wait.

I put so much time and effort into it though. I am keeping it. I like to live my life, usually keep cars for at least 7 years. I am just gonna enjoy the fact that I bought my jeep at a good time. I customized it and I am attached to it. Plus I am definitely over 2k on mods. Oh and my 2020 Camry right at the beginning of the pandemic.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thoughts?
Thoughts about what? Valuations are up on everything, Aldo. Whatever is put into your left hand will go straight out of your right hand in short order.

Just this morning, I stopped to look at a 2003 Jeep TJ with 181K. It was no better than a 40' vehicle, with a shopworn provenance increasingly evident as I approached it. $8K firm; tailgate and rocker cancer included. Perhaps it's the seller's ticket out of poverty.

Out of curiosity, I too have been looking up current valuations/list prices/starting auction bids for a variety of things that I own. Some have wheels, some don't.

I had estimated, for example, that one particular item might now be worth almost twice what I paid for it just two years ago (I'll leave you to guess the item.) Turns out, my estimate was too low...by almost an order of magnitude. 😶

At least one market-affiliated site values my 2021 Jeep for more than I paid for it (a four figure variance).

Best to hold one's position and keep one's powder dry, say I.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL resale values are insane! HD Plywood 27th April 2021

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have nothing but gut feelings to justify my current opinion.

If you don’t need the vehicle and are willing to wait 2-3 years, you can probably make money. If you need it, or can’t wait that long, I’d keep it. The reason I FEEL that way is supply disruptions are on the rise across the global economy constraining availability of products for consumption. We all felt it with hand sanitizer and PPE a year ago. The next time it touched my life was computer hardware. My 3 year old hardware is reselling for its old MSRP or higher and nobody can reliably find the newest stuff. When they do, it is marked up over 100% bu a reseller/scalper (pick your noun based on your views). Now car production is being impacted, driving prices up for new and used. Add in an emerging flurry of economic activity and shortages will get worse and paralyze additional supply chains.
Yeah, I’m with you. Every morning there’s a headline on Auto News of another automaker forced to shut down production due to parts shortage.

Auto News estimates that resale values will peak by the end of May and start to ease after that. But they also are saying that production disruptions are likely to continue through the end of this year. So, who knows...

Thing is, by the time I come back to market, say in the fall, I’ll have to pay $60,000 to get something comparable to what I have now.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
The only thing I would add is that as the limited supply that is keeping demand for new and used cars sky high starts to ease, they will likely both ease together, as the supply of both will go up. So it may not be of any benefit to wait. (whenever that turns out to be anyway, not making any predictions on timing.)

The best case scenario in my op if you are able, would be to sell the Sahara while the value is still as high as possible, but then wait to purchase another vehicle till the market softens. That's not an option of course unless you have access to something else you can drive in the meantime.

Just my thoughts.
-Rob

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I would add is that as the limited supply that is keeping demand for new and used cars sky high starts to ease, they will likely both ease together, as the supply of both will go up. So it may not be of any benefit to wait. (whenever that turns out to be, not making any predictions on timing.)

The best case scenario in my op if you are able, would be to sell the Sahara while the value is still as high as possible, but then wait to purchase another vehicle till the market softens. That's not an option of course unless you own something else you can drive in the meantime.

Just my thoughts.
-Rob
I also own a 2018 124 Spider Abarth with 9,400 miles.

That’s become my daily driver to the gym, to the grocery store and the occasional Sunday drive with the top down.

That’s the extent of my driving these days.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL resale values are insane! 465F5855-3CEC-4CE8-AFC7-F07F4F603094

R1nZX

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2019 BMW M850i
Book trade-in value on my Ram pickup was $55k, but I couldn't find a dealer willing to actually pay that. And it was impeccable.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I also own a 2018 124 Spider Abarth with 9,400 miles.

That’s become my daily driver to the gym, to the grocery store and the occasional Sunday drive with the top down.

That’s the extent of my driving these days.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL resale values are insane! 465F5855-3CEC-4CE8-AFC7-F07F4F603094
Man those italians make good looking cars.
Sponsored